🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year

Options

Comments

• davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thing is I don't think anybody can regulate the prices really but it is a concern in terms of competition when they all do the same. What I do think needs to be stopped is in contract price rises.

I know people can leave without penalty but most people would expect a 12 or 18 month contract to be exactly that and not have price changes.

If I wanted to be up to no good I would speculate that, as the letter isn't dated, and is sent out in bulk, how would they know when the 30 days starts...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • JB162
    JB162 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    The letters are coded against each and every account. Therefore the agent can tell when the letter was sent and the system knows to. Therefore if you cancel on the 32nd day, the system will apply the Early Disconnection Fees to the account.

Unlike BT and Sky ect, Virgin are not required by OFCOM to give customers a penalty free get out, if prices go up. They do it because they choose to do it.

Reason for this is that you don't need a Virgin Telephone line to have Broadband, where as with BT, Sky ect you do.

No companies are required to let you out penalty free on TV. Sky don't! But Virgin do!
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1. I thought both BB and landline were increasing so it's a mute point

2. So if LR only increased, and I wanted to ditch it, what would I paid for just BB?
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just realised that virgin have announced yet more price increase.

For basic broadband its around £3 so about 15% on top of my current
    loyalty price of £22.50.

Have you received the letter yet informing you of the increase?

And what are you paying for basic fibre broadband no line rental or tv ?

Really tempted to move this time through sheer disgust at their twice yearly 10% hikes.blaming it on getting higher speeds,i did not sign up for higher speeds,dont need them.did not request them,and do not want them so why should i be paying more for them?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 August 2016 at 10:48AM
    Options
    According to their website, BB alone has gone from £30 to £32.25.

So you are still getting a discount.

i don't know if talktalk and still doing to deal of £21/month for fibre if you pay 18m LR in advance.

EDIT: No "Add up line rent including 18months upfront, the broadband cost, router p&p and activation fee it's £492.56 for 18mths, equivalent to £27.36/mth."
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    According to their website, BB alone has gone from £30 to £32.25.

So you are still getting a discount.

I suppose I am but when the product is redicously over priced
    and they keep smacking 10% price hikes every six months it does not feel like it.

I wonder if VM prices are included in the Bank of England's inflation basket to work out the supposed inflation rate,I think not .

Here's a good business plan price something worthy £30 stupidly at £50 and give it to people at £40 claiming everyone is getting a 20% loyalty bonus when in fact they are still paying 33% to much,that is exactly what VM do and what's more some idiots will still pay the £50.
  • whattochoose
    Options
    metrobus wrote: »
    Really tempted to move this time through sheer disgust at their twice yearly 10% hikes.blaming it on getting higher speeds,i did not sign up for higher speeds,dont need them.did not request them,and do not want them so why should i be paying more for them?
    My thinking exactly.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone actually had their letter yet?

I didn't receive a letter the last price hike or the one before that and the first I knew of it was when my bill was £3 more. So I'm not confident I will get a letter this time. But at least I've seen it here and know it's on the way.

I just don't want to miss the 30 day window to call and give notice/haggle.
    Sigless
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 August 2016 at 4:38PM
    Options
    This has come at an okay time for me.
    I am moving house this month so can look at the new customer deals and try and see if they will shift those prices, or take into account cashback.

Will look at Sky and potentially BT.

I only have 50MB fibre as I don't need a phoneline or TV - even though the TV was only an extra £5 a month (although really it was mroe as we paid the £164 or whatever it was for line rental saver).

Not had the letter yet though, so I am hoping to get it before the end of September. If not, I will just say I've received it anyway.
  • scoobyju1
    scoobyju1 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rev wrote: »
    Has anyone actually had their letter yet?

I didn't receive a letter the last price hike or the one before that and the first I knew of it was when my bill was £3 more. So I'm not confident I will get a letter this time. But at least I've seen it here and know it's on the way.

I just don't want to miss the 30 day window to call and give notice/haggle.

I received mine via email on Tues. My brother who took it out at the same time as me is yet to receive an email or letter via the post.

I cancelled the second I got the email. The guy on the phone was very persistent in saying they can absorb the price rise for me etc but I just wanted to cancel.

Bit stuck now in a way as Sky won't have me back as a new customer :rotfl: so I'm looking into other alternatives!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport