We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll mostly be hearing the sound of gentle snoring eminating from Greying Towers....................

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good Evening :hello:

Well, we had a collective snooze this arvo. I don't know if we've been part-taaay-ing too much, or can't take the heat or what...... but we snored through 2pm, 3pm and 4pm. Until some of us got up to make tea........ ;)

At least we can claim a nsd :j

And the baby was bathed :j

Tea this evening was a salad plate, which used up the pieces of green bean bake out of the freezer, teamed with minted boiled tatties, beetroot and apple salad, marinated tomatoes and portugese broad beans. I must admit, I saw the recipe for the broad beans a couple of days ago in my recipe index, and thought, 'oh, we've not had them in a while'. I have to say, there is probably a reason for it, and it ain't just winter. I had forgotten how underwhelming I find the recipe, and feel that it is just trying (but failing) to guild the lily - blame british produce, blame the cook, blame what you will. But I should have just left the broad beans as they were. I shall be removing the recipe from my index permanently. Sometimes naked is best ;)

The minted tatties meanwhile were an absolute triumph. I put a stem of the (gifted) garden mint in with the cooking water at the end of the cooking time, and then drained and let the mint steam into the tatties. The tatties weren't 'new' pots as such, just a bag of 'small' tatties, YS'd in m&$ a couple of weeks ago. I can't even remember if they were UK produce :o The smell was delicious. i came downstairs from baby-bathing to the wonderfully intoxicating smell of fresh mint. Took me straight back to summertimes in my childhood, where we did have fresh dug tatties and mint for tea all the time - well, it seemed like it :D To finish off the tatties I made a vinagrette dressing with plenty of mint, minced up in the hand-held mouli that I have, which is probably even older than me :eek: DEE-LISH-US!

I've managed to do a bit of sorting and tidying, so we're a bit better prepared for the week ahead :D

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

40 winks ;)

delicious, nutritious food and associated food memories :D

feel-good weather - even if I viewed most of it behind closed eyelids....... :rotfl:

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £203.56/250
    Non-food household spend June £/40
    Bulk Fund June 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 3/24 (inc. Blankets 3/6)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah - nothing better than a siesta on a warm summer afternoon!

We were like minded & had a few winks ourselves :o:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,946 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing to beat a wee smooze :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,985 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Rather envious of the length of your nap, but I certainly indulged too! :) I'm definitely blaming the weather! ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do love an impromptu afternoon nap. Good for you.

Hope all is well
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,946 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Monday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Ha ha - themadvix, you wouldn't be envious of my stiff neck - I fell asleep in the chair :o the others had the sense to retire to cots and beds of various comfort levels :D

:wave: starnac - longtime no see, lovely :D

Well, I've been a busy bee today, mostly keeping out of mischief :D

I used my sewing skills [tonguefirmlylodgedincheeksmiley] to make a spiffing, much loved item of clothing work as was intended, again. I managed not to stab myself with a needle, not to get blood all over everywhere and to make the fastening work :j Loads more life left in it now :money:

We got an unbranded item to do what will probably be a 'one-off' job. The reviews for it were good, it cost 1/3rd the price of the branded equivalent, and thus far is doing the job spiffingly :j:money: And no, we couldn't have 'loaned' one, as we didn't know anyone with one :D

I've moved on with homestead chores and got a visit from a tradesperson booked in for later in the week :j

I bought myself a couple of pairs of cotton PJ bottoms - £6 :money: They are the first PJ's I have bought since purchasing some for my ever expanding girth when pregnant! and apart from the fact you clearly have to be a size 10 and 7 foot tall (which i'm not) they fit! :D:rotfl:

*contemplates getting sewing machine out, on account of today's sewing success*........

Tea this evening was lentil pasta bolognese. From the freezer and a crowd pleaser :T

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a tradesperson who calls back :j:T

BG making a little headway, growing in confidence and getting used to the big, wide-world :D

that I had enough skills to revive a perfectly useful/functional item - this is what life is about :money:

Ta for popping in, supporting me, and helping me. It is ALWAYS appreciated. :D. Ta

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Lots of itty-bitty things to accomplish today.

First things first, I need to sort out a meal-plan for this week. We've plenty in, I just need to allocate it accordingly.

We've a card to take to the post box. BG loves popping cards/letters into the slot, so that will be a highlight :D

I've the credit card bill to sort out - shift a bit of money over and get it paid. No excuses, the money is there, and we're well within the pay by date. So must get onto it, rather than forget.

There is the TV guide to get, and we're all out of BG chocolate for a treat - which is not everyday :D So need to get some. HB hasn't had fr3dd0's for a long while, and they were all out of choccy buttons yesterday -useless shop :p

Oh, I forgot to say that we had the PSB with our lentil bolognese last night. It will definitely be the last I buy. It's definitely reached the end of the season, and whilst I specifically selected the thinnest bracts available, they were soooooo fiborous............Not a pleasant eat, and no longer worth £1 of our money.

Right, best get shifting-a-tail-feather.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,985 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

I used my sewing skills [tonguefirmlylodgedincheeksmiley] to make a spiffing, much loved item of clothing work as was intended, again. I managed not to stab myself with a needle, not to get blood all over everywhere and to make the fastening work :j Loads more life left in it now :money:

From memory of the Christmas decs you made waaay back in your diary, I don't think tongue in cheek is needed - your skills are certainly better than mine! But I totally get the satisfaction that comes from adjusting/repairing something :D
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Ha ha - themadvix, you are too kind. The C'mas decs were all about straight line sewing, behind the comfort of a sewing machine! :D

Well, I kept out of mischief this morning. But wandering around completing chores seems to have taken forever!

But, I got most everything that I had on my list. I did the baby banking ;) - sounds like a service that you hand them in at the 'terrible 2's' and get 'em back when they've turned into nice, responsible, earning adults :rotfl:And BG had great fun handing over their passbook to the bank clerk :D

RESULT - our HB has started stocking 'H3nd3rs0n's R3li$h' - for £1.39 a 284ml bottle. I don't think it is necessarily any cheaper than elsewhere, but those in the know will recognise that consignments of the stuff rarely make it outside of the Sheffield perimeter ;)

I bought some 'british' (apparently....) strawberries in mrA. They were the same price as the spanish ones were last week, £1.09. I have to say, the spanish ones edge it on taste and freshness......... I was about to buy Scottish strawberries, as they were lovely dark red and looked nice. But they were 40p dearer for the same amount. I have to say, if budget wasn't key, I would have paid the extra, and bought Scottish, as they DID look far better strawberries. But as budget is keen, then I plumped for what I would term 'seconds' quality. The 'gold plated' british strawberries were £2 a punnet.

Right, can't think of owt else to witter on about. So best go and do some housework. The house - for some reason - is currently resembling a tip! :(

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport