PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?

Options

Comments

• david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Over priced at £130k in this day and age?please serious replies only.Do people expect things to be given away????
    It's the buyers responsibility to make any changes-and I am SORRY but what the he'll do viewers expect when my parents were in their late 80s/90s???
    Well I won't accept less than £125 no matter what.Similar houses have gone for 130 to 140k not a chance. The quick sale companies offered me £125k if I left it on the market for a minth;the estate agent valuations are 135 to 140;
    People really are taking the liss suggesting £108k.

Chill out. Unfortunately you don't get to dictate what people offer for the house and getting angry about it isn't going to help anyone. Least of all you.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    But the point is its not selling OP. This money is a gain for you.., you, presumably, didn't pay the mortgage so sell it for what it will sell for. It seems it won't sell for the price you want. I know you probably feel your Dad is being dishonoured because no one wants the house you and he loved.., but you do have to be pragmatic too.

It isn't selling at the price you want to sell it for.

You do know EA's don't always tell the truth?

That's the thing that baffles me about so many probate sales. Vendors, for whom it is essentially a free windfall, holding out for every last unrealistic penny.

I stand to inherit my mother's house at some, hopefully distant, point. It will be going up at a very realistic price.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry agree with everyone else, overpriced.

Dont get me wrong you might sell for the price its on at but it will probably take you longer.

If a mars bar is 50p people buy them. If it becomes £1, less people buy them (and generally only if theyre on a ryanair flight), if its 25p more people buy them. Your dads house is a £1 mars bar. If you where looking around £120k based on similar properties and the fact EA overvalue properties by a few % then your dads house would be a 50p mars bar. If you where looking for £108k your dads house would be a 25p mars bar.

Got a friend in a similar situation, keeps getting upset her house isnt selling. Dont want to be the person to upset her and tell her its overpriced, no one likes to hear it. But its a matter of fact that people pay what they think something is worth, if no one is willing to pay for it, its not worth that much. I know its disappointing but realistically, your not losing out here are you? Just not gaining as much as you where led to believe?

Ok being angry at strangers on the internet, but its the estate agents that arent selling your property at the price they said they would. No one has ever told you theyd buy your house for £x amount, youve just been told by someone they could sell your house for £x amount.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    If you where looking for £108k your dads house would be a 25p mars bar.
    Looking at that last comparable, the £115k one... I think the dad's house is a 60p Mars at £108k, unless there's some locality wrinkle we're all missing. OP - can you help us on that?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    It's the buyers responsibility to make any changes
    Yes it is - and those changes are going to cost them a lot, and no-one is going to want to pay what you're asking for the house and then also pay for a complete refurbishment on top.
    So your options are to either lower the asking price to take in to consideration the work that needs doing, or do at least some of the refurb work yourself before selling.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Looking at that last comparable, the £115k one... I think the dad's house is a 60p Mars at £108k, unless there's some locality wrinkle we're all missing. OP - can you help us on that?

Isnt that a non standard constuction property? Using concrete panels or soemthing or other. Got friends in leeds who live in a similar property (to the £115k one, incidentally they paid about £60k a few years ago, bit of a rough area though but thought that was just leeds) and whilst they never struggled with getting a mortgage nor would most but thought they can effect valuations?!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Isnt that a non standard constuction property? Using concrete panels or soemthing or other. Got friends in leeds who live in a similar property (to the £115k one, incidentally they paid about £60k a few years ago, bit of a rough area though but thought that was just leeds) and whilst they never struggled with getting a mortgage nor would most but thought they can effect valuations?!

This one?
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58716662.html

Doesn't look it - it's certainly brick-faced, as are the adjoining properties, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Of course, "non-standard" doesn't necessarily mean "defective" - it looks too new for that, anyway.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2016 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Estate agents sometimes value properties at inflated prices to make you chose them over their competitors.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2016 at 11:23AM
    Options
    mattk_180 wrote: »
    Sounds like you just posted to hear what you wanted to hear and nothing else. You've come on to a forum asking advice, got pretty much the same response from everybody and then refuse to take said advice.

Edit - If the estate agent is so gleefully showing you similar properties that they have recently sold, then I'd be asking them this question as to why they can't sell yours.

One swallow does not a summer make.

She has shown you ONE house that sold for that sort of price. There will always be the odd one - down to someone buying from outside the area that doesnt know the prevailing prices OR someone particularly wanting to live in that exact road for some reason etc etc.

The question is = can she show you a noticeable number of houses in that area in that condition that have sold for that sort of price range?

I'm sorry it's not worth what you've been bargaining on - maybe you've already mentally spent the money you thought you would get for it? That is understandable and it's upsetting if it's going to be less than that - but it is the case that its very old-fashioned to many peoples eyes and people will be more "patient" with a probate sale as well (as in not rushing to pay over the odds for it - because they presume that the seller won't be needing the money to buy an onward purchase house). That isnt necessarily the case in this "day and age" where lots of people who obviously expect to own their own home don't do so yet and are still renting - but the usual assumption is that it's "extra money" to the seller iyswim.

No-one that has posted on this thread to date are wind-up merchants and/or nasty for the sake. The thread may attract some of them at some point - but, as things stand, none of us that have posted to date are that type.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    This one?
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58716662.html

Doesn't look it - it's certainly brick-faced, as are the adjoining properties, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Of course, "non-standard" doesn't necessarily mean "defective" - it looks too new for that, anyway.

Yes, its the covering above and below the living room window that makes me think its NSC. But yeh nothing wrong with it and so common doubt it makes much of an impact on getting a mortgage if any. But always noticed that style of house are marketed cheaper. certainly are near me anyway.

@ The op as mentioned getting anoyde at people on the internet is not selling your property. Try getting annoyed at the professionals who suggested they could sell it for £139k.

I dont believe anyone is trying to insult you except maybe the estate agents.

Advice on how to make it sell? Put some work and money in to make it more appealing for a FTB (think modern). If you cant afford it, make it more appealing to someone willing to put money and do work by reducing the price. Or try and find a 70+ year old family.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure