Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I find in London that we usually get excellent service as a result of the tipping culture, so there is a benefit.

I find in London I usually get good service because the staff are likely to be Europeans who are polite, well educated, speak good English, and understand how to give good service - unlike the young British people who should be doing the job!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I find in London I usually get good service because the staff are likely to be Europeans who are polite, well educated, speak good English, and understand how to give good service - unlike the young British people who should be doing the job!

This may well be true, but backs up my point as these people come from "tipping cultures" where good service is rewarded.
    I don't think it's simply that they have a good work ethic.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in London and never tip. Please don't make it a thing here. We already have service charged that is forced onto us. I like the idea of looking at a menu and seeing OK this is roughly what this evening is going to cost us. Not to get mugged with service charges, tips etc.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Does it actually ensure good service? Or just avoid deliberately bad service?

Another reason to avoid cruises... that and the risk of ending up on the same one as an annoying Welsh bloke who thinks his impressions are hilarious.

You can imagine all the crew are trying to be around where the Americans are so they can make more money.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    2016 thread. I might've already posted on this thread then but i saw it on the front page so here we go anyway....

I don't tip. My wife feels guilty for not tipping so i pay (joint account so doesn't really matter who's card gets used, although it's funny when the waiter makes a deal out of the woman paying. Rings on fingers pal - my money is no longer my money, it's our money :))

Even if we have service out of this world, i don't tip. They get paid their wage & due to minimum wage they get paid what their employer thinks is enough. Nobody ever tips in my line of business. My wife works in a medical capacity and nobody ever tips her, not that either of us expect it. We get paid our wage & that's it.

Most people are still fine after we pay but again it's funny to me once you've paid on the card machine & their tone & the way they just hold themselves totally changes once they realise you didn't tip.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nope. I tip in the USA.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Saladfingers
    Options
    Very rarely , they've really got to produce absolutely outstanding service for a tip. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've tipped .. food and wine gets marked up enough without me adding extra
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lets get this straight, we don't tip nurses, doctors, police, firemen, hospital cleaners, IT staff, fishermen etc etc etc, but we're expected to tip people who carry food from one place to another?

Absolutely bonkers.
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I tip for good service but only a small amount. If service is poor then no way and I have even had a service charge removed.

Don't care if they get cross because I will not be returning!
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the cost of the food is exactly that. If the server adds something to your experience (and, in my view, they can make or break it) then they should be rewarded.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback