Tesco Bank customers money disappeared & fraud messages

Options

Comments

• bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    On radio 5 live this afternoon an expert said it was likely to have been a state sponsored cyber attack, where a huge number of requests were made on Tesco via the 'card holder not present' type of transaction.

Cheers everyone fj
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got the text today, had logged in this morning, and again just now, I've been lucky, thankfully because also have the savings and saver for the DDS, and the saver is well stocked with excess cash since 1.07% at the moment. Both my passwords are 17 and 14 character random letter number and symbols, I doubt this helped in this case because so many accounts were hacked, it sounds like they must have had a list of debit numbers and dates plus security numbers?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Apparently 20,000 customers have had money fraudulently taken from their accounts with a further 20,000 attempts where the tranfer was blocked - 40,000 in all. That's an awful lot of phishing (having first in some unexplained way obtained the email addresses of Tesco current account customers) that no one had noticed or mentioned to Tesco. Did not one person who got that phishing email spot it and report it to Tesco or here? Did you get one? An attempt was made to take £300 from my account and I'm darn sure I didn't get one and nor do I give card details to phishers.

Had it been down to customer error then I'm sure Tesco would have liked that to be known rather taking all the blame themselves.

Nor was the info obtained from an on-line retailer because the details would have related to several different banks and for the same reason skimming wasn't involved. Nor were current accounts hacked as implied in the daft article on this site by "Senior MSE Reporter", Callum Brodie.

So that seems leave some tinker having gained access to a database of Tesco's debit card details, possibly via a third party, as Tesco have claimed, who would know those details .

I agree, now its clear is 20k customers and not 2k, then phishing is out as an explanation.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Surely ,if a number of accounts have fraudulent payments pending, the bank can trace the requests to source accounts ?
    Guess it depends if you have a way to identify that a payment is fraudulent. If it's an online transaction then there may not be a source account.
    Despite some of the comments here it does seem that customer facing sites have not been compromised and the fraud is via some backend system and customers have not done anything wrong.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    customers have not done anything wrong.

This is the FEAR! :eek:

"THEY" can hack my bank, ANY BANK, and take my money. :eek:

I want my old branch based banking back.

I want them to scan my face and my finger print every time I set up a new Payee.

Small transactions can carry on unfettered.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    This is the FEAR! :eek:

"THEY" can hack my bank, ANY BANK, and take my money. :eek:

I want my old branch based banking back.

I want them to scan my face and my finger print every time I set up a new Payee.

Small transactions can carry on unfettered.

.... because Branch banking is sooo secure...
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    .... because Branch banking is sooo secure...

If they scanned her face and finger print, it would be.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    If they scanned her face and finger print, it would be.

That's not going to stop a bank robber. Most of 'em have already worked out that you need to put on gloves and a balacava before they start pointing the sawn-off at the cashiers.

Tesco Bank have simply been robbed.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco's are now the best bank to be with.

In future if money goes missing from your account they can't hide behind feeble excuses saying it's your fault, thst their systems are secure, and so on.

They now have a public track record that their cyber security is rubbish, so we can all use that in future if we have a problem with any dosh thst goes missing

Cheers Tesco, made my day fj
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a pound in one of their current accounts. I received their terrifying text this morning. I really hope my pound is safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure