We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Options

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Annoying start but cool on the meal planning
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Annoying start but cool on the meal planning
    I am going well, changed address on a work insurance policy that I had forgotten about. Now going to walk to town to post a letter get the pasta and see if a!di are selling any carbon monoxide alarms. Good for my health with the walking and no petrol cost :D
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £600/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15893.61/£22787.04
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Today certainly seems to be an action day and I amdetermined to do as much as I can while I am in a positive mood.

I am after a bit of advice. I have a 3 different savings accounts with my bank as savings pots for different things and all have different interest rates, 0.10%, 0.50%, 0.95%. Now it makes sense to put everything into the higher interest rate account but I am unsure how easy it is going to be to get my head around what is where as amounts go out at different times through the year. I know the answer is going to be a spreadsheet but I am unsure how to set this up so I can use it easily, can anyone help please? I am able to use the surplus in each account at certain points through the year as OPs and I am sure this will still be possible but it is making my brain hurt trying to work out what I am doing.

Before going into town this morning I counted up my change pot and was able to pay £7 into the bank. It is amazing the difference not having my bank card has made, I left it at work by mistake on Friday so have had to use the joint account and transfer the money over so I have been using my cash or screening what I am buying. I am looking forward to doing this full time in October.

Outside windows are being cleaned for the first time since I moved in, shame I don't have any cash to pay them, hopefully they can come back later for payment. They were really grubby so it will make a huge difference but may mean I need to clean the insides too...
  • ajmoney
    Options
    The outside of my house has suddenly got very busy. Window cleaner has just left, roofers are working on the house and about 6 gardeners have just arrived. I have asked them to do a couple of extra things that brother in law let me down on. I am hoping for a good weekend weather wise as all the big outdoor stuff will be done and my garden bin empty so I can get on with some of my own jobs out there. Safe to say I won't be gardening today as there is no space out there for me :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Guttering finished now, the outside of my house is looking clean and fresh, I am very happy with the job they have done.

I still can't get a doctors appointment until next Tuesday so have had to book it. After venting my frustration at my line manager we have found another avenue for me to explore to try and get the support I need.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    The new avenue we are exploring is working and I have my first appointment in 3 weeks time so hopefully I can start getting things sorted.

Keeping to not spending much for the rest of the month is going quite well. I am looking forward to quite a strict challenge for me through October and seeing how it will work long term.

Now all I need to work on is this issue with waking up early!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Hoping to use the productiveness from Monday morning over this weekend. I have the next three days off and have a lot I would like to do. The focus on each day is sea swimming as I could do with covering 3 miles over those days to catch up on a swimming challenge I am doing. I have a mammoth swim session yesterday morning so I am unsure how much my shoulders will cope but I am going to do my best anyway.
    The weather looks good so I want to tackle some areas in the garden, unsure if I will be able to cut the grass though as it has been quite wet here.
    Money wise I will need to be economical with the money I have left for this month, I don't need to do too many miles in my car so am hopeful I don't need to fill it up with fuel. I will have a better idea of how much money I will have after I have done my shop today.
    I hope everyone has a good weekend x
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Hope you are getting the help you need. I always tell the doctor's receptionist it's urgent or you have to wait weeks at my practice. Prioritise you. Good if you can get support through work - that's helpful too. It's important to practice self care regularly. Fast from negative news. Plan nice things in etc... Social media can be unhelpful too as people tend to only post the best bits of their lives and hide the other 99%
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 235 payments to go - now £182,428 Equity 27.02%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £6.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.2K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.1K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.1K
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope avenue works out. I resorted to a private doctor and spend from the 'slush fund' and that really helped.
    As for spreadsheet no idea. I use a simple one and use colours as that helps me 'see' what is what. I have the interest rates at the top. And use a - calculation for what is committed elsewhere and that shows me total savings and also what I will need to spend.
    Goodness that sounds v complicated but it is just a very colourful chart :)
    Also something that helped me was working out what 1.6% of £1000 was and realising that peace of mind was having 3 savings points even if the lowest was only on .10% If the difference was going to be £15 a year I would just miss that £15. I know it isn't really MSE and back in the early days i would have chased every penny but now I am all for making it easier enough. Times is stressful enough :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Hope avenue works out. I resorted to a private doctor and spend from the 'slush fund' and that really helped.
    As for spreadsheet no idea. I use a simple one and use colours as that helps me 'see' what is what. I have the interest rates at the top. And use a - calculation for what is committed elsewhere and that shows me total savings and also what I will need to spend.
    Goodness that sounds v complicated but it is just a very colourful chart :)
    Also something that helped me was working out what 1.6% of £1000 was and realising that peace of mind was having 3 savings points even if the lowest was only on .10% If the difference was going to be £15 a year I would just miss that £15. I know it isn't really MSE and back in the early days i would have chased every penny but now I am all for making it easier enough. Times is stressful enough :)
    Watty I will have to read this over and over to understand this :rotfl:
    It is nice to have reminders of how different Mr AJM and I in our approach to money and saving. I had mentioned the other day that I was going to try only spending cash through October to try and understand my spending habits and he looked at me like I had three heads! He knows I have been struggling with money a little since we moved into our own houses even though most of this is because I keep spending on things I want whether I can afford to or not, what he probably doesn't realise is I have prioritised OPing over that and am still putting money into my pots too...I have just been raiding my ISA to help. No more though, October is the month I take control :j:j:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport