PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?

Options
I am posting this because I am completely bewildered as to why it's proving so hard to sell my late father''s 3 bedroom semi in Bramley,Leeds.
I originally put it in on for £145k-the estate agents' valuation -and in the middle of the online valuations.That wouldn't even but an apartment in Chapel Allerton -a northern part of Leeds.
I recently dropped the price and still have had few viewings.I think some of the viewers are just idiots who are not genuine about buying.The last viewer said he would only pay £108k.I take that as a personal insult and a joke frankly.
I know Yorkshire people are notorious for bring stingey (I am.one!)-but this is just taking the p****.
I don't understand what the problem is.Its very fairly priced at £132k.The house is immaculate and the decor is elegant though not the most modern or trendy-my dad was 90 when he died-why does anyone expect it?-if the decors not modern enough it's for the buyer to sort it -I simply can't afford such fundamental changes.
WHAT is going on???

Comments

• upoiupou
    upoiupou Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    What feedback have the viewers given? Are you selling through an estate agent and, if so, what does the agent say? Can they back this up with facts about what similar houses have sold for very recently?

I think you need to be as objective as you can and listen with an open mind to what they say. We haven't seen the house and we may not have a clue about the area - local estate agents and viewers are the ones who are best placed to tell you why you're not getting an offer in the region you're expecting.
  • Sexyscorp66
    Options
    The only feedback is that the "decor is old fashioned"-and the last viewer said "it needs a lot doing with it"-which I don't understand since its immaculate and structurally perfect-no disrepair or dry rot or faults.
    But seriously £108k??-that's not an objective price offer!!-apparently house prices went up in Leeds byv12% last year.
    I'm selling it through Whitegate 's estate agents.
    I'll put a photo on but I'm not sure the money saving website will let me
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It will be down to the price I'm afraid.
    As it needs modernisation any buyer will factor this into the price and reduce their offer accordingly.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From another post I'm guessing it's been on sale for a about a year, if so I would just taken the £108K or anything at this point.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry OP for extra grief you have from dad's house not selling.

Unfortunately 'immaculate' doesn't mean much if a house is very dated. It may as well be scruffy. It will cost the same to replace an immaculate old kitchen as a battered recent one. Sad but true. My mum's house will be the same if something happens to her - not a thing changed since 1987 when they moved in but lovingly maintained - a pink bathroom etc.

The 'predators' will also sniff an estate sale out and expect a bargain.

Hard to be more precise without area knowledge or seeing the competition.

Maybe take it off the market and start again in a couple of months and be 'new to market' with a different strategy?
  • Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41842239.html

That, presumably is OP's.

It's price - I could find the below for £2k less, they need far less decorative work. I'm not from Leeds, and the others may have other issues for all I know, but the fact yours has been sat around for ages suggests it's not priced to sell.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40108269.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43433073.html
  • peter_we
    peter_we Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, its over priced.
  • iantojones40
    Options
    Definitely over priced.

As others have said just because the existing decor, kitchen and bathroom are all "immaculate" doesn't mean that they're still not very dated and need replacing, this quite probably means the heating and electrics are also of a similar vintage and also in need of replacing.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've just had a looksee at the photos and it's a house I would rip literally every single thing out from - apart from the external doors/windows (as they are upvc already).

Literally everything else would go from the house and garden - including all the internal doors. I'm in my 60s and I want modern. So I'm guessing that the only people pretty much that would leave the house "as is" are the elderly agegroup (ie maybe people in their 70s would leave it as is/people in their 80s would almost certainly leave it as is). But people in an elderly agegroup probably wouldnt want that style of home - they might want something a bit "easier".

With the style being old-fashioned - then I would also think it pretty likely that the electrics and central heating also needed sorting out. With a house in a modern style - one tends to assume those basic things will have been dealt with (the whole "They wouldnt have decorated it in a modern style/put in modern bathroom and kitchen if they hadnt dealt with the basics first" way of thinking). That doesnt always follow - as I've seen houses that, at first glance, look as if they have been modernised/up-to-date taste etc and then catches a glimpse of where a powerpoint is positioned (ie much nearer the floor than we do these days) and realise it's only had a "surface job". By and large though - "old style" kitchen/bathroom/decor and one can guarantee the "basics" of electric and heating arent up-to-date.

Sorry - but its probably down to price.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd get in some other estate agents and see how they value it, it sounds to me like the ones you are with now grossly overvalued it in the first place and are trying to save face by not advising you to drop the price further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure