Speeding on motorway

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not many police cars will be fitted with VASCAR these days.

Plenty of the personell will be wearing watches or carrying mobile phones with a stopwatch as part of the timer app.

He can be stood in the street and do the same thing. In England and Wales doesn't need another officer for corroboration, the device - a stopwatch and a known distance is all he needs to corroborate his opinion.

The amount of unnecessary pedantry on here is ridiculous. You'd think someone was trying to show how clever they are as if the rest of us care...
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    Plenty of the personell will be wearing watches or carrying mobile phones with a stopwatch as part of the timer app.

He can be stood in the street and do the same thing. In England and Wales doesn't need another officer for corroboration, the device - a stopwatch and a known distance is all he needs to corroborate his opinion.

The amount of unnecessary pedantry on here is ridiculous. You'd think someone was trying to show how clever they are as if the rest of us care...

Why would you be stood at the side of the road with a stopwatch?

Given the fact you need something to measure the distance in order to calculate the distance, why not let the cars device do it and you have a recording of it too.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    About 12 years ago I was clocked at 98mph on the A1. The road was deserted and my car was the filling in a Mercedes sandwich at about 11pm on a Sunday evening. Anyhow, both Mercs peeled off up the slip road together and, as they moved aside I saw the police car parked on the roundabout above the motorway as I flew underneath them like a slingshot!

Once they caught me up (at which point I was doing 68mph like a rather unconvincing vicar)! I received an on the spot SP50, 3 points and a £60 fine, but the 2 year, "young drivers" rule didn't apply to me.

At the time I was remember actually being relieved to see 98 on their equipment because, back then, 30mph over any limit was considered to be the real "danger zone". I assume this must no longer be the case judging by the less than optimistic responses of most of the posters above.

Also OP, if the police equipment recorded 98mph then after the margin of error factor of their speed measuring equipment and your car, you must have been showing nearer 110mph on your speedo when their measurement took place. This isn't a speed you can reach by accident so be humble, remorseful, and don't try and make up any excuses. :)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    There are very few occasions today when you can safely drive at 100mph on our motorways without putting somebody, least of all yourself, at risk.

Try the Northern reaches of the M6 or the M74 in the wee small hours of the morning.

Frequently there's not a glimmer of another vehicles lights, heading North or South, as far ahead and behind as you can see for mile after boring mile.

Sometimes I've not seen another vehicle for well over an hour at a time - so there would be very little risk to anyone else in having a bit of a 'blow the cobwebs away' higher speed.

Of course I don't do that and I do not condone breaking the law.

But sometimes the law is an !!!.

Many motorways have variable speed limits - I welcome the day when they are able to increase the speed as well as reduce it.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Why would you be stood at the side of the road with a stopwatch?

Given the fact you need something to measure the distance in order to calculate the distance, why not let the cars device do it and you have a recording of it too.

Stop being obtuse.

My point is that you don't need any equipment other than a stopwatch of some description and a known measured distance. The white boxes in the middle of the lane counts as one of these and they are a set distance apart and accepted as such in court. The policeman doesn't need video for a safe conviction, just as he doesn't have to stop you to report you for the alleged crime.

You aren't Bigjil are you? He used to be obtuse like this.
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    Stop being obtuse.

My point is that you don't need any equipment other than a stopwatch of some description and a known measured distance. The white boxes in the middle of the lane counts as one of these and they are a set distance apart and accepted as such in court. The policeman doesn't need video for a safe conviction, just as he doesn't have to stop you to report you for the alleged crime.

You aren't Bigjil are you? He used to be obtuse like this.

And what is that distance?

You need a police vehicle to measure it.;)
  • The speed of 97 means you will get a summons to court.
    Assuming a guilty plea then:
    Maximum fine is £1000
    Penalty Points issued 3 - 6. These will be valid for 3 years and remain on your licence for 4 years from the date of the oftence (not conviction).
    New drivers (full licence for less than 2 years) have their licence withdrawn when they reach 6 points. Note this isnt the same as being disqualified.
    You will have to retake the theory test and the standard driving test again.

It's going to be expensive!
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    runforlife wrote: »
    The speed of 97 means you will get a summons to court.
    Assuming a guilty plea then:
    Maximum fine is £1000
    Penalty Points issued 3 - 6. These will be valid for 3 years and remain on your licence for 4 years from the date of the oftence (not conviction).
    New drivers (full licence for less than 2 years) have their licence withdrawn when they reach 6 points. Note this isnt the same as being disqualified.
    You will have to retake the theory test and the standard driving test again.

It's going to be expensive!

1. The maximum fine for motorway speeding offences is £2,500 not £1,000. But fines are income related, and subject to a 33% discount for an early guitly plea.

2.. Disqualification is a possibility instead of points.

3. You will also have to pay costs (£85?) and a victim surcharge of 10% of the fine (minimum £20).
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,206 Forumite
    The actual fine is likely to be Band B - which means approximately your weekly post-tax income (reduced by a third if you plead guilty). The only way it would be anything like £2500 (or even £1000) would be if you are unusually wealthy.
  • Car_54 wrote: »
    1. The maximum fine for motorway speeding offences is £2,500 not £1,000. But fines are income related, and subject to a 33% discount for an early guitly plea.

2.. Disqualification is a possibility instead of points.

3. You will also have to pay costs (£85?) and a victim surcharge of 10% of the fine (minimum £20).

It is but it shouldn't be used to stop the revocation of his licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure