Men - I despair

Options

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I had to laugh at this because years ago my dad went out and bought such an inappropriate new suit for my wedding (a loud Prince of Wales check) that my mother and I refused to be seen dead in the church with him wearing it. I still remember the arguments it caused. He had to go out and buy another one but refused to have anybody with him when he chose it.

So yes, Men !!! But we still love them, don't we? For the first 15 years of our marriage my husband refused to wear any colour shirt other than white with a suit . The day I actually persuaded him into a pale blue shirt for work the heavens nearly fell in. After 40 years we're getting there slowly but still no exotic T shirts with slogans or logos or Hawayan shirts with palms on them !
    I really couldn't have cared less what my dad wore to my wedding as long as he was there. Hawaiian shirt? Great. No idea what a Prince of Wales check is but it sounds fun.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »
    Nope, no sexisim here.

My mother is the same. Drives me bonkers. Refuses to try anything on then gets home and none of it fits. Drives back the next day takes it back and gets something else... its a never ending cycle....

How does that affect you to annoy you so much?
  • dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My OH only has black socks! Should he not be wearing them with his cream trousers and brown shoes? Genuinely didn't know sock colour mattered!!

He actually does have some bright striped ones because he was given them to wear at a wedding where all the groomsmen had to wear the same socks. This wedding sock etiquette is new to me!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why have you titled this thread 'Men - I despair'?

It's not 'men' is it? It's just one man.... so that's an over-reaction straight away.

As to your OH - if there's time to go and buy socks then there's time to get more trousers too - so where's the catastrophe? Whilst you were typing on here you could have been ordering a replacement pair instead... some chains do overnight delivery for collection in store.

No need for drama. It could all have been sorted so simply.
    :hello:
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My OH only has black socks! Should he not be wearing them with his cream trousers and brown shoes? Genuinely didn't know sock colour mattered!!

He actually does have some bright striped ones because he was given them to wear at a wedding where all the groomsmen had to wear the same socks. This wedding sock etiquette is new to me!

Cor - don't worry - not everyone is that prescriptive.

No need for drama over the socks - if trousers are the right length (or longer) then no-one should be able to see the socks whilst standing.

No-one really cares about what colour sock you flash whilst seated - in fact, it can sometimes be a fashion statement to flash odd socks or clashing colours.

Anyway - surely the most important thing will always be that family and friends make it to the wedding... their attire will reflect their personalities and that is why we love them.
    :hello:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doesn't every man know their own trouser size, in the same way that they know their shoe size? I can get the waist being wrong, but leg length?
    No, my husband doesnt know his leg length. My daughter asked him what shoe size he was just before Christmas. "8 i think" he said looking at me. "9" i told her.

Waist size, just forget it.:rotfl:
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    He didn't try the trousers on when he bought them. They're too long for him. ...
    AND, it hasn't crossed his mind to think about what socks he's going to wear. His trousers are cream, his shoes are brown and he 'thinks' he might wear black socks.

Just have a quiet word with the wedding photographer and make sure his feet are hidden behind some flowers.

I'm with you on the black socks with brown shoes though. That's a hanging offence.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Treehugger321
    Options
    In the scheme of things the colour of his socks is not a big deal. Don't most men just wear black socks with everything anyway? What colour did you have in mind?
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just have a quiet word with the wedding photographer and make sure his feet are hidden behind some flowers.
    Reminds me of an article I read about Peter Cushing - apparently during the filming of the first Star Wars film he insisted on wearing moccasins - and so no footage exists of his feet, which made the CGI recreation of him for Rogue One rather difficult.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    The OP said it was "his" daughters wedding, not "their" daughter ?
    Noted, although i'm not really sure it makes any difference to my answer.:(
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure