We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What's this thing in my cellar?

13567

Comments

  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    It has to be opened OP, how could you not?
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Jamiesmum wrote: »
    It looks quite small, what size is it?
    Looking at this picture and going by the stairs and stair supports,
    2wOgzzayEZYrIDNf5dJasSix_kIsx0avWVHEPTlyoKI?size_mode=3&size=800x600&dl=0
    I would put the hatch at about 8" X 4"
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 3,222 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Or a dead body lying underneath in which case you all get moved out due to the Police taking over your house for months on end.

    Only if you tell them...
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If there is a body under there, it will either be very small or will have been cut up to get it through the hatch so getting it out again and dropping it off at the local tip shouldn't be too difficult.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Whatever is down there, and my guess is mud, before closing it and concreting over you could put a time capsule in there.

    If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life


    ...but still have the same amount of snow!
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Looks like a floor safe with the key hole my parents had one similar.
  • dominoman
    dominoman Posts: 973 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Oooh. Would be very exciting if it's a floor safe! Don't worry I will definitely be getting it open one way or another before I cement over it. And I'll do my best to avoid cementing over it at all I think. It's an interesting feature whatever it is.

    Ampersand - Thanks for the ideas. I've sent an email to my local historical society. Will see what they say.

    George Michael - Thanks for the idea. I'll get myself one of those keys to try and lift it. I'd rather not damage the hatch if I can help it.
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,348 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Oh how intriguing!
    Bet it's a safe :j.
    Hurry back and let us know as soon as you can dominoman.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50





  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Serial killer lair.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,915 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    How exciting! Definitely some form of key slot there
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.