Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning Lovely ladies.

Wow so many new faces on here. Fantastic.

I am really taken with Indies suggestion about having a word for a theme for what you want to achieve or how you want to be. So much more manageable than a list dos and donts or unrealistic resolutions. which fall by the wayside.

So my word is "vitality".

I am going to use that as a spur to get me back on track to full health and improve my energy levels, to bring my blood sugar levels back down to the normal range, to lose weight, get fitter and stronger, to get more supple and flexible, and to boost my energy levels which are currently rock bottom.

Today is crisp and bright so I am going to wrap up warm and go for a little walk.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A warm welcome to all new posters and welcome back to others. Great to see you all. :)

Today is crisp and bright so I am going to wrap up warm and go for a little walk.

Good for you!:T

I'm just having a drink then I'm going to tackle the decorations. I've sorted through the boxes and binned/CS bagged the things I haven't used this year. I've also found a new home for them in an understairs cupboard that got the MK treatment so no more scrambling into the loft. I'll just keep the wreath on the door and my perpetual Christmas calendar out until Friday but otherwise I'll be reclaiming my home.

As I had time to myself this morning I sat and did the face massage at my desktop. I'm determined to get the hang of all the moves. I'm finding it very energising. Maybe it'd fit with your vitality theme LL.

I have a notepad to hand so I'm making a note of things I'd like to achieve this year as they come to mind. Interesting reading about your walk with DH yesterday Maddie. It's not that DH and I don't communicate at home but I find we always chat more when we're out either walking or in the car travelling somewhere. Captive audience I suppose!:rotfl:Like chanie I want to continue where we left off with the decorating before Christmas. The bedroom's not 100% finished as carpet didn't happen and I have more bedding to get but otherwise I'm delighted with it.

I did go to TKMaxx for a while yesterday. Nothing caught my eye in the bedding but I did buy myself some socks and tights (CK bamboo and Laura Ashley) as I've had them before and pleased with them. I also indulged my liking for Breton tops and bought this one
    http://www.crewclothing.co.uk/ultimate-breton-wfe006-greywhite/
    for £12.99. It'll look good with black jeans in the Spring/Summer.

Alcohol free and all healthy food planned for today so a good start to 2017 so far.:)
  • AlwaysAllie
    Options
    Walk planned here too though doglet is nearly 15 and a half so doesn't go far these days.

Have managed to perfume myself and even remembered to condition my hair when I washed it - that's a good start in my book.

The other thing I'm going to try to remember to do is wear earrings each day, I have lots I don't wear and it tends to be only when I go out which isn't that often!

For those back to the dreaded work tomorrow, enjoy the last day off.

AA
  • luvabargain
    Options
    Hi to everyone :j

I'm also a long time lurker but would like to join in this year, along with the £1000 emergency fund challenge and actually joining in The Old style forum where I also lurk.

I don't make any effort with myself other than daily showering and the occasional straightening of hair for work, I even decided six months ago to stop dyeing my hair and let the grey come through as why bother lol. BUT, I do feel very drab at the minute and think at forty six II need to start making an effort. I think others think that to as my mum bought me some miracle powder foundation for my face at Xmas lol.

So I think I'm going to start applying basic make up for work for starters , just needed to buy a new foundation which I've now got ( how can there be so many formulations in so many different shades!) and then rethink what I'm going to do about my hairstyle and the grey :( I've got drawers full of Liz Earle stuff which I really love but need to actually start using it daily instead of as a treat or when I can be bothered.

I do miles of walking with my dog, he's a border collie :) so I'm always outside and a bit windswept but get plenty of exercise. I need to do some Yoga and core strengthening though to keep me healthy.

AND I need to cut out the junk food and get back to cooking from scratch and eat healthier, natural foods.

I'm trying not to buy any more clothes unless I need them, so that may hamper my efforts to become fab. I need to wear what I've got instead of saving stuff for best as someone else mentioned.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and find them really helpful and motivating so thanks everyone :j
    Working hard to to pay off the mortgage within 5 years instead of 9 by considering every penny spent. Aiming to go part time the and enjoy a simple life with simple pleasures!
  • lessonlearned
    edited 2 January 2017 at 1:50PM
    Options
    I have just woken up from a nap. I still have a raging temperature but have decided to stop the antibiotics because they were making me feel so ill. The nausea and stomach pains. Chest palpitations, shakes and shivers are more than I could stand.
    Unlike my sister who has asthma I have good strong lungs so should be able to cope without antibs - if not I'll back to the doctors in a day or so.

A very big warm welcome to all our newbies.......

MAman I love your idea of a notebook to write down all your ideas. I aM goimg to copy that one and someone mentioned using g a fountain pen........what a fantastic idea. I actually have quite nice hand writing and I love using a "proper pen". In fact I keep looking at those italic pen sets....I would love to learn how to write italics.....wouldn't that be posh. :rotfl:

Anyhoo........I have a list of topics for us so rather than dive in and bamboozle you all I have decided to introduce them one at a time so we can explore them together and come up with shared ideas.

What do you think.

Anyway topic number one.......
  • lessonlearned
    edited 2 January 2017 at 2:08PM
    Options
    That is the question........

(With apologies to the Bard).

Whilst I can see the value of a detox it's not something I could cope with. I prefer a more gentle approach........probably because I have such a delicate stomach and the slightest thing can trigger a nasty IBS Attack.

My son and DIL did a recent detox. It was very strict and they really benefitted but it's not for me.

I prefer gently does it.

The other thing is I do think a detox is basically a quick fix which is fine if it helps kick start good eating habits. But if you then slip back into old bad habits then realistically you are soon back to square one.

I do think it's better to make sustainable long term changes.

Now we all fall off the wagon at Christmas - rich food, sweeties and chocolates, alcohol etc. I have been silly and eaten too much wheat. In. My defence I was visiting dad in hospital every day and was forced to,just grab what I could. Food on the run is nearly always wheat based, sandwiches, wraps, toasties etc. I should of course got better organised and taken in some soups or salads but I guess i wasn't really thinking straight..

Thats the point isn't it.....it's all about "mindfulness"' about thinking what we are doing and taking the time to plan ahead.

MAman is wonderful at this, very organised and expert at food budgeting and meal planning. I can be a bit haphazard at times so this is an area I want to improve on.

So ladies if you want to do a detox then by all means go ahead. I won't. I shall simply reduce alcohol intake, cut out all grains and go back to paleo, and cut out as much sugar as possible.

That will be a good start.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LoLo wrote: »
    Hi, happy new year. Can you tell me more about the mindful challenge and the meditation course. Are these things that are online? I've been thinking about meditating and mindfulness for a while but never got round to looking into it properly.

Hi LoLo

Meditation - there's an app on IOS/Android called Headspace. As with most things there is a free option and a (subscription based) paid option, but I went for free. I was going to do it last night but it said find a quiet place where you won't be disturbed for 10 minutes, so I'm going to put my veet on and try the first session in the bathroom whilst I wait to go in the shower :rotfl:

Mindfulness - this is run by a lady called Andrea, I think she's Australian but she works from all over the world. http://projectself.com.au/mindfulness-challenge I came across an e-book she did when I was looking into how I could feel better when I wake up in a morning and signed up to her newsletter and did this. She says so many things and I'm just like "Yes! I do that!" and it really increases your awareness.

I did Couch25K week 3 day 3 today to get to the stables, then I walked back; it's 2.4 miles each way. According to the weather forecast it "feels like -2" today and I can believe it! I'm looking forward to when I can run the whole lot so I won't get as cold. I need to go and have that shower now though!
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    DD265. Thanks for the link re mindfulness. I will look at that properly later this evening.

Now I don't often do this but I am going to take you to task.......

I think you have set yourself a lot of goals all in one go but if you think you can manage then you go girl. However for me the biggest and most important one on your list is the teeth cleaning!!!!!

Definitely a slap on the wrist there but I think you know that. ;)

Make that your number one goal - it really should be top on your to do list before you even think of anything else.

Going to bed in full slap now and again won't do too much damage to your skin as long as it's not too often but neglecting your teeth is an absolute no no. :eek:

If you are really pushed for time then concemtrate your efforts on the bedtime routine with a thorough clean and flossing EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

When I worked full time I couldnt always brush my teeth after lunch so I used to chew some sugar free gum. It does help keep down the harmful bacteria in the mouth.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Re the detox LL, you might want to read this:

http://www.statsguy.co.uk/detox-its-all-a-con/

Ultimately your body is designed to eliminate toxics and as long as you aren't overloading it, it should function properly. So maybe not do a detox, but rebalance your diet if it's out of kilter in any direction.

I'm planning on doing the 7-day sugar detox purely as a way of helping me to build a new habit as my diet has been shocking recently.

And I agree with you about the teeth (having had to pay for an implant which requires a lot of TLC!). In fact, I tend to use how well I'm looking after my teeth as a sign of how I'm feeling. If I'm being a bit slapdash then I know I'm feeling low. Normally I'll use tepe brushes, an electric toothbrush, floss and an airfloss, and possibly mouthwash afterward if I'm worried about my gums or still not feeling clean. It's amazing how much comes out at each stage :o

I't's FREEZING outside despite the sun so I'm concentrating on getting my post-xmas unpacking done and cleaning up so that the house feels restful and welcoming.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    In fact, I tend to use how well I'm looking after my teeth as a sign of how I'm feeling. If I'm being a bit slapdash then I know I'm feeling low.

That's exactly it. I never liked cleaning my teeth as a child, and now I go through phases as an adult depending on my mood. Last year I started seeing the hygienist every 3 months (dentist is 6 months) and I make a point to be honest with her about the upkeep I've been doing.

When I am behaving myself, I have a great electric toothbrush, know how to floss correctly (thanks to the previously mentioned hygienist) and use mouthwash.

I'm going to look for a habit tracker app - something where I can get a daily to-do list to mark as complete - to make sure I keep up with it this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure