Finances as a couple

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Peter333 wrote: »
    Yes, of course we check before buying 'big' things - like a telly - but even if we had separate accounts we would check with the other first. Why the heck wouldn't you? What kind of relationship is THAT? You earn 30% more than your partner, you have separate accounts, and you go buy a new £400 stereo without mentioning it or consulting your partner, because it's YOUR money?! :eek:

Not a relationship I would like to be in. I would feel like I was leading a separate life to my wife.

I think I'm misreading this. IMO the whole point of having some separate money in a personal account is precisely so that there's no need to check with anyone. I need a new winter coat. If I went out tomorrow and bought one at £400 you think I need to ask my DH first. Why? It's my money. I've paid my half for this month's bills, we have plenty of savings (together and separately) and what's left is my own to do with as I please. That's the way I've managed my finances since I went to university at 18 and saw no need to change when I met my DH.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I think I'm misreading this. IMO the whole point of having some separate money in a personal account is precisely so that there's no need to check with anyone. I need a new winter coat. If I went out tomorrow and bought one at £400 you think I need to ask my DH first. Why? It's my money. I've paid my half for this month's bills, we have plenty of savings (together and separately) and what's left is my own to do with as I please. That's the way I've managed my finances since I went to university at 18 and saw no need to change when I met my DH.

Well a coat would be different to say a tv or stereo. In most if not all cases the tv or stereo would be used by both so I would feel a discussion would be needed - surely it's polite if nothing else?

I guess if you have your own den with a tv or stereo etc it would be different but do many people have that?
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Ask, no - discuss, yes.

The difference is that some of us think that everything in a marriage is equally owned, others think in terms of "mine" and "his/hers". I don't think there's anything wrong with that but, if I'd felt like that about things, I would have just lived together rather than getting married. I certainly wouldn't have dreamed of marrying someone who felt like that about things.
  • jengraham69
    Options
    Or refer to the good old, "whats yours is mine and whats mine is mine"....
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    Well a coat would be different to say a tv or stereo. In most if not all cases the tv or stereo would be used by both so I would feel a discussion would be needed - surely it's polite if nothing else?

I guess if you have your own den with a tv or stereo etc it would be different but do many people have that?

Yes, I agree that something like a stereo would need some discussion as it's more like a piece of furniture and if it was going into the main sitting room then both partners would need a say. I remember well when we moved into our first home together DH brought with him speakers the size of small wardrobes.:eek:

Fortunately now he has his playroom so all the music equipment he buys is his choice (although he lets me use it occasionally;)).
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options

I would flippin' well hope so! If you are married, why would you NOT discuss spending such a large amount?
    catkins wrote: »

Exactly! Each to their own, but I couldn't be/wouldn't be in a marriage where my wife thinks it's OK to squander almost half a grand without mentioning it to me first.
    Ask, no - discuss, yes.

The difference is that some of us think that everything in a marriage is equally owned, others think in terms of "mine" and "his/hers". I don't think there's anything wrong with that but, if I'd felt like that about things, I would have just lived together rather than getting married. I certainly wouldn't have dreamed of marrying someone who felt like that about things.

This ^^^ I wouldn't consider it a marriage if finances are so separate and individual, and the spouse is never considered for purchases of multiple 100s of pounds... It would feel like we were more like flatmates.
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would flippin' well hope so! If you are married, why would you NOT discuss spending such a large amount?

Exactly! Each to their own, but I couldn't be/wouldn't be in a marriage where my wife thinks it's OK to squander almost half a grand without mentioning it to me first.

This ^^^ I wouldn't consider it a marriage if finances are so separate and individual, and the spouse is never considered for purchases of multiple 100s of pounds... It would feel like we were more like flatmates.

Oh could spend 2k on kites - kitesurfing hobby - and I wouldn't know. I might see the packaging. but sometimes not.

I wouldn't ever tell him how much things were unless he asked but he'd never say 'gorgeous dress, how much was it'.

I booked a holiday for us - he knew dates, but I surprised him with a penthouse suite during one of our stop offs , he never knew the price.

It's just not something that ever comes Up with us. I bought my car without him knowing cost etc. Or even seeing it actually.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ask, no - discuss, yes.

If the parties to a partnership/marriage are fine with a separate fund arrangement (when there is a big joint fund for everything else), I just don't see the problem here.

The only difference between living together and being married is the legal bit WRT next of kin and inheritance and break up of the relationship.

I think you doth protest too much!

Maybe some people are wary of what the other partner might have in their own account. Would that be your thinking maybe?
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    Oh could spend 2k on kites - kitesurfing hobby - and I wouldn't know. I might see the packaging. but sometimes not.

I wouldn't ever tell him how much things were unless he asked but he'd never say 'gorgeous dress, how much was it'.

I booked a holiday for us - he knew dates, but I surprised him with a penthouse suite during one of our stop offs , he never knew the price.

It's just not something that ever comes Up with us. I bought my car without him knowing cost etc. Or even seeing it actually.

Each to their own. Wouldn't do for me.
    melanzana wrote: »
    If the parties to a partnership/marriage are fine with a separate fund arrangement (when there is a big joint fund for everything else), I just don't see the problem here.

The only difference between living together and being married is the legal bit WRT next of kin and inheritance and break up of the relationship.

I think you doth protest too much!

Maybe some people are wary of what the other partner might have in their own account. Would that be your thinking maybe?

I don't see Miss B or anyone else protesting; just putting their views across.
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I don't think that is necessarily an issue. My wife and I make fairly large purchases without a great deal of discussion or consultation. As long as we can afford them, it works for us. I'm not particularly interested in discussing what coat or dress my wife wants to buy. She knows what we can afford and buys accordingly. She can do that from a joint account or a personal account and it makes no difference: we are married, so the funds are joint regardless of whose name is on the account.

I think where you start to get into flatmate territory would be if one spouse decided that because he/she earns more, then he/she gets to spend more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure