We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What's this thing in my cellar?

24567

Comments

  • dominoman
    dominoman Posts: 973 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Haha! Don't worry I'll definitely post back.

    Yes, I too was thinking a soakaway was the most likely. Seems strange that it would have a key hole for that though. At least I think it has a key hole, but it's all so rusted up that it's hard to tell.

    I'm going to try to soak it in WD40 tonight. If that doesn't work then I'll drill it and crowbar it open.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    As its got a key hole I'm guessing it's a floor safe
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

    You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 7,050 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why has nobody suggested a secret passage ............. ;)
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    dominoman - please do contact your Local History Group :-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET


  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    hole-image-extra-553x279-custom.jpg
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    I think that keyhole is for inserting a tool to lift the hatch.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I think that keyhole is for inserting a tool to lift the hatch.
    That's what I was thinking.
    It might be worth buying something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUMBING-TOOLS-PAIR-OF-MANHOLE-LIFTING-TOOLS-170MM-STEEL-/191911507143?hash=item2caed134c7:g:rNUAAOSwkNZUdlvv
    If you can get one to fit in the "keyhole" then put a long piece of scaffolding tube or something similar through the handle, you may get enough leverage to lift the cover after it's had a good soak with WD40.
  • Jamiesmum
    Jamiesmum Posts: 368 Forumite
    Posting so I can follow this. It looks quite small, what size is it?
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Full of golden coins! Bound to be!

    Either way, there's absolutely no way I would ever be satisfied with no knowing!!
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Or a dead body lying underneath in which case you all get moved out due to the Police taking over your house for months on end.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.