New Post Advanced Search

Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

edited 12 November 2018 at 3:33PM in Mobiles
666 replies 177.9K views

Replies

• brookhousebrookhouse Forumite
    81 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    No, Lebara voicemail comes out of your inclusive minutes. Of course if you are PAYG then you have to pay (as you go!)
  • edited 13 August at 10:10AM
    jmm8997jmm8997 Forumite
    26 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 August at 10:10AM
    Live chat completed with 3.  12 month contract, 12GB allowance, Go Roam international access, WiFi hotspot etc for £8 per month. Going from 8GB etc for £9.24 to 12GB for £8. As they go through the Ts & Cs for the new contract, (which they expect a quick "Yes" to each segment), watch out for the (paraphrasing) "Would you like us to get you some cleaning wipes, only £6?"
  • ExpostieExpostie Forumite
    3 posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Giffgaff have recently introduced a new plan their golden sim I think it is called,  £10. For a 9gb unlimited calls & texts recurring goody bag  so think good value. 
  • mpn79mpn79 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Morning all, my Vodafone contract has come to an end and I am looking to go onto a SIM only contract.  I have looked at what Vodafone can offer and there are far better deals available on other networks including come that piggy back on the Vodafone infrastructure.  I only need a 2GB data, unlimited calls and Texts and to be able to use it in Europe whilst that is still available.  So, I got in touch with Vodafone last Friday through they're live chat and after an age got put through to their disconnection department.  I explained the situation and said that I was giving them the opportunity to retain me as a customer who has been with the for a number of years and used the Lebara offer as shown on here as an illustration.  They said they couldn't match that and then went on to say 'do you want to go with a supplier that cant offer you the coverage we have and the data speed.' I live in North Norfolk and the coverage and data is horrendous anyway, something I have complained to Vodafone about on a number of occasions but also had the same issue with all the major networks over the years.  I said that it was my understanding that if another network is piggy backing on the Vodafone network infrastructure then Vodafone have a duty under OFCOM to provide the same level of coverage and data; could someone confirm if this is correct and if there are any points I can use to make the point to them if I have to get back intouch to negotiate again?  Also any suggestions for how I could get the best deal either through Vodafone or any other providers that might have better coverage in my area would be much appreciated?  Thanks all, mpn79
  • brookhousebrookhouse Forumite
    81 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Can you ask neighbours, friends and family what networks they're on and whether they get a signal where you live or work?
    You might have to ask Vodafone for a port code to get them to take you seriously. Try Lebara and Smarty - both are monthly.
  • thrifty_petethrifty_pete Forumite
    278 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    mpn79 said:
    Morning all, my Vodafone contract has come to an end and I am looking to go onto a SIM only contract.
    I'm in a similar position, my annual Vodafone contract is up. For me, the speed is not the issue with MVNOs, it is the lack of good technical support and features. When I was on Plusnet, you couldn't send or reply to texts which didn't come from a standard mobile. So no way to reply to customer service texts you might receive from companies. I also lost data for several days due to a bug in their systems which meant any customers who had ported their number in could not authenticate to the network. Their support had sent me a new SIM to try, such was the lack of technical understanding of the issue. I was offered a few pence as compensation (the pro-rata monthly charge). It was just such a hassle to sort out, far below what one might expect from a BT subsidiary. Clearly under-resourced to stop them cannibalising BT Mobile.
    I like the look of Smarty and with a 1 month contract, you can always switch again if it isn't up to scratch.
    Any comment about a MVNO being slower is just salesperson spiel IMHO. Like the time Southern Electric told me my meter was dangerous as the low quality electricity I was buying from another company was damaging it.
  • robatworkrobatwork Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The MSE article https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-sim-only-contracts/#high  mentions an £18 unlimited 12 month deal with 3. The link goes nowhere for me, and on their page http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones the nearest deal is 100Gb for £18 but a 24 month contract. Has the deal MSE refers to disappeared?
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Link works for me [Firefox browser] & deal still there
  • grovepgrovep Forumite
    8 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    mpn79 said:
    Morning all, my Vodafone contract has come to an end and I am looking to go onto a SIM only contract.
    ....  When I was on Plusnet, you couldn't send or reply to texts which didn't come from a standard mobile. So no way to reply to customer service texts you might receive from companies. .....
    Does Smarty support shortcodes?  Shortcodes are increasingly being used for fraud prevention and service and is something that I think I will insist upon for any future provider
  • CRAIGEMMACRAIGEMMA Forumite
    27 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
    8 GB data, Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texts and Roam Abroad 71 countries with Three (via Fonehouse) £4 a month (after cashback)