LuxStyle Quickmax invoicing scam

Options

Comments

• Jomdaisy
    Options
    naedanger wrote: »
    You don't have to email then. That is one suggestion, and if you were dealing with a reputable company it would be sensible. You explain you (or your daughter) never actually ordered anything, they check their records, realise their mistake and stop.

However in my view they appear to be far from reputable. If you respond I think it will just encourage them to pursue you or your daughter further. I certainly would not give them an email address if they don't have this already.

I would completely ignore them until they actually start legal action, which they won't do, because they will know you or your daughter never actually ordered. They want to frighten a small proportion of recipients into paying. The more you engage with them the more they will consider you concerned and so susceptible to threats.

If you don't respond they will need to pay for letters so I suspect they will stop sooner than if they were able to send emails which would cost them almost nothing.

Explain to your daughter that entering her details is not enough in itself enough to bind her to anything, and that the company is in the wrong not her, and any person in authority would see that clearly.

I have told her plenty of times not to click on the ads and offers on things like Facebook, hopefully she's learned a lesson with this one! I'm just going to ignore these people, I've reported them to all of the organisations I can and if they do happen to have her email address and start using it, I'll block it (I've had a look at her settings and it seems pretty straightforward).

Thanks for the help :)
  • Danielle1229
    Options
    Please let me know how you get on with trading standards
  • BlueKenny85
    BlueKenny85 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    This company have been promoting themselves via Swagbucks lately, sign up place an order and get so many Swagbucks in return, last week it was Quickmax, a few weeks ago the Blackhead Killer.

I placed a FAKE order with them for both products many times on different accounts, using a completely fake email and address / postcode / name (fake as it, so stupid sounding, there was not a cat in hells chance anyone was called that or lived there!) they clearly do not check these things very well!

Add items to basket, add fake name / address / postcode, it comes up 'low stock' to get you to check out in a hurry, then sends you to PayPal, exit page without signing in and instantly Swagbucks are credited for buying said product.

I suspect the scammers they are have been equally scammed themselves of late by people using Swagbucks!
  • Bevv128
    Bevv128 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    hi , did you have to pay for the online form ?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bevv128 wrote: »
    hi , did you have to pay for the online form ?

HiBevv128, welcome to the forums.

Who are you asking, or what form are you talking about?
  • Bevv128
    Bevv128 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    resolution form with the European Commission. Someone recommended going to them. My daughter was enquiringly after the price of some masks from lux style , they sent them, although my daughter never ordered. They are offering them now at half price , I am worried about not paying. I have reported them to danish ombudsman who already have a case open against them
    Not happy
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Bevv128 wrote: »
    resolution form with the European Commission. Someone recommended going to them. My daughter was enquiringly after the price of some masks from lux style , they sent them, although my daughter never ordered. They are offering them now at half price , I am worried about not paying. I have reported them to danish ombudsman who already have a case open against them
    Not happy
    I wouldn't bother about filling in any forms.

Can I suggest you read post#83, which I think answers all your questions?

To save you looking for it, here it is again:
    naedanger wrote: »
    The key point is that they cannot force you to pay unless they have good evidence you actually agreed to buy the items (and even then you would have cancellation rights). If you just ignore them there is nothing they can do to you. They may (and probably will) issue lots of threats but they can just be ignored.

If you wish to report them go and speak to Citizen's Advice and they may report the company to Trading Standards.

If you are concerned they might send debt collectors then don't be concerned. Firstly it is unlikely they will do this and if they do you just tell the collectors to go away unless they can provide evidence you actually bought the items (which they won't be able to produce).

If you are concerned they might damage you credit rating then again don't be concerned. I think credit reference agencies will only record any failure to pay under regulated credit agreements e.g. from financial firms or utility providers and from unpaid court debts (i.e. where a party wins in court and you fail to pay). So I cannot see this firm getting any legitimate credit reference agency to hold any information on this purchase unless they took you to court and won (which they wouldn't) and you then didn't pay. And even if they did (which is very unlikely) you could insist they correct it under the data protection act.

Unfortunately it is unlikely to be easy to get the company to stop sending threats. But just ignore them unless they concern actual court action. (And there is no way they would want to take the matter to court as they are in the wrong.)

In summary... ignore them.
  • BarbaraA13
    Options
    Hi
    My 12 year old daughter clicked on a link through Instagram. Last night she received a package with facemasks in and an invoice for £86. I have emailed them and they have said that I can send the package back at my cost (around £20 plus pounds) or keep it and they will discount the goods by 50%! My daughter did not order the goods. She simply put her name and address in to see the price of the items. I have told them that this is an unsolicited parcel and I will contact Trading Standard and alsotake legal advice. I am just not sure of the position with the parcel being sent to a 12 year old. Surely a contract can not be made or formed with a child/minor - I could be wrong though?
    thanks
  • wealdroam
    Options
    BarbaraA13 wrote: »
    Hi
    My 12 year old daughter clicked on a link through Instagram. Last night she received a package with facemasks in and an invoice for £86. I have emailed them and they have said that I can send the package back at my cost (around £20 plus pounds) or keep it and they will discount the goods by 50%! My daughter did not order the goods. She simply put her name and address in to see the price of the items. I have told them that this is an unsolicited parcel and I will contact Trading Standard and alsotake legal advice. I am just not sure of the position with the parcel being sent to a 12 year old. Surely a contract can not be made or formed with a child/minor - I could be wrong though?
    thanks
    Technically, a contract can be made with a minor, but it cannot be enforced.

The best advice is to ignore any correspondence from them.

Now they have an email address too, you can expect even more hassle - just be strong - ignore them.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2017 at 12:29PM
    Options
    BarbaraA13 wrote: »
    Hi
    My 12 year old daughter clicked on a link through Instagram. Last night she received a package with facemasks in and an invoice for £86. I have emailed them and they have said that I can send the package back at my cost (around £20 plus pounds) or keep it and they will discount the goods by 50%!
    Personally I think you should just have completely ignored them. I suggest you just ignore them from now on.
    My daughter did not order the goods. She simply put her name and address in to see the price of the items.
    Plenty of anecdotal evidence that that is happening to others also.
    I have told them that this is an unsolicited parcel and I will contact Trading Standard and also take legal advice.
    Follow through on this threat by speaking to Citizen's Advice.
    I am just not sure of the position with the parcel being sent to a 12 year old. Surely a contract can not be made or formed with a child/minor - I could be wrong though?
    thanks
    Children have the capacity to enter some contracts e.g. for necessities (see link below). However I agree she could not be bound by a contract to buy such items, especially on credit. In any event, regardless of her age, she did not agree to the purchase so there was no contract. She, and you, have no legal obligations to the company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_in_English_law
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport