We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What's this thing in my cellar?

12357

Comments

  • woody2234
    woody2234 Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    edited 27 July 2016 at 10:11PM
    Well if you find a 12.5 KG Gold bar in the safe its worth about £421 K looking at this website

    https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-bars/good-delivery-gold-bar/umicore-12-5kg-gold-bar/

    But if its a 5 Kg Silver bar its worth £3.2 K

    https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-bars/5kg-silver-bar/

    And If you find Gold, Silver, and Diamonds in the safe then it could make you very wealthy like the lottery winners you see on TV
    Let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette 1765)
  • dominoman
    dominoman Posts: 973 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    I tried to prise it open yesterday but couldn't.

    It has a keyhole but it's a very small one and none of my keys will get in there. So it's a choice of drill it (would rather not damage it if I can help it) or get a locksmith out.
  • If it's definitely a keyhole and not just a hole for a lifter then it certainly sounds like it could be a floor safe.
    Have you considered seeing if you can chisel out a bit of concrete from one side to see how deep it is?
    If it's fairly shallow, you may be able to did all the way around and totally remove it from the floor then once it's out, see about getting it open.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    dominoman wrote: »
    I tried to prise it open yesterday but couldn't.

    It has a keyhole but it's a very small one and none of my keys will get in there. So it's a choice of drill it (would rather not damage it if I can help it) or get a locksmith out.
    Just remember, if brute force doesn't work.........





    .....your not using enough of it :D

    If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life


    ...but still have the same amount of snow!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Quote: "It's used for storage and junk and not much else, as it gets damp".


    Site for a sump pump. If/when the cellar floods or water seeps through the porous brick walls the sump is the lowest part of the cellar and its where you put the pump to pump out water................

    That's my guess , I've seen dozens of them in cellars. I'm guessing the reason its got a top to it rather than being left open is because someone would break their ankle in the dark if it wasn't covered.......:D

    I haven't read from here on but that would be my thought too,
    We had a 1st home, 1876 terrace. Ours housed the sump pump, added in the 70's, ours was the middle of 3 and had the pump installation.
    It was similar to the images, it's a late addition, not something from ancient times.

    Still may house a body or two though, :A:A:A;););):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just remember, if brute force doesn't work.........

    I only told them to blow the bl00dy doors off.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

    Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Jamiesmum
    Jamiesmum Posts: 368 Forumite
    Don't waste money on a lock smith as it could be potentially, nothing.

    I would just drill it, if it turns out to be some nifty safe or anything cool you can mend and preserve it (if that is what you choose) or even just put a rug over it and have a cool talking point.

    As much as I am dying to know what it is I don't think you should spend money on it.

    Drill a bit and see how tough it is. Would it budge with extra man power? Or is it literally welded down?
  • just place one of these above the hatch, pull pin out and come back after 10 secs.....M-67Grenade.jpg
  • basil92
    basil92 Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    just place one of these above the hatch, pull pin out and come back after 10 secs.....M-67Grenade.jpg


    A bit extreme...but that would probably do the trick..

    It might be tricky finding the hatch again under all the rubble from the collapsed house above though?
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself :cool:

    Chopper98 wrote: »
    Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
  • dominoman
    dominoman Posts: 973 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Update... So i got in.

    I had to chisel off half an inch of old rust and smack the hell out of it with a cold chisel, but eventually I managed to prise it open. It wasn't even locked.

    Unfortunately, as suspected, it was empty. Just lying full of old water and rust, with the old lock and key sitting in the bottom. So looks like someone else got their first! Photo is attached (rubbish quality photo Im afraid).

    Interesting to know it was a safe after all, and not a sump or access hole. Someone must have had some decent jewels to hide because it is set deep in the concrete then hidden under lino flooring - and it is a very sturdy old lump of iron.

    2016-07-28%2023.52.36.jpg?dl=0

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibesaa6ez33hn0i/2016-07-28%2023.52.36.jpg?dl=0
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.