PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Must stop writing long posts ! Just spent ages typing and got your request is blocked message .

I'll be brief . Wolfy glad to hear the med is helping your husband and I hope it continues to do so. Oranges and fruits with lots of fibre are good for constipation as are high fibre foods however they probably wont help you .as you have the opposite problem .
    Looking to the future I can't think of solutions at this point to possible future problems . The usual advice about bringing in outside intervention either for hands on help or useful aids wont be what you want to hear at the moment . For now it's seeing if you can envisage the smaller things which will make a difference and trying to address those . You've wisely gone for knowledge and advice to the proper internet sites with long experience of Parkinson's and I hope you've already had or soon will have replies to your questions so far . It will be monitoring the situation without becoming overwhelmed by worries about the future . As I said previously all three Parkinson's people I knew had long lives and medication and management are good nowadays so one day at a time love .

Thank you maddie for posting the link to Elaine's thread . I did write a long reply earlier but will just say I found her habit of prepping and planning for the week ahead very useful . It was there I read of keeping a box in the freezer of prepped veg . She used to add the odd bottom of the fridge veg to it on an ongoing basis so could always put something in the slow cooker or pressure cooker added to the veg to leave to cook . She used a lot of cooking methods as she ended up testing various appliances and always gave an honest review . Useful when considering whether a gadget would be suitable .
    I got my hands on Jacks book on Friday and it is good . Mix of Veggie and some Vegan recipes and a few meat and fish . On her blog all the recipes are free to use or print and pass on to a foodbank with your donated items so the recipient will know what to actually use the tins and packets for .

I'll stop here and see if this posts . I'm waiting patiently for a picture of Zeus . I hope some progress has been made AOT .
    Any date yet for the move LL ? Hope all are managing ok . It's feeling like Autumn here now although Met Office or not Autumn doesn't arrive in this house until the Equinox on the 23rd .
    Take care all

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the recipe advice Polly :Dxx
    You're very welcome candy .I don't know how many times I searched for Squeaky's OS collection over the years . It was a sticky at the top of the OS forum for a long time after we lost him but eventually disappeared . It is still here somewhere as posters have done a link to it a few times . A lot of his index is out of date now appliances etc but we seem to have pretty well all the recipes on the thread I mentioned . I was looking for the recipe for baked ginger sponge puddings last winter and found it there .

I noticed all the typos in my first post today . No energy to edit them all but have put the Q into Squeaky as I couldn't leave it as it was . It was a hard and long task for him and I remember him fondly as a kind and brave man .

Hoping all is ok Tink . The children here go back a day later than other schools probably an inset day or the staff are psyching themselves up for the advancing hordes . It always seemed to be a lovely warm and sunny day when mine went back after the summer break usually after a run of wet miserable days .

It's interesting how many here do Cross Stitch . I find counted cross stitch needs concentration and is pretty good for focusing in the moment rather than worries and general day to day annoyances .
    It's feeling like time for warm blankies , hot chocolate , candles and snuggling down . It doesn't seem long since we were talking about Hygge and the variations . This year has flown by .

Sleep tight all

polly x

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fbjkah.jpg
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's his Zeusship POLLY :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 September 2018 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Thanks candy . He looks very much at home and settled in already , he's lovely but I can see where all the bumps and bruises come from x 3 . You're a braver woman than I ! Wolfy will love the picture too .
    I'm trying to find the energy to head to bed and failing miserably .

Quick edit It's the Grocery challenge thread I mentioned earlier . Somehow failed to include Grocery .

polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    WT I'm glad you feel calmer now . We try not to allow these things too much headspace . There are times it's impossible but we try to reduce the impact as much as possible . I agree with your view of the set up now . It's a clear strategy to make people nervous . Only by challenging will things change .
    I'm loving the Goblins . I'm a great believer in using ironic humour as a weapon . It is a good way to reduce things to the level they deserve and put them firmly in their place . So let's keep laughing and wait until we need to deal with whatever Goblins come our way in the knowledge we can do these things with preparation and the necessary tools to hand .
    polly x

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Everyone.....

Polly.....I move next Monday.

Feeling a tad apprehensive. I dont know why.....I have moved on my own before. I am perfectly capable. I just think that widowhood has stripped my confidence a bit (something other widows have mentioned has happened to them so perhaps it just goes with the territory). Anyway, like the old Erica Jong thing......"Feeling the Fear, But Doing It Anyway". The butterflies will go back to sleep eventually and the bad dreams and insomnia will stop all in good time.

.........And of course, the fibro has flared up again........well it would, wouldn't it?:rotfl:

As always with this widowhood milarky there's a strange symmetry at work. It will be exactly 4 years and 1 month to the day since my husband died. That would appeal to him. Obviously I will never forget him, he's in my heart forever, but I am hoping a new house will herald a new beginning for me. Time to lose the mantle of widowhood and embrace life again as a singleton. Not moving on exactly but more a case of moving forward.

I am not going to go mad all at once with the renovations. The plan is to catch my breath, get settled and cosy for winter, and then just live with it for a few months whilst I get to know the house and decide exactly what I want to do. I am going to take my time and not go at my usual bull at a gate pace. Well I couldn't now if I tried. I am finally learning to pace myself....:rotfl:

I have now finished the acupuncture course, so hopefully just the occasional maintenance treatment. Shoulders, neck etc much better. Left knee is fantastic, right one is improved but as it is the one with damaged meniscus which can't be repaired I can expect some pain. In the end I will need surgery but hopefully with acupuncture and maybe the odd steroid injection I can manage for a while yet. I am "only" 67, :rotfl: so I would like to hang on a few years if I can.

I will have room in my new house for a home mini gym again, so hopefully regular gentle exercise will help. I find I can only manage a few minutes of exercise at a time, a session at the gym is impossible - plus I loath and detest gyms...... all that bacteria from other peoples sweaty bodies, ugh!!!

I have worked out that I am better to exercise for around 10 minutes twice a day at home than trying to slog it out for an hour at the gym two or three times a week.

And of course.....far more MSE. Win-win.

Hope everyone is ok and enjoying summers last hurrah.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Exciting times ahead LL . I too use Feel the fear and do it anyway to get me through difficult situations . I turned 70 a few days before the NHS birthday - the baby who wouldn't wait according to my mum who had to pay the doctor and midwife .
    Age has always just been a number to me . I know I cant physically climb high mountains any longer but I can climb them in life and that's good enough for me .
    You fought a long hard fight for your husband's care and dignity . I know these things take a heavy toll we don't come out of those situations unchanged . Now is your time finally to look to your new life and future . I think a home gym is an excellent idea , no excuses when the weather isn't good as with everything in the home you don't have a get out .
    DD needs surgery but is being held together with steroid injections too . She would have to come off the MTX for a while and there is a fear of infection due to her lowered immune system . One for the future .
    I'm glad you are taking the time to ease into the new home , I've been imagining you piling up the paint pots ready to get started don't forget the professional dust masks :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Your husband would be so proud of you and happy you are setting off on a new journey . I'm wishing you a trouble free move and a happy new life . Keep us up to date and take care .
    polly x

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    LW I'm so glad you popped back in, nice to see you have your furry friends visiting, how is Mr LW doing?
    I'll be brief . Wolfy glad to hear the med is helping your husband and I hope it continues to do so. Oranges and fruits with lots of fibre are good for constipation as are high fibre foods however they probably wont help you .as you have the opposite problem .
    Looking to the future I can't think of solutions at this point to possible future problems . The usual advice about bringing in outside intervention either for hands on help or useful aids wont be what you want to hear at the moment . For now it's seeing if you can envisage the smaller things which will make a difference and trying to address those . You've wisely gone for knowledge and advice to the proper internet sites with long experience of Parkinson's and I hope you've already had or soon will have replies to your questions so far . It will be monitoring the situation without becoming overwhelmed by worries about the future . As I said previously all three Parkinson's people I knew had long lives and medication and management are good nowadays so one day at a time love .
    Thank you ladies, Mr Wolf is doing pretty well ok; he has a few wobbles, but I guess that's to be expected. The worst is when his medication alarm goes off, he switches it off, but then gets distracted and forgets to take the tablet. I'm having to watch him like a hawk to ensure the tablet goes down his neck on time.
    (A bit like having an extra dog in the place, I guess....)

I'm constantly on the lookout for helpful gadgetry. I also need to review some of the gadgets we have that are not so helpful. For instance, some years back I bought an onion dicer. Not this exact item https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71653/OXO-Good-Grips-Vegetable-Chopper but the idea is the same. I can no longer use it as I can no longer press down with enough force on the cutting bit to go through the onion; so that can go, methinks.

No matter what way I cut it I simply cannot cope with the idea of actual people in here to do stuff. I've tried and tried to get my head around it, and I just end up in tears. :(

I'm not sleeping at night (nothing new there) and I'm feeling more and more stressed, but trying very, very hard not to let Mr Wolf know this. It'll be better when I have more facts and figures in front of me, and I can work out how to deal with it all.

Just to put the tin hat on it, my butterfly rash is back with a vengeance, and I have a weird rash on my arm. I'm sure it's just stress though, so I'm working on the premise that if I ignore it long enough, it'll get bored and booger off.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I'm constantly on the lookout for helpful gadgetry. I also need to review some of the gadgets we have that are not so helpful. For instance, some years back I bought an onion dicer. Not this exact item https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71653/OXO-Good-Grips-Vegetable-Chopper but the idea is the same. I can no longer use it as I can no longer press down with enough force on the cutting bit to go through the onion; so that can go, methinks.

No matter what way I cut it I simply cannot cope with the idea of actual people in here to do stuff. I've tried and tried to get my head around it, and I just end up in tears. :(

What about a food processor wih all the gadjets?It will chop onions, juice, slice, mix dough etc. Pain to clean but all done by electric so you don't have to strain. And if you;re using it all the time not such a pain to have out.
    Some shops do sell grated or chopped onion, not sure whether you can find it frozen in iceland for example. Iy is more expensive though so you'd have to weight up the cost of using a machine v the price of it already done.

Also worth looking on facebook marktplace for cheap items, or gum tree. I've done so much wheeler dealing on those two the last few weeks, selling my old stuff and buying someone elses old stuff, I;ve still made more money than I've spent.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure