Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Options

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 June 2017 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Afternoon All

So hot. Have just popped in at the business to get some shade and regroup before I head down to pick up DS. I'm feeling a bit all over the place today.

The Good

* I had an idea last night that has burnt through my brain like wildfire. I woke up all fired up to crack on and made a plan on what I could get done. I have managed to burst in Erin Brockovich style to three local offices and have conversations with somewhat surprised men in suits. Probably half the surprise was being accosted by a women with a small child in a pram rather than them doing the cold calling for once! Take that!
    Will it do any good? Maybe. It has also triggered another spiral of thought and I've already realised I know someone in the field I'd need to speak to. So all good there.

* On Monday I set myself the goal of gaining 50 new followers of a useful nature on my social media by Sunday. I hit that goal yesterday!

* Have had enquiries in from East and SW London in the last day. Again the work of social.

The less good

* The event yesterday wasn't a smash hit. Always sad when that happens.

* My energy is sapped by small annoying things constantly. For example a leaking pipe that I thought had been fixed hasn't been. One of my tenants leaving irritants to the neighbours without my knowledge. My window cleaner leaving me incorrect bills, leading to me wading back through my account to check if it was him or me wrong. It was him. Having people need hand holding all the time, I feel I am doing more than 80% of the work in several of my relationships, it benefits me to put the work in so I do. But why can't people be more motivated and focused? Especially when it's their business that benefits!

* Realistically I need more money coming in. My predicted smash hit month didn't happen. It all came at the start and by the middle fell flat.

* Need a new pair of trainers! Mine are flat as a pancake. But not a priority when you've bills to pay.

All of this is relevant because I've started thumbing another book. Which has as its main premise, 'you will be as good as you think you will'
    And I think I can be much better, and want to be. But the constant juggling is so draining.

DD has just fallen asleep for the first time today, which is great for her. But means she will be up all evening most likely. It's like that every other night at the moment. Again, takes away time I could spend working on things. Still, they are only little once.

Enjoy the sunshine and end of half term all.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Options
    JWPopps wrote: »
    Hi Bob!

I've just caught up with your diary after a little break and I have to say you have a really engaging writing style you know! So please DS loved his creative endeavors!

Thanks so much, from a writer I will take that as high praise. I do enjoy writing. :)

• Bobarella
    Options
    Awww im so glad DS enjoyed his day Bob :D, how annoying about the other place. Kids do notice the injustice when unruly kids get away with murder and wonder why they could never get away with that. Its not on at all though but the way of the world as I tell my girls.

Hope today is a good one for you xx

You are right as always. Children do learn that not everyone is fair, and neither is life. My Son has complained quite a lot this year at school about teachers that show favouritism. The talented kids get a better deal particularly in PE. It is a shame isn't it.
    So glad it went well :D Hopefully it will help to build his confidence that not everywhere is the same as the bad place!

Hope you have a lovely day.

Confidence is half the battle isn't it. Thanks :)
    Glad he had a great time, that must've been a relief.

Fingers crossed for more bookings xx

Yes it was, hope you are well too. :)

• Bobarella
    Options
    So pleased he enjoyed it - looking forward to reading all about his masterpiece.

Thanks Cat :D I think the course facilitators are lovely. So much time for the children. Some people really do make a difference (I'm sure your class think so too)
    kirtsypoos wrote: »
    The activity for DS sounds wonderful - glad he is enjoying it :)

Thanks Kirsty. :)

• emmie26
    emmie26 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popped in to say hi, had a quick read and will subscribe :beer:
    My step sister lives in London and there is always amazing things for the children to do, I'd love to live there, except for the house prices :eek:

Total Debt: [STRIKE]£24,359.79[/STRIKE] £16,452
    debt reduced by 32%
    Debt free date: May 2019
  • Bobarella
    Options
    emmie26 wrote: »
    Just popped in to say hi, had a quick read and will subscribe :beer:
    My step sister lives in London and there is always amazing things for the children to do, I'd love to live there, except for the house prices :eek:

Hi Emmie

Thanks for reading. Yes it's an amazing place. I think raising children in London is great from a cultural perspective. House prices are bonkers it's true. We paid £174k for our first flat in 2004. It's currently worth £500k. We can never live in it again as it's too small for us. But long term plan would be to sell up and buy somewhere else mortgage free. Eventually.
    For now, we just boot strap it baby!

Have a good night

Bob

• Bobarella
    Options
    Hi All

I am so bad at relaxing! I don't think I actually know how. My husband has taken the children to a birthday party and as I was out this morning and didn't come back till 3ish will have several hours alone. I have so far spent an hour tidying the house and feeling guilty that there are so many things I could be getting on with. I am guessing the secret of relaxing is knowing on a regular basis you will have time to do it. So having this curve ball thrown at me today means I'm not prepared!
    Jobs I could do- more weeding. That is a never ending job at the moment. But it was still too hot the last time I stepped out the door.
    Hoovering - will make me hot. And I will have to go out tonight and do a load of cleaning back at work so less tempted to do it at home I think.

See rubbish! Am attempting a bit of reading of an actual book rather than my tablet. Clearly winning there ;)

Anyway that's my confession over and done with. As you were.

Bob

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone on the relaxing or 'me time' :rotfl:

I always end up cleaning or ironing :o :rotfl:
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bob - thinking of you today. Hope all is well with you after last night's events.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone on the relaxing or 'me time' :rotfl:

I always end up cleaning or ironing :o :rotfl:

Pre kids I used to be able to while away hours reading and always had some kind of book/magazine on the go. How times change!
    Bob - thinking of you today. Hope all is well with you after last night's events.

Thank you Cat. We were at home and thereabouts last night. But it has knocked us both so much as London Bridge is our main commuter route. Until DH started working from home so much he was in and out there each day. If we do day trips we use that station. And until 2011 I worked in the Borough area. It feels so close this time.
    I'm staying off social today because it feels like so many businesses are only posting to be on the band wagon and I'd rather keep a dignified silence than add to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport