Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been reading your diary without commenting for a while - you are certainly hard on yourself and I echo it is OK to just be sometimes.

Re the trades/handy man issue is one that resonates with me. We have a FB group for our location and it is a great place to ask for recommendations when you don't know who you can trust in your new location and you don't know the neighbours well enough to know if you trust their judgement. There is nothing like four or five people recommending the same tradesman to reassure though
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am hopeful today will be the start of getting my life back a little bit. I should be having a phone call this evening to get some information to help me move forward from the last curveball that was thrown my way, it is a shame I am going for a swim first as I think I will need the therapeutic effects of open water afterwards. Tomorrow is my first appointment which is why I have insisted on tonight's phone call so I can go in and get the most of the session and find a way to progress on my new life path.

In other news, I have heating in my living rom now, £83 ish bill and my radiator works. I am still considering getting quotes for new radiators but it is not necessary in the immediate timeframe. I have just under £5k left from the sale profit of our house which I am strictly using for this house.

I have spent £180 so far on fuel this month and am likely to spend a bit more still with my swimming. I had no idea how much I needed to budget so this is helping me get an idea. I currently have about £200 not allocated to anything this month, going to use what is left for present shopping for the festive period at the end of the month.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £500/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you have heating again and that you got to talk to your mum. Playing flute in a residential home I am sure made a lot of difference to a lot of people. Good to bring light and joy to people along the way.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • ajmoney
    Options
    First step complete on how I start to move forward. While the latest curveball has been truly terrible I may have been able to salvage something from it, it also means I have an idea of how things will be from now on. A bit of adjusting and time and I am hopeful things will be ok. I felt sick with worry about making the phone call but I was honest and that is all anyone can ask of me. I am hoping to continue with that in tomorrow's appointment although I am very nervous as I have no idea what is going to happen in it.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hopefully things will be on the up now. Be kind to yourself too and do more of what makes you happy x
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Appointment was scheduled for an hour and a half but I was in for nearly 2 hours in the end. I talked a lot over the last 2-3 years and anything I thought had led me to the point I am at now. I am on a wiating list for an anxiety group and/or CBT and have been given some things to try in the meantime. I can't remember half of what he suggested but will start with the things I can remember, I am meant to be getting an email with some links to help. I am going to allow myself the rest of this week just to be and try a couple of the mind things he has suggested and as of Sunday when I get back from work I am going to try a new approach to things.

I went for a lovely swim this evening and then went for dinner with Mr AJM as I couldn't be bothered to cook. We had a good discussion about my appointment today, how things may help him too and I vented about a few things at work. Back far later than planned so only just rinsed all my swim stuff, checking some internet bits and bobs then going to see how my sleep is. Wondering if tonight may be more rested after all the talking I have done over the last 2 days!!!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I don't think it is a coincidence that I feel rested this morning, I didn't sleep through but the quality of what I got was better. I was given ways to try and help me get back to sleep yesterday, they weren't particularly successful but he had asked what it was that kept me awake when I wake. Last night each time I woke I had songs going around in my head with poignant lyrics :rotfl:the bonus is my mind wasn't tormenting me with anything else. I am introducing one technique today which is to give my mind a few moments throughout the day to speak rather than silencing it by keeping it busy, the theory is it should mean it is less likely to be active when I go to sleep.

While still giving myself the next couple of days just to be I have the morning off and don't want to waste it so am going to clean the house and see if I can come up with a meal plan for the next few days. I have already sorted all my financial stuff ready for next month so I can plan my present buying.

Truly hoping I don't crash in a bit as I have positivity at the moment.
  • Radish72
    Radish72 Posts: 2,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please tell me it wasn't baby shark lyrics going thorough your head (probably not as you said poignant)

If you don't know the song baby shark, DO NOT google it and then listen to it

I repeat DO NOT google it (you have been warned) :rotfl:
    Mortgage Aug 12 £165K, Aug 19 £0
    ISA challenge start 2019 £3000/£1500 (50%)
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Radish72 wrote: »
    Please tell me it wasn't baby shark lyrics going thorough your head (probably not as you said poignant)

If you don't know the song baby shark, DO NOT google it and then listen to it

I repeat DO NOT google it (you have been warned) :rotfl:

That song :eek: when I was on holiday at New year one little girl realised how much I hated it and kept singing it! No, it wasn't baby shark.
  • Radish72
    Radish72 Posts: 2,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ajmoney wrote: »
    That song :eek: when I was on holiday at New year one little girl realised how much I hated it and kept singing it! No, it wasn't baby shark.

Bet you're singing it now though (please accept my apology)
    Mortgage Aug 12 £165K, Aug 19 £0
    ISA challenge start 2019 £3000/£1500 (50%)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback