PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LW have just caught up with the thread, n am really sorry to hear about mr LW :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    I'm veggie too OBL, n there's also a lot of veggie recipes here in oldstyle.I can't remember where though :rotfl:
    Hi there fellow vegie:beer:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Hi . Veg recipes can be found on the September ( or whatever month you look for them ) challenge . Near the top of the first OS forum page . # 10 is the complete vegetarian collection which I seem to remember was Gingham's thread . There are other veggie recipes in the posts above marked with a V .
    All the lists there are a treasure trove of past OS threads . Including a link to useful threads . Many are on various ways to be OS and are a version of Squeaky's OS index . A wonderful and much missed man .

Well I'm another catching up on posts . It's been pretty hectic and tiring over the last few days but worth the effort .

I'll be replying in no particular order today .

Prinzess I do hope you manage to get some sense out of the DWP and that you've managed to get the letter from your GP . I don't know if you remember but dd was partway through her DLA to PIP transfer when the ESA form came through the letterbox . Our doctor had sent a letter to them for the PIP transfer and gave us one to include with the form too . Apart from them cancelling three times at very short notice she was assessed at home by an experienced nurse . We sent off another letter to ESA , doctor too and they turned it down flat despite many phone calls . We were sent to a centre miles out of the region and luckily our lovely taxi driver took us there and back at mates rates .
    She was lucky to been assessed by a Dr with years of experience and traveled door to door with a driver she knew and trusted . Public transport is a whole different ball game . If it comes to the point where they wont back down and you have some cash available go by taxi both ways . We sat in the waiting room as people were offered a form to claim back travel expenses both ways whatever means they used to travel . It shouldn't be like this but it's obvious things have moved away badly from the old paper assessments .

WT If it goes to appeal stage for PIP a good source of information is Advice Now . They're also good for MR requests but as yours has already been sent no good to you at this time but may be useful for others here . If you click on the How to win a PIP appeal picture on the main page , scroll down and click on the red link at the bottom you will be taken to all the step by step stages of advice throughout the process including useful tools to click on . You can read online or download the PDF ..

I'm taking a short break but with carry on catching up later today .

Hope all are ok

polly x

Thanks for the recipe info Polly, I'm actually taking part in the September challenge but haven't looked at any of the recipes yet,I will have a gander when I need some ideas :)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    fbjkah.jpg
    Awwww what a cutie :)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Hi Everyone.....

Polly.....I move next Monday.

Feeling a tad apprehensive. I dont know why.....I have moved on my own before. I am perfectly capable. I just think that widowhood has stripped my confidence a bit (something other widows have mentioned has happened to them so perhaps it just goes with the territory). Anyway, like the old Erica Jong thing......"Feeling the Fear, But Doing It Anyway". The butterflies will go back to sleep eventually and the bad dreams and insomnia will stop all in good time.

.........And of course, the fibro has flared up again........well it would, wouldn't it?:rotfl:

As always with this widowhood milarky there's a strange symmetry at work. It will be exactly 4 years and 1 month to the day since my husband died. That would appeal to him. Obviously I will never forget him, he's in my heart forever, but I am hoping a new house will herald a new beginning for me. Time to lose the mantle of widowhood and embrace life again as a singleton. Not moving on exactly but more a case of moving forward.

I am not going to go mad all at once with the renovations. The plan is to catch my breath, get settled and cosy for winter, and then just live with it for a few months whilst I get to know the house and decide exactly what I want to do. I am going to take my time and not go at my usual bull at a gate pace. Well I couldn't now if I tried. I am finally learning to pace myself....:rotfl:

I have now finished the acupuncture course, so hopefully just the occasional maintenance treatment. Shoulders, neck etc much better. Left knee is fantastic, right one is improved but as it is the one with damaged meniscus which can't be repaired I can expect some pain. In the end I will need surgery but hopefully with acupuncture and maybe the odd steroid injection I can manage for a while yet. I am "only" 67, :rotfl: so I would like to hang on a few years if I can.

I will have room in my new house for a home mini gym again, so hopefully regular gentle exercise will help. I find I can only manage a few minutes of exercise at a time, a session at the gym is impossible - plus I loath and detest gyms...... all that bacteria from other peoples sweaty bodies, ugh!!!

I have worked out that I am better to exercise for around 10 minutes twice a day at home than trying to slog it out for an hour at the gym two or three times a week.

And of course.....far more MSE. Win-win.

Hope everyone is ok and enjoying summers last hurrah.
    Fibro does like to keep us on our toes and pop up when it's least welcome :( I hope your flare up isn't too bad :)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    We have and a return to the summer heat wave today,it was blazing sunshine all morning the drizzle all afternoon but lovely and warm,I still have my cold so I'm soldiering on with it,I went shopping this morning and felt rough but spent the afternoon sewing and now don't feel too bad
    The bad news today is that my body decided after 6 months it was time for another period,that explains all the murderous thoughts I've been having all week,it's honestly like a switch has been flipped today,I feel so much more happy than I did yesterday.......flaming hormones
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mrs LW - Am delurking to say that I looked after my Dad who had Parkinsons. If I can answer any questions or help you in any way, please let me know.

I found ways of managing his tablets etc. that enabled him to carry on as normal for a long time.

Jane
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I felt like I was getting a flare up of fibromyalgia yesterday. I woke up with a really stiff neck and jaw and very sore feet. I had a headache all day.

I feel absolutely fine today, though.

Fibro doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason!

I thought maybe it was because the temps had dropped a bit.

I still have the rash around my ankles, but I am trying to cut out fresh tomatoes. I was looking online thinking it might be psoriasis and a few people were saying that fresh tomatoes can be a trigger!

I eat tomatoes on a daily basis so I have cut them out for three days now.

It's worth a try as I have tried about 10 different creams at this point.

I have to say that I didn't wake up itching last night so maybe there is something to it.
    fbjkah.jpg

Lovely!:A
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Wolfy It sounds as though you're in a full Lupus flare which isn't unusual under the circumstances . Re the meds for MrWolf I used to stand over or sit alongside dd for many years holding various meds and a glass of water to make sure she took them . I still keep an eye on the meds but she is pretty good at sticking to the various times during the day .
    I had a couple of the hand operated choppers over the years and to be honest they were a literal pain . You need strength in hands and wrists beyond what the blurb portrayed and I found they hurt all the way to the shoulders . I picked up a Kenwood Multi Pro Compact in Argos a few years ago at less than half price and that's a bit better but still requires some faffing for some functions .
    My workhorse Kenwood Chef is brilliant but has been tucked in a cupboard upstairs for a few years . Kitchen was due to be re fitted some years ago to give more worktop space but has been on the back burner while life has been too busy for such a project .

I know you buy your veg from the market . Do they have packs of already sliced or chopped veg both mixed and individual ? We have an indoor market here which sells them both fresh and frozen . They remind me of what were called pot herbs in the greengrocers years ago chopped mixed veg with some parsley , sage or thyme added . Sold loose and put in paper bags no plastic in sight .
    It wouldn't pass H&S nowadays but none of us died .

The other option is as already mentioned either frozen or fresh supermarket prepped veg . Frozen depends on freezer space and both usually cost more . The hidden costs of disability again .

Sorry this is long .Don't worry about not posting much you are stressed and even lower on sleep than usual .

Thank you to Jamanda That's a very kind offer as Wolfy does not do PMs I hope she will feel able to ask any questions here as those who've walked the walk are the best to ask certain everyday things .

Back later

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 September 2018 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Popping in to say I hope to be back posting by Saturday at the latest . It's been busy here in a number of ways including dd spending last week with Late summer Norovirus followed by the usual postviral so it's the GP again tomorrow .

I hope things are coming together Wolfy . I had a quick look over on the Fence earlier and noticed you are tackling clearing the loft . Please take care and do that thing we both forget Pacing .
    When you were on the Irish Sea I could have rescued you but MK is a bit far to try and pick either of you up .

Prinzess have you managed to get any sense out of DWP yet ? I think things are going a bit Pratchett there now . You couldn't make it up .

Zeus has lovely trusting eyes candy I hope there haven't been too many bruises and bumps .

Thinking of you all . AOT are you any further forward ?

Hope you're in your new home LL and resting .

Tink hope work is now a better place .

Will post either tomorrow or Saturday . So for now take care and stay warm all . Very cold and miserable here this week .
    Keep pacing !

love polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport