Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Watto51 wrote: »
    I took up the Smarty deal. It is not what it appears. Any international call / text / MMS has to be paid for - over and above the monthly payment. Even if the other country is part of the EU system, like Switzerland. So, if you use Smarty to contact friends or relations in the EU area, you will be paying extra each time (10p per minute). For me at least, it is probably not worth it. It took me several days to get to the bottom of why I couldn't make call etc, as their response system is not always in real time, and they might get back to you the next day, or the next, or.....

Sounds like you misunderstood the offering, Smarty is just a PAYG with an automated monthly allowance bought, like buying Goodybags on Giffgaff. It’s not an actual contract offering.
    ====
  • Caerwyn
    Options
    I had a live chat with BT mobile recently, my present contract was up and they upgraded me to 50 gig data with unlimited calls and texts, all for 18 pounds p/m. I took it. I was paying 20 per month for 30 gig. I also get BT sport.and extra fast 4G, which i have noticed is a bit faster. An excellent deal ? Anyone have any experience with BT mobile sim free deals on renewal?
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caerwyn wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with BT mobile sim free deals on renewal?

I'll find out in 6 months, on an 18 month contract costs me £5 per month unlimited texts and calls.
    Seen yesterday £5 discount for BT broadband users is still applicable.
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am moving to a house with a mobile signal. New build and it seems as though vodaphone will give me the best 4G coverage, inside as well as outside. I have only ever had a basic payg O2 sim because of not having a signal here, only in a small basic phone. Just bought a samsung and am raring to go but am now flummoxed to see that vodaphone has its own complaints thread. are they really that bad?
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Caerwyn wrote: »
    I also get extra fast 4G
    4G is 4G.
    It doesn't come in "extra fast" or "slow".
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    pattypan4 wrote: »
    I am moving to a house with a mobile signal. New build and it seems as though vodaphone will give me the best 4G coverage, inside as well as outside. I have only ever had a basic payg O2 sim because of not having a signal here, only in a small basic phone. Just bought a samsung and am raring to go but am now flummoxed to see that vodaphone has its own complaints thread. are they really that bad?

No. They are worse.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Im trying to get a better deal than current, I asked for even £1 discount with Three and was told no, with virgin I was happy with price but wanted 1 gig of extra data and was told nope.

Guess companies now don't like to barter?
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    peach21190 wrote: »
    I have got a SIM Only Deal with BT for a casual £0.66 per month for 12 GB of Data - Currently £1.64 per month

Go through a cashback site I am going to use Topcashback as an example.

Go onto the page and find the deal that you are wanting before going on Topcashback.

The example here would be BT THE HIGH DATA PLAN SIM Only Plan £15 if BT Customer thus £180 for 12 months.

This gives £65 reward card and currently a JBL Go 2 Speaker worth £29.98 in the BT Store

Then go onto Topcashback and click the link so that it takes you to the retailers website. Currently £60.00 but sometimes tracks at £70 due to 12GB Plan - Luck of the draw.

You should normally complete the purchase on this web page- However it usually works on the original web page after the link has been created. This vitally includes the MasterCard and you end up getting both Cashback and Reward Card, Plus the JBL Speak at the moment.

I then pay for the contract on Santander 123 Lite - Giving me a cashback amount of £5.40 over the year.

Total outlay £180 over 12 months at £15 per month

Moneyback £65 Prepaid MasterCard spend anywhere
    Cashback £60 ( Maybe £70)
    JBL Speaker £29.98
    Cashback from Bank £5.40

£19.98 (£9.62)

£1.67 (83p) PER MONTH :D

Would this work with me currently being with BT although on a rolling contract?
  • cska
    cska Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    peach21190 wrote: »
    I have got a SIM Only Deal with BT for a casual £0.66 per month for 12 GB of Data - Currently £1.64 per month

Go through a cashback site I am going to use Topcashback as an example.

Go onto the page and find the deal that you are wanting before going on Topcashback.

The example here would be BT THE HIGH DATA PLAN SIM Only Plan £15 if BT Customer thus £180 for 12 months.

This gives £65 reward card and currently a JBL Go 2 Speaker worth £29.98 in the BT Store

Then go onto Topcashback and click the link so that it takes you to the retailers website. Currently £60.00 but sometimes tracks at £70 due to 12GB Plan - Luck of the draw.

You should normally complete the purchase on this web page- However it usually works on the original web page after the link has been created. This vitally includes the MasterCard and you end up getting both Cashback and Reward Card, Plus the JBL Speak at the moment.

I then pay for the contract on Santander 123 Lite - Giving me a cashback amount of £5.40 over the year.

Total outlay £180 over 12 months at £15 per month

Moneyback £65 Prepaid MasterCard spend anywhere
    Cashback £60 ( Maybe £70)
    JBL Speaker £29.98
    Cashback from Bank £5.40

£19.98 (£9.62)

£1.67 (83p) PER MONTH :D

How does this work when you aren't purchasing through the affiliate link that Top Cashback directs you to? Surely the cashback just wouldn't track and you'd have to open a claim (which would be rejected as they wouldn't be able to track the purchase through the affiliate link?).

Thanks
  • zee744
    zee744 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m still crying over the fact that I missed this deal, could’ve used it for my iPad and Three is starting to get slow so might’ve used it to replace my urgent sim only
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback