Men - I despair

Options
12346»

Comments

• clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    As to the socks - yes, black socks with brown shoes are a no no. And people would see them, when he sat down. A younger man may be able to get away with a fashion statement of some sort, but (as we've already established) fashion and clothing aren't his thing. Cream/fawn socks were what he needed, and we have now got a pair.

Why are black socks with Brown shoes a no no. Everyone I've ever seen with Brown shoes wears black socks. Is it the trousers being white? Then again I always though white\cream socks and shoes was a massive no no.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    clint_S wrote: »
    Why are black socks with Brown shoes a no no. Everyone I've ever seen with Brown shoes wears black socks. Is it the trousers being white? Then again I always though white\cream socks and shoes was a massive no no.
    Dunno, it worked for John Travolta.

6da28525dae15e6da4c21481997ab67a.jpg

I'm still not getting the issue with the black socks. Admittedly I know nothing whatsoever about style and fashion but I thought that black socks went with everything.
  • WorkerBee
    Options
    Mebbe its about not wearing black (socks) to a wedding?
    Pulling myself together for 2020! Trying to keep a clean and tidy give.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Black socks - fine
    Cream trousers for a wedding - not fine
    (But maybe in Australia)
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This made me smile. I have a different problem: I know all my sizes, although, after an operation and a parastomal hernia, I had to start buying high waisted trousers. Now, try getting those in M&S, or anywhere else for that matter! For my daughter's wedding (divorced years ago) I wore the same suit I had worn to marry her mum. I rarely wear a suit, but it still fitted and still looked good, because I buy only quality clothes and shoes for best. Unfortunately, due to the above medical problem, I had to take the suit to a charity outlet some time ago. I have not worn a suit since, but for funerals, etc, I wear a blazer and high waist trousers. I hate dressing up and wearing a tie: I was 12 years a soldier and could not wait to start wearing jeans and T-shirts, which is my usual gear, even now at 71.

However, my wife is the one who drives me mad. She will not buy quality, spends a little as possible and is surprised when they wear out or fall to bits far too soon. She buys a lot from online catalogues and is always sending them back because they either do not fit, or she does not like something about them. As she is petite, I am always asking her to go to the stores which have "petite" ranges, but her complaint is that they are too expensive. I try to tell her that better quailty lasts longer, but it falls upon deaf ears, even when accompanied by the same advice from our (high-maintenance) dd.

Two years ago, my trusty black and brown "Clark's"shoes, 17 and 14 years old respectively, were showing signs of their age. I spent £150+ on their replacements, from a 'proper' shoe shop, with a 'proper' fitting service. I fully expect these to last me until my perch is empty, but I was not prepared for the reaction at the price, by my wife. Once again, I could not convince her that quality lasts. I think what really annoys her, is that my dd supports my POV: in her mid-40's, she has quality clothes and shoes from teenage years, which still look good. Although I feel for her partner, who has the same taste in daily clothes as myself, but has around 10% of the storage space as our dd.

Monday, and we were to go to dd's for a buffet Christmas lunch. I was in my jeans, the wife decided to dress up - full make up, nicely dressed, looking lovely. But why? I asked, followed by "It's Christmas, you peasant!" So I dressed to impress - absolutely no one - we had a lovely day with my dd and family, came back after 5 hours and changed back into everyday clothes. I still don't know why.

Women! Can't live without them. It's never boring, though, even after all these years...;) :)
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • splishsplash
    Options
    OP I saw this and thought of you....

link...
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OH is the same. A week before his brothers wedding he decided to announce his suit was too big :mad: When he bought the suit he was much bigger and everything fitted. I then discovered that trying to find a suit with a 48 inch chest jacket and 36 inch waist trousers was impossible :mad: He now leaves all his clothes buying to me.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Zeni
    Zeni Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    My husband is so like this.. Went to a friends wedding a few years back and I asked him if he was all set what he was going to wear the day before he said he was fine... only to realise 5 minutes before we left he couldn't find his black smart shoes anywhere and remembered he had thrown them out. Last minute Tesco dash to buy shoes! Then did the same thing a year later but realising his black trousers were ripped the day of another wedding.
    I don't get how hard it is to just lay out an outfit the day before and check its all there!
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Dunno, it worked for John Travolta.

6da28525dae15e6da4c21481997ab67a.jpg

I'm still not getting the issue with the black socks. Admittedly I know nothing whatsoever about style and fashion but I thought that black socks went with everything.

Nope, not even Travolta.:eek:
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure