Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wouldn't that of been the thing to do in your 30 days ? :p
  • weeloudawg
    Options
    OK so virgin media are increasing prices yet again in novemeber. I have been a customer for 5 years. I have also moved house recently and started a new contract.

From my understanding there is a cut off date to which customers can cancel. Customers before a certain date which is 23 January 2014. I joined virgin media before then, my latest contract started after.

So can I cancel without a fee?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is what it says .
    basically wait for the letter then contact the number . Do not just cancel as it will not void the contract .

1. Switch provider – you CAN leave your contract penalty-free
    According to rules imposed by regulator Ofcom, if there are mid-contract increases to your monthly line rental, broadband or mobile bill that weren't announced before you joined, you can cancel your contract without paying early termination charges.
    This normally only applies to contracts taken out after 23 January 2014. However, Virgin has chosen to allow all customers affected by these changes to leave, regardless of when they joined.
    Virgin's formally notifying customers by letter – you've then 30 days from receipt to let Virgin know if you want to leave. From that point there's a 30-day notice period, meaning you'll have to pay for this many days as a minimum. If you've paid for a year's line rental upfront you also won't be able to get a refund.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    People have been refused, in the past, as they have not had official notification, so if you don't get any, ask for it.
  • megaginge
    megaginge Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Like another poster I have no intention of dropping the broadband service ... In my case the 200mb service.

However, I'm paying almost £90 a month now.

I like BT sport but not enough to pay an extra £55/mo just for the privilege. We otherwise basically only watch terrestrial...

I guess I can't "cancel" - but can I haggle still? Any experiences? What would I say when I initially get through to retentions.. that I want to cancel everything except the BB because it's too expensive I guess ...

Ta/sorry for the daft almost rhetorical question ...
    Hello There. :beer:
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can someone confirm the letter contains an 0345 number to call and they have stopped promoting the old premium rate 0845 number?
  • Gunny
    Gunny Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Did the dance today,got a £50 credit , free speed increase from 70mb up to 100 mb bill reduced from £66 to £61 till February(covering the price increase) and £63 from February for 18 months.

Tried my hardest but that was the total best he would/could do

Just had an email though and said my package will be £57.99 not £61
  • alan17
    alan17 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gunny wrote: »
    Did the dance today,got a £50 credit , free speed increase from 70mb up to 100 mb bill reduced from £66 to £61 till February(covering the price increase) and £63 from February for 18 months.

Tried my hardest but that was the total best he would/could do

Just had an email though and said my package will be £57.99 not £61

Was your contract up? Or did you just call to try and get it reduced?

Just curious as I already had mine reduced a fair whack when I renewed my contract in Jan (12 month contract)
  • Valderrama
    Options
    I phoned today to try and cancel. The guy told me that it would cost £240. He eventually said I had been informed of a price increase back on 15 July 2016, is this possible? Seems a long time before 1 November, plus over a month before most of the media got hold of it.
    I'm 9 months into an 18 month contract, but didn't think this should make a difference.
    Is it possible the letter was in regard to a previous increase and I'm yet to receive the latest one?
    Help!
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Better wait for a letter.

Did your bill go up recently ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing