Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexiters should be 'Ashamed of the harm to come"

Options

Comments

• ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    We are the second largest net importer in the world, after the US. The EU and the rest of the world aren't going to offer us good trade deals out of charity - they are going to do so because it is in their economic interests to be able to export freely to us.

It isn't in their political interests though. Which is why the UK is about to get a lesson in realpolitik.

Considering the way all the evidence is pointing there doesn't appear to be any point in reasoning with you people though. It's just a shame none of you appear to be in positions of any kind of responsibility where you have to accommodate what you have done.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah. The reason Claptrap votes UKIP is because hes sad there isn't enough African immigration.

I believe that we (and the EU) should trade with poorer countries (including black african) as this will increase their wealth (and ours) as I believe in the mutual advantage of trade.
    Agriculture is a key export for many poor countries, against which the EU has maintained both tarifff and non tariff barriers for more than 40 years.

Given the importance the 'remain' camp give to free trade, it is disappointing that so many have so little regard to the damage they have been doing for over 40 years to these poor countries, by passionately supporting the EU's agricultural aand other trade policies.

In toxic toastie case, I fully accept that he hates everyone fairly equally, so his mocking indifference to the discrimination against the people of the black african countries comes as no surprise.
  • Kohoutek
    Kohoutek Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    Given the importance the 'remain' camp give to free trade

Aren't you getting Leave and Remain confused? It's the Brexiteers who think we can sail our way to prosperity on a wave of free trade deals.
  • ruggedtoast
    Options
    I believe that we (and the EU) should trade with poorer countries (including black african) as this will increase their wealth (and ours) as I believe in the mutual advantage of trade.
    Agriculture is a key export for many poor countries, against which the EU has maintained both tarifff and non tariff barriers for more than 40 years.

Given the importance the 'remain' camp give to free trade, it is disappointing that so many have so little regard to the damage they have been doing for over 40 years to these poor countries, by passionately supporting the EU's agricultural aand other trade policies.

In toxic toastie case, I fully accept that he hates everyone fairly equally, so his mocking indifference to the discrimination against the people of the black african countries comes as no surprise.

I believe that the CAP needs reform too. As well as a lot of other things.

Thanks for voting us out of the EU so that we now have no influence whatsoever over any of these things. Or really, over anything now that doesn't occur within our own borders.

At least thanks to BREXIT you can start to get excited about all the new Somalian members you are going to get in the UKIP constituency office of Little Snoddington on Tweed where you live.

A family might move in next to you, and one on the other side.

People like you love that!
  • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    Options
    It isn't in their political interests though. Which is why the UK is about to get a lesson in realpolitik.

It is the EU which is about to get a lesson in realpolitik. Merkel is not going to see a half a million Germans get made redundant because they can't export to the UK any more, just so that the likes of Juncker can cling on to a political dogma that is 50 years out of date.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    A better deal? The UK already had the best deal imaginable. We had almost all the opt outs we wanted with full integration for trade and policy making.

It's this kind of thinking which makes me believe the EU is better off without us.

As far as, all the commonwealth behind us.

???!!!!

If they are behind us now I can't imagine what they would start to do if they were opposed to us.

The German car manufacturers had a go at Merkel for not offering us more to stay in the EU, they could have offered us a lot more.

We were not allowed to try to control the influx of people, we were not allowed to even stop criminals coming in because we could not ask if they were criminals. We were not allowed to make the UK less inviting by cutting the benefits that immigrants would get. It is ridiculous that we have to pay family allowance for children that don't even live in this country and probably do not even exist.

As for full integrations for trade and policy making, just how much say did we have in the policy making?

We now have countries queuing up to make trade deals with us, and we can start to give preference to the commonwealth and trade with them properly too.

The EU is a protectionist market, so many trade deals have been vetoed by one country that does not want the competition. We as a country can set up trade deals in our favour rather than having to go through the process of getting 27 other countries to agree, that has to be good.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • ruggedtoast
    Options
    It is the EU which is about to get a lesson in realpolitik. Merkel is not going to see a half a million Germans get made redundant because they can't export to the UK any more, just so that the likes of Juncker can cling on to a political dogma that is 50 years out of date.

Exports to the UK will already be hit by the precipitous decline in our currency, thanks to BREXIT a German car is going to get pretty expensive, all cars really. Economically life is going to get harder for everyone, possible even boomers.

And incidentally, who do you think is buying all these BMWs? Probably not Brexiters in the main.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    We are a strong nation and we have the commonwealth behind us, we will get through it.
    The Commonwealth??? Give me strength...

Let's be honest here, apart from the UK, only 3 countries in the Commonwealth with any economical clout. Canada, Australia and India.

Exports to these 3 combined (2010 figures) were smaller than our exports to.....Belgium. :)
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I believe that the CAP needs reform too. As well as a lot of other things.

Thanks for voting us out of the EU so that we now have no influence whatsoever over any of these things. Or really, over anything now that doesn't occur within our own borders.

At least thanks to BREXIT you can start to get excited about all the new Somalian members you are going to get in the UKIP constituency office of Little Snoddington on Tweed where you live.

A family might move in next to you, and one on the other side.

People like you love that!

you have NEVER posted about the harm the EU agricultural policy have caused to poor countries : indeed you have made light of the situation as part of your normal hate filled narrative.
    We have had more than 40 years to 'reform' CAP from within : what timescale were you thinking of; centuries?

We will now be able to determine our own tariff and non tariff trade between the UK and other (especially ) poorer countries if they wish ; we will now be able to decide our policies between ourselves and every country in the world :
    were you not aware of this, maybe you should try to get one or two facts correct?

I note your normal racist rant about Somalians : it does you no credit.
  • ruggedtoast
    Options

I note your normal racist rant about Somalians : it does you no credit.

It wasn't racist, but you're right I should be careful how I phrase things.

I don't want people to think I'm sinking to your level.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure