MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year

Options

Comments

• Valderrama
    Options
    My new customer offer ended this month, so gone from £68 to £117...
  • hpmann
    hpmann Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only have broadband from VM and received an email a few days ago infoming me of a £2.99 price increase from the 1st November 👎 I'm currently paying £20 a month (discounted) for 70mg so I rang to cancel and was offered a £3 credit for the next 6 months to cover the price increase, I'm also out of contract so I'll be ringing them back in 6 months time!
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sure they haven't locked you in for another 12m ?
  • hpmann
    hpmann Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Nope I was already out of contract and double checked I wasn't entering into a new one, otherwise I wouldn't have accepted the deal
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still not had a letter about the price increase.

Me either!
    Sigless
  • warmy
    warmy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi was just thinking could you cancel your services and then say wait a few weeks and sign up again but in your partners name?
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    hpmann wrote: »
    I only have broadband from VM and received an email a few days ago infoming me of a £2.99 price increase from the 1st November 👎 I'm currently paying £20 a month (discounted) for 70mg so I rang to cancel and was offered a £3 credit for the next 6 months to cover the price increase, I'm also out of contract so I'll be ringing them back in 6 months time!

Same here....i am paying 25.75 for 150mbps

Got a email saying extra 2.99 a month.....phoned up to cancel and guy said he can offset that for 6 months by applying a 3 pounds per month credit....I declined and said if he could do it for a year then i would stay..

He couldn't do that and instead applied a 30 credit to my account and I still get the 3 pounds per month credit.
  • ztkr
    ztkr Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Earlier this year, I paid 12 months line rental in advance, because up until now my price rise has been annual. Now that they've bought the price rise forward, if I want to leave I will lose the remaing line rental.

This is very unfair. In theory, you could agree a price with Virgin, but they could up the price the next day to anything they like and there is nothing you can do except pay it or lose the year's line rental.

I wish someone would complain to the regulator about it; this kind of contract should not be permissible.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've binned the phone and TV and gone BB only. All calls are now made through messenger and I have Amazon prime for tv.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    warmy wrote: »
    Hi was just thinking could you cancel your services and then say wait a few weeks and sign up again but in your partners name?

Officially Virgin's rule is 3 months.

The advisor I spoke to said it was unlikely a new order would be cancelled but it's not unheard of.

Hence he suggested going with a rolling 1 month broadband company for 3 months before signing up again - and this way you also qualify for cash back websites!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure