MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year

Options
5.2 million Virgin Media home phone, broadband and TV customers will see prices rise by an average of 5.1% from November. But you're likely to be able to leave your contract penalty-free, or if you're willing to stay, you can beat the hike by haggling...
Read the full story:
''Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year – beat the hike'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not again :o I guess its that time of year for the increase.

Do they normally increase LR and BB at the same time ?

At least I paid the LR in advance knowing this would happen.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We'll definitely be renegotiating or leaving soon (contract up at the end of October). We joined Virgin as a 'nice to have' service, but after the initial offer period, their costs are exorbitant. We didn't even get GoT for the cost!
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This works out quite well for me as my offer was coming to an end, so this get out of jail free card allows me to re-negotiate with no penalty.

However it is frustrating having to do this dance every so often, I'm giving serious thought to just keeping the broadband and sacking the rest off in favor or whatever the current equivalent is for free view.

It is irritating to have to say I will cancel, no really I will cancel, only to get a call after putting the notice in to be offered a way better deal. Especially when last time I checked they are throwing money at people through cashback sites to join them.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • ince_mon
    ince_mon Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    Think its time to get shut.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't understand how they're allowed to keep doing this?

Why can't those in power put a cap on such things. They have massive profit margins as it is and continue to gouge customers for every penny they can.
    Sigless
  • AndyPK
    Options
    Yes its a pain having to phone up yearly.

I just hope you get a phone call back.

Going to a minimal package is the way to go I reckon.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The thing is I'm kind of stuck. I'm so far from the exchange 'normal' broadband is under 2mb so streaming with etc just doesn't work.

So I need fibre. I've been with VM for as long as I can remember. And have been happy with the service but not happy with the never ending price hikes.
    Sigless
  • AndyPK
    Options
    I'm in a similar position asdl speed wise at 1mbps.
    So 2 months ago I went onto a cheap VM package at 50gb per month. But they seam to have stopped that.
  • scoobyju1
    scoobyju1 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took out a 12 month contract nearly 6 months ago & im just about to change it due to the half price offer ending. Does this mean I can leave Virgin altogether with no penalties?

Getting rid altogether after 12 months anyway as I really don't like it compared to Sky!
  • AndyPK
    Options
    You can leave within 30 days of receiving a notification of increase.

I'm not sure whether us new customers will get the increase though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure