MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year

Options

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like they have put there prices up on their website.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Virgin Media's £8 per month anytime inclusive call plan now includes calls to mobile numbers. This brings VMs offering into line both with Sky and with PlusNet's new deal that starts next month. TalkTalk has an add-on for calling mobile numbers. BT is now very much the odd one out charging 6p per minute for calls to mobile numbers on their Anytime call plan.
  • priorslee
    priorslee Posts: 3,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Rev wrote: »
    I don't understand how they're allowed to keep doing this?

Why can't those in power put a cap on such things.
    Rev wrote: »
    The thing is I'm kind of stuck. I'm so far from the exchange 'normal' broadband is under 2mb so streaming with etc just doesn't work.

Same here. It really annoys me that they can do as they like as there is no credible alternative for many of their customers.

If you're on a service based on a BT line, you have a choice of companies who you can buy your phone/BB service from. If you've opted for VM, often you're stuck - your choice is VM with 50Mb+ or one of many BT-based suppliers who can only offer <5Mb. In effect VM are in a monopoly position, as evidenced by their ability to hike prices and profits.

Time to complain to Ofcom? (not that it will do any good!)
  • AndyPK
    Options
    Aren't two of you discounting openreach fibre offerings?
    A couple of months ago you could get talk talk down to £21/month by paying a massive amount when you sign up (18m LR)
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has anyone who is broadband only (i.e. no line rental) received notification yet?
  • AndyPK
    Options
    I notice on their website that BB only 50 which I think was £30? is now about £32.50
  • priorslee
    priorslee Posts: 3,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Aren't two of you discounting openreach fibre offerings?

Not discounting it, it's not available.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Yes its a pain having to phone up yearly.

Yearly? It is now twice per year.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I actually called Virgin Media last night to cancel my services - I didn't read this before I called so the call agent was quite dumbfounded when I said I hadn't received the letter.

Went back and forth and told him the absolute max I can pay (which I can get as a "new" customer). However he couldn't/wouldn't really do anything for me at all.

So my cancellation is in - it's been an annoying few years with VM and having to make the call every 6 months about price rises so it actually felt quite good to say surely and finally to cancel. No better offer was forthcoming so I disconnect on the 21st September.

The agent then did something strange - he said that in all likelihood I would come back to VM as their service and BB is so good, but advised me AGAINST taking a better deal if I get called and to wait a few months until the VM V6 box is released and went into a bit of a sales pitch about it. I must say it sounds a lot better than the current TiVO offering.

He then suggested if I'm not fussed about the TV for a few months to go on a monthly BB plan with another provider (and listed a few) until the V6 box is released and reminded me that cashback through certain websites is available and advised me to sign-up in my wife's name.

It was the strangest cancellation call I've ever made but he certainly wasn't for budging on price. (A token £5 pm discount!).
  • AndyPK
    Options
    lol Sounds like the employees have had enough too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure