We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please download your diary and turn it into a series of books PLEASE:):):):):)

Wot, wif my spellin an grammer????? :rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £203.56/250
    Non-food household spend June £/40
    Bulk Fund June 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 3/24 (inc. Blankets 3/6)
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options

Greying X

LOL, well that is a tad worrying :rotfl::rotfl:
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    LOL, well that is a tad worrying :rotfl::rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Well, today has got off to a flying start :D

We took a wander over to the big HB to get some goods from the chilled section. We got; PSB, grapes, greek yoghurt, apples, sweet potatoes, a cucumber and some goats cheese (not tried it before). All good stuff, but still cost over £6.50 :( We got bananas, eggs, cheery toms, salad toms, a lime and some silken tofu from elsewhere, so that is £11 spent already today. Nothing highly processed, but still gobbles up the budget.

Having said that, I did make a rare splurdge on a totally unnecessary item - nay, indulgence - for myself today. I bought myself some perfume. I haven't bought anything like that, for myself in many, many years. But someone had the most attractive scent on the other day, and they kindly let me know what it was, and I bought a bottle for myself :o I have the money saved, and I shall enjoy wearing it, so hopefully it isn't too much of a luxury item - when I'm carping on about food prices :o

I had the second 'wonky' avocado for breakfast this morning (actually when I got back from shopping), and it was delicious. It was perfectly ripe and creamy. The first one I had was equally creamy, but had either been bruised badly in transit, or had some sort of virus - as it had brown patches/bruises which had to be cut out, but the rest of that avocado was lovely too. I've taken a tip off the MMM forum - as I bought 2 nets of avos, last time I was in mrM. I store them in the fridge, but I'm bringing them out to ripen as I use the one, I'll have say 3 out, 1 ripe, 1 partially ripe, and 1 underripe. Rather than having them go over. Seems obvious really, but it wasn't until I read it, that I thought 'what a good idea!' :D

Tea this evening will probably be curry, unless something more weather appropriate occurs to me :D

BG has been gifted some toys, so we will go and sort through them, just now. They are currently watching an episode of 'The Flumps' as I type :D:D

Can't think of owt else :money: and given my expenditure already today - I don't think I ought to try to claim to be a MSE'r! :rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's a great idea on the avocados, why didn't I think of that?

Hurrah for the perfume, it's a simple pleasure and if you break it down to pence per wear not actually that expensive.

and off I go with the delightful 'flumps' theme tune earworming. Happy days :-)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Greying X

Have you read any newspapers recently? If the their/there/thier gets past the editor's pencil so often I think we can give ourselves a free pass. They have no excuse, whilst we often have distractions - especially those with adventurous little ones!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    What a lovely day Greying :j :j How lovely to spend a day (or even part of it) gazing adoringly at BG :j :j

I love that you are full of gratitude, it inspires me to try to be the same :j

I'm currently sitting on a bench loving restored by my other half, right at the top of the hay meadow behind the house, in the little patch I'm claiming for a veg garden :j The birds are chirping and warbling, the bees are buzzing, I am surrounded by the tools I need and have the strength to do the job I'm trying to do. Occasionally when the wind blows the right way I can hear the children next door (which is about half a mile away :rotfl: playing in the garden). The promised rain hasn't materialised so I've spent most of the day outside. Mr Cheery is working tonight so I can laze around and watch a tv programme he would hate later :rotfl: I bought some reduced strawberries earlier than I can have for my tea.

For all those things, plus lovely online and real life pals, I am grateful :j :j :j
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    When I was at my poorest, I stopped with perfume. It was the first thing to be reinstated initially by making present requests. For me, it's almost the same as playing music. Both really lift my day so it's well worth the investment.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

What a lovely day Greying :j :j How lovely to spend a day (or even part of it) gazing adoringly at BG :j :j

I love that you are full of gratitude, it inspires me to try to be the same :j

I'm currently sitting on a bench loving restored by my other half, right at the top of the hay meadow behind the house, in the little patch I'm claiming for a veg garden :j The birds are chirping and warbling, the bees are buzzing, I am surrounded by the tools I need and have the strength to do the job I'm trying to do. Occasionally when the wind blows the right way I can hear the children next door (which is about half a mile away :rotfl: playing in the garden). The promised rain hasn't materialised so I've spent most of the day outside. Mr Cheery is working tonight so I can laze around and watch a tv programme he would hate later :rotfl: I bought some reduced strawberries earlier than I can have for my tea.

For all those things, plus lovely online and real life pals, I am grateful :j :j :j

Well Cheery if that isn't a post that oozes gratitude for what you have, well then I don't know what would qualify :D It definitely is (most often) the 'little things' of life that bring the most pleasure - IF you've the time/notion/inclination to notice them - which is of course dependent on what else is going on in your life/around you. I do recognise that.
    When I was at my poorest, I stopped with perfume. It was the first thing to be reinstated initially by making present requests. For me, it's almost the same as playing music. Both really lift my day so it's well worth the investment.

I stopped a long time ago because of cost, and also of opportunity - I didn't go places that I thought 'required' the wearing of perfume. But you're right - it's mood enhancing, which is life enhancing. And whilst I wouldn't buy luxuries over any of us going hungry, wearing rags nor being ill-shod, I had the money for a little splurge, so I did so :D I'm keeping the perfume cool and out of the light, so it should last for a good while, so I'll either have time to save up again, or get maximum pleasure out of it in this time of my life :D

Well, I wasted a couple of hours of my life trying to watch the England footie game last night. Why do I bother? Whilst DH taped the second half - missing the Nigerian goal..... doh! And I did get to watch that, as BG was safely ensconced in their chair, eating their tea, the second half was more boring than the first! arrghh! Dare I spend any of my precious life watching the world cup??????? :rotfl::footie::footie::footie::think:

Tea last night was curry plate - using up the curry bits that were in the freezer. We had sweet potato jalfrezi, baingan bharta, dhal and rice.

I fancy something for tea more on the 'salad' side of things tonight. And as we have cardboard box fish, but no chips and, dare I admit, no mushy peas....... I think that may be the way to go.

I've got loads of sorting to do today. The house has got a bit topsy-turvy this last week, what with one thing and another. Routine is back to normal next week, so we need to be ready to settle into it :D

I think I need to devise a meal-plan for the next week. I find it more difficult when the weather is more variable, as invariably you've got the ingredients for rib-sticker stew and dumplings, slated against the hottest day of the year........ But I need to be a bit more organised with store-cupboard ingredient use this month, and planning IS the way to go to assist this :D

I need to write a cheque to pay for a service today, then it can be dropped off tomorrow without the need for a stamp :money:

We sorted through the toys that BG was given yesterday - folks are so generous in thinking of us! And the best bit is that there was loads, plenty for BG and plenty to share with a community group. So I've sought the giver's permission (which they graciously granted), to keep some for BG and to share out the bounty with others. Win-win :D

Right, sunlight is burning. Better get a wiggle on.

Ta for popping in and joining in the convos.

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Enjoy your perfume GP. Wear it for yourself - and wear it frequently, as even if you keep it in the dark, it would be sad if it went over before you finished it.

I regularly frequent TKMaxx to source the brands of toiletries and cosmetics that I wouldn't want to pay full price for. And I get through a lot of hand cream... you can never have too much hand cream... Having a few nice 'pretty' things as luxuries can give you a lift when you're having to economise in other areas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport