Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We just cross posted so my arrows point at your post and not lomcevak's post.

We replaced our boiler a few years ago and had some scary quotes so definitely worth shopping around.
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • Radish72
    Radish72 Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ajmoney wrote: »

Pay off mortgage earlier by reducing the term

Reduce monthly payments

Keep the payments the same until they recalculate at any rate change

We did option 3, and then when the bank changed their interest rate we altered the standing order to always keep the payment the same each month

If you then need some extra money, you can give them a call and ask them to recalculate your monthly figure
    Mortgage Aug 12 £165K, Aug 19 £0
    ISA challenge start 2019 £3000/£1500 (50%)
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to stick to option number 3 while I can afford to. When I remortgage in April 2021 I will reset it to number 2 as I will be 15 months from a career change (unless they extend me at work) and I will need the lower amount. Before I make the payment I might call the mortgage team to find out what the difference in monthly payment might be and make my plan then.

I am tempted to make another OP, I have budgetted £50 a month for life insurance but haven't set anything up since we cancelled the joint policy so might OP it this month rather than end up spending it. With it being just me I am not sure what I am going to do, there is a company I would like to use so might get a quote and see.

Had a lovely loch swim today, the first in 3 weeks and so much nicer than the sea, I met some great people too.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £500/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,470 Forumite
    Options
    We have had our heating on a couple of times.

One chilly morning and today as DD has the sniffles!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I have OPd the £50, that way I shouldn't miss it!

I decided to make the most of the heating last night and put my washing on the radiators before filling up the clothes airer.

Off into Edinburgh today to buy some birthday presents for family and window shop for some Christmas ideas, I have 7 and a half weeks to try and get everything and so far I haven't got a clue what to buy.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,470 Forumite
    Options
    Have fun! DD requested Edinburgh Zoo today, but was rebuffed as she's going to Blair Drummond Safari Park at the weekend. It's a hard life :rotfl:
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I feel I have been getting behind at work while my head hasn't been in the game, I have gone through all the emails that haven't been dealt with and made a basic list of what needs to be done from each. Luckily most of them are just early stage calls and possibly meetings so my aim is to deal with each of those by the end of the week.

The weather is a little wild to swim this morning which is a shame because I could really do with the mood boosting effect from it but may set out for a walk later instead.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Apologies to anyone who reads my diary but this will be a sanctuary of sorts until things calm down in my life a bit. The bonus is things can't get any lower now and I just need to find a way to slowly pull myself up but unsure how to start.

Moneywise, not much to report but I need to be very careful not to spend to try and make myself feel better.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    You've gone through 2 of the most stressful things a person can go through. You're bound to feel a out of sorts. You are doing the right things, financially keeping records, and exercise to look after yourself and give you time. As you say things can only get better. Your diary is your collection of thoughts and plans.. the beauty of anonymity x
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Moneyfordreams thank you so much for your words. It is so hard to be alone with all this in real life. I have my first referral appointment next Wednesday which I am hoping will help me to process things and I have a weekend with my parents this weekend where I am hoping to get a quiet chat with my dad. The next week is me learning to live again albeit a little differently and truly by myself, essentials with some exercise and being kind to myself and not asking any more of me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure