We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,946 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Making memories to cherish :love:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MatyMoo wrote: »

throw bleach down the loo, :T:j:T
    In total agreement with all the above - just don't forget to flush before they arrive!!!!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Well, 'tis a good job for serendipity, methinks :D I had had a tradesperson around to have a look at some work we need doing, and I'd mentioned to him about a 'chicken & egg' situation that we have with some of our renovations. 'Ah, I know a bloke that can help you with that', i'll get him to call you next week'.

So, I wanted to go to the builders merchants yesterday, to get some prices for some fixtures/fittings that we'd decided upon - umpty-tumpty years ago when we first tried to embark on this work. If I say BG wasn't even a twinklette - you'll have an idea of how long this saga has been going on! But, as i said, yesterday ended up being a bit full on, so I quit whilst I was ahead, and decided to leave visiting the builders merchants until today.

Anyhoo, I got help from a very nice chap, who gave me the prices of what I was looking for and who had said that he could also give me some leaflets with colour samples in. Course, I left the shop without picking them up - but he ran after me, and called me back in. When I exited for the second time, right in front of me was the van for the tradesperson who had been recommended to me. So, I waited. Next thing, a chap comes out of the sales counter area and proceeds towards the van. Long story short, he remembered the convo that he'd had about the work, and is coming to see us to price up later in the week :j I mentioned what make of fixtures I'd been looking at, and he was cool with fitting those, so :j

Mind, 'tis a good job it's taken so long to sort all this out. Coz we've been saving. And it's clear we've needed too.........ouch!

And I got a nice long walk in with BG, so all good :D

I am all over the place with what day it is :eek:

BG is having a little snooze - they have had quite an exciting day today - already - they need to restore their little batteries :D And in all honesty, I feel like I do too - despite a full-night's sleep last night :o But I best crack on.

Tea is going to be 'mezze' (Ya, Greying is most def. sending self-up there :rotfl:) as we've a load of leftovers in t'fridge :j

Right, best shift-a-tail-feather and double check me list. I've done well today, but there is still more to do!

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £203.56/250
    Non-food household spend June £/40
    Bulk Fund June 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 3/24 (inc. Blankets 3/6)
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,985 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello Greying!

For the last few weeks I've been working my way through your old diaries (from the beginning!) and like so many, have been totally inspired by your meals. Although I eat fish and DH eats meat, we're largely veggie at home, so it has been wonderful to gain so many new ideas for meals.

I'm going to continue to catch up (I'm nearly onto this diary) and shall subscribe when I'm all caught up, but I had to pop in to say that we had the tahini, miso and citrus dressing tonight on a similar Buddha bowl to the one you mentioned here (no tofu, but marinated quorn pieces and it worked). WOW! I mean, just... WOW.... sooooo delicious, I totally get why you were raving about it :D

Thank you for being such an inspiration to make our meals more exciting and getting us to try new recipes!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Ay up themadvix - I recognise you from the MFW thread - on Cheery's, Fortune's and some of the other diaries - howdy :wave: That dressing is good isn't it? i think I first found it on Laura Wright's blog - the first mess, but I think other incarnations are floating about. But yes, the right balance of savoury/sharp/sweet ....... mmmmmm!

Well, today has been a full day - but brilliant :D We have been gifted so much today - I wouldn't know where to start with my blessings and gratefulness, I really wouldn't.

I'm hoping that we are really starting to turn a corner with the work needed on the towers, and I'm starting to feel a little more positive that we can achieve it - after some helpful input from tradespeople. But also I've probably let myself get too 'immersed' in what is wrong aroung here, be it the house, be it neighbours, be it neighbourhood; to forget that not everything is bad. And there are certainly good aspects - which maybe I've outgrown or no longer need, but it doesn't mean it's all bad. Someone took to time to politely, but firmly reinforce that point to me today. And I'm grateful. It is what I need to hear and internalise. My jaded view is just that. A jaded view, of a woman worn down by circumstances, who couldn't see the good for all the (perceived) bad.

I'm considering myself told :o:T:D And will endeavour to just get on and get me what I and my little family want :D

BG was in receipt of great kindness today too. People had thought about BG - really considered BG - you know? It came up in conversation about how much (the meedja thinks) it costs to raise a child these days, and it always makes me think that we're raising BG wrong, as realistically speaking, they have cost 'next to nowt' to raise thus far. I mean, they are clothed - but generally clothes are chazzer/supermercado/local selling sites. Toys have been mostly gifted (some new, some pre-loved), or have been bought from chazzers, or are the contents of mumma's baking utensils cupboard........ :cool::D food is whatever BG will eat and whilst we did have to use formula, we didn't use much 'pre-prepared' baby foodstuffs (jars etc) and whilst we could do with BG expanding their palate now, they eat pretty 'pedestrian' choices, so don't break the bank. But BG enjoys so much. They enjoy their toys - they fell asleep in the car this afternoon - with 2 simple little toys, firmly grasped, one in each little hand :D They enjoy their clothes - and pick out items to wear (sometimes inappropriately :rotfl:), they enjoy pointing to their footwear (for some strange reason....... :rotfl:) Or just enjoy getting all my cake tins out........... :rotfl: We were in receipt of gifts today that very much built upon all that; whether in time spent interacting with BG, or of gifts very much in the spirit of preloved, but what BG needs or is interested in. And for that I am very, very grateful and greatly humbled that other folk think enough of my child, to go to that much trouble.

Today has been brill.

Today I am grateful I am me.

Today i am grateful to be a mother.

Today i am grateful to be called 'friend'.

Today I am grateful for frienship.

Today I am grateful I listened.

'nuff said ;)

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,946 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    What a lovely lovely post Grayling.
    Thank you for sharing xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Ok, I confess I am emotionally incontinent. That said, your last post actually made me cry. It was so so lovely and, as beanie said, thank you for sharing.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,985 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Ay up themadvix - I recognise you from the MFW thread - on Cheery's, Fortune's and some of the other diaries - howdy :wave:

Yes, that's me :wave: And I have unintentionally (as I had no idea until I started reading here that it was you who started it) and unashamedly stolen your idea of daily gratitudes :D

But also I've probably let myself get too 'immersed' in what is wrong aroung here, be it the house, be it neighbours, be it neighbourhood; to forget that not everything is bad. And there are certainly good aspects - which maybe I've outgrown or no longer need, but it doesn't mean it's all bad. Someone took to time to politely, but firmly reinforce that point to me today. And I'm grateful. It is what I need to hear and internalise. My jaded view is just that. A jaded view, of a woman worn down by circumstances, who couldn't see the good for all the (perceived) bad.

I really struggle with this too - you're not alone! It's hard to see past the bad points sometimes (for me it's inconsiderate neighbours quite often), but then I remember that the house internally is lovely and we're very lucky to be in the position we are in. But we're human, it is hard to take a step back sometimes!

As for the rest of your post..... it sounds pretty good :D

(And now to see if I got the quote tags in the right places! :rotfl:)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

That said, your last post actually made me cry.

Oh no! That wasn't my intention inod :( My cup was just overflowing with received kindnesses yesterday and I didn't know where to even start being grateful. And the same has occured today........................

themadvix - I dunna think I have the original copyright on the '3 things to be grateful for' insert. But it is important to me to recognise that there is always good and blessings and kindness and thoughtfulness and, and, and........ even if I'm having a bit of a pout...... :rotfl:for whatever reason......... #divatendencies..... :rotfl:#avingaflounce........ :rotfl:

Well, today has been mostly spiffing :D

We did have a storm this afternoon. I guess the rain lasted for an hour or so, and you do begin to wonder about drains backing up, due to sheer volumes of water. But thankfully that didn't occur, and we are OK. I know others have faired far worse, so i hope that all is safe and well with you.

We haven't ventured away from the homestead today. I was planning a little wander, out and about, this morning, but the weather looked like thunder and lightning one minute and then was searing hot sunshine the next. So in the end, we stayed put. I confess to have been totally absorbed in BG watching today. They were playing so nicely. Their little imagination was going into overdrive and they were so happy and content. I know I've a ton of things to do, but I'll not get this time over, not with BG, not with another child of mine, so i just sat and watched. And smiled. :D

Tea this evening was quite ordinary, and yet was....... elevated by the use of some garden-grown (not mine) herbs that I was gifted. We had Rosemary roasted sweet potatoes, with meditteranean veg (£1 roasting veg tray from HB) which was gussied up with some lemon thyme and a drizzle of minced garlic. Served with steamed green beans (mrL frozen), and some grilled halloumi with a black olive, dijon dressing. In a word, YUM! Perfect holiday food, even though we'd not set foot across the threshold :D

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

thoughfulness of friends

hearing great news :T via social media

for leave to be a mummy; for a moment, for a day, for a lifetime

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Please download your diary and turn it into a series of books PLEASE:):):):):)
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business