PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?

Options

Comments

• iantojones40
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    In that case you're an idiot.

We're in the house for life, hopefully 40 years plus. Bought in a popular area with a lot of competition (open day with 15-20 other viewers). We own 70% of it and the mortgage is half what our rent was for the last 6 months. We both work part time and still save between 1-2k a month.

You see, little man, panic is the last thing in my life ��

PS when's the house price crash happening?

I'll answer your last point first... at no point have I ever said I expect or predict any kind of house price crash, I've never even expressed the opinion that renting is better than buying.
    Please feel free to trawl through all my previous posts to confirm this.

As for your ongoing claims as to your own situation... I simply find it extremely difficult to believe you, I can't understand why anyone who is as comfortable and secure as you claim to be would feel the need to devote so much time and energy to coming on here...
    Constantly trying to ramp up the the market with predictions that recent levels of HPI are going to continue, apparently forever.
    Encouraging anyone and everyone to buy at any cost.
    Deriding anyone who suggests that a particular property, or the whole property market in general, is overpriced.
    Disagreeing with anyone who suggests that rampant HPI is hugely damaging to the entire economy and detrimental to peoples standards of living.

If, and that's a BIG IF, your description of your current situation is true and accurate can you not see how much more comfortable and secure you would now be if HPI had stayed at the same level as general inflation and wage inflation in recent years?... You would be living in an even nicer house, entirely mortgage free with far more disposable income and be able to work even less than you claim to work now.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2016 at 10:02AM
    Options
    Pop round for a cuppa then, pm me. Your obsession with hpc seems to have completely skewed your opinion of people.

Your claims above aren't true...unless you can provide quotes from me? Go on...

I'm just not the type of person who constantly thinks "I could have a bigger house if x, y, z". I don't care about it, trying hard to wait for the perfect house price to buy. Life's short, I've a beautiful toddler, wife, and a baby due in 3 weeks and they're all I care about. My work is seasonal and I'm now putting my feet up until mid Feb. Wife is now off for a year maternity and our large house in one of the best school catchment areas in scotland is costing us buttons.

I've been on this forum for years and enjoy reading it. Everything you've said above is made out to be more dramatic than it is. "Devote so much time and energy", "Constantly trying to ramp up the market", etc. I don't try to ramp up anything, I just state the observations I'm seeing (i.e. facts). My view isn't blinkered, unlike yours and Mr crashy legend. You slot in well to the category "HPC goon", keep up the good work.

PS I also find some people on here quite amusing.
  • davgray
    Options
    Should be ok by the sounds of it if there is a stagnation or reduction in prices in your situation then. Guess you would then in theory support it if it did happen and it would help the younger generation getting a home without having housing debt until they die.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Problem with cheap houses up north is spending money (say) 30k on new kitchen and bathroom will not add all that value and given prices up north, it will take a significant time to recoup the investment

In the south, 30k may represent 3% which will be recouped easily
  • Problem with cheap houses up north is spending money (say) 30k on new kitchen and bathroom will not add all that value and given prices up north, it will take a significant time to recoup the investment

Most people buy a home to live in not as an investment, pretty sure that's the same in the north too.
  • StumpyPumpy
    Options
    Problem with cheap houses up north is spending money (say) 30k on new kitchen and bathroom will not add all that value and given prices up north, it will take a significant time to recoup the investment

When it came to me selling a house "down south" recently I asked the EA whether or not it was worth getting the, admittedly tired and dated, kitchen and bathroom refitted. His response? Good God, no. Everyone has different ideas about what they want and most people will rip them out as soon as they move in: it won't add anything to the value.

And lo, when it sold (11 days after first being placed on the market) it was for the highest amount any comparable home in the area had ever sold for and having seen the buyer's plans I can honestly say they are nothing like what I would have had done.

So my experience and the experience of the agent would suggest that a belief that you will recover the price of a new kitchen in a future sale is misguided to say the least. Fit a kitchen because you want to have and use a new kitchen, not for any other reason.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • societys_child
    Options
    30k for a kitchen . .
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Who in their right mind will put 30k of kitchen in a house they are selling ?

!!!!!! I only spent 10k on my kitchen in my forever home
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 30k comment actually said 30k kitchen and bathroom, but still... more like £15-18k for a couple of really good quality rooms I'd suggest.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When it came to me selling a house "down south" recently I asked the EA whether or not it was worth getting the, admittedly tired and dated, kitchen and bathroom refitted. His response? Good God, no. Everyone has different ideas about what they want and most people will rip them out as soon as they move in: it won't add anything to the value.

And lo, when it sold (11 days after first being placed on the market) it was for the highest amount any comparable home in the area had ever sold for and having seen the buyer's plans I can honestly say they are nothing like what I would have had done.

So my experience and the experience of the agent would suggest that a belief that you will recover the price of a new kitchen in a future sale is misguided to say the least. Fit a kitchen because you want to have and use a new kitchen, not for any other reason.

SP

Agreed, the "home makeover" TV shows (brainwash) over the last decade and a half have a lot to answer for. People are buying location, schools, size, good area, value for money etc. not a kitchen or a bathroom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure