PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 25th July 2016

Options
Valli
Valli Posts: 24,798 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 28 July 2016 at 9:20PM in Old style MoneySaving
last week's thread

As you may be aware one of our long time members has been banned; please be aware that there are forum rules about discussing these decisions. It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Do not lose heart if you cannot keep up with everyone else or reading the thread, don't try to reply to everyone and please remember to include something about flying in all your posts.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok here goes this week!

Monday Munch Mess Mayhem - KITCHEN

Level 1
Empty the BIN - and swill it out; make it smell sweet
Rehome anything that has been left lying around or isn't where it should be - it's amazing how a declutter makes a place look cleaner!
Wipe the worktops and anything that is visible on them, including that kettle - after you've descaled it, that is!
With a very slightly damp cloth wipe the sockets, switches and door handles.

Level 2
Wipe down all the door fronts, cupboard doors etc
Get down on your hands and knees and give the kickboards (mind has gone blank but they have another name, too)
Windowsill - clear, wipe and replace only what actually lives there

Level 3
Take any mats outside and whack them against the wall
Sweep/vacuum/mop the floor
Clean the windows

Extras
Sort out ONE drawer - you get to choose which but be ruthless and bin junk
Sort through winter accessories - hats/scarves/gloves. Give them a wash if they will be used again; fling if not!
Check your TOOTS list...with the fine weather is there any job you could get done (eg curtain washing/pillow washing/duvet washing)?
HHI - you're bound to have some! I have!

Twinkling Tuesday - Your sanctuary - the boudoir!

Level One
Strip the bed; leave it to air - open the window wide
Remove the floordrobe - everything away or in the wash
Remake the bed before moving up a level!

Level Two
Remove everything from surfaces, wipe and dust things and where they are
Wipe - with a barely damp cloth switches and door handles

Level 3
Vacuum thoroughly - don't forget the curtains!
Vacuum cloth lamp and light shades
Check for, and deal with, cobwebs!

Extras
Sort through shoes and boots - sort them into piles -

Pile 1 (keep)- clean, polish, put away
Pile 2 (keep but need attention)- cobblers - bag them up ready for repair
Pile 3 (no longer wanted on voyage) - FERLINNNG

If you are going to need nametapes for uniform order online now.

End of the month approaches - do you need any birthday (or any) cards for August? Write a list ready to take with you when you go shopping!

Wiping Wednesday - bathrooms and en suites...

Level 1
Open the window...
Flush the loo and coat it with your cleaner of choice
While it's soaking clean the sills and polish mirrors
Empty any bins
Top up the loo roll dispenser - check you've enough
Scrub the loo out then wipe it with hot soapy water outside and in - don't forget the gungy bits by the hinge!

Level Two
shine the sink
polish the taps
Wipe all surfaces/sills

Level 3 bath and/or shower
Wipe with hot soapy water
polish the taps with a damp m/f cloth
clean the window

Clean the floor

Extras
If it's fine half an hour weeding or watering as appropriate
If you are at home with the kidlets plan a playdate
Do something for yourself - manicure, pedicure or just lie back and enjoy that gleaming bathroom in a bubbly bath!
Check your prescription meds - if you're going away have you enough?
Scheduled any Toots list tasks? Do share - we (well I) might get motivated!

Living Room Loveliness

Level 1
Open the windows
get the crevice tools and upholstery tools out and vacuum your sofas and chairs.
Lift and plump cushions; swap/turn if necessary
If you can move them and vacuum/sweep under them too

Level 2
Shift anything that doesnt belong
dust/wipe
wipe sockets and switches

Level 3
Polish all wood
wash/dust light fittings - dont forget the bulbs!
clean windows
Vacuum drapes

Extras

1) How's that TOOTS list looking? Find an onerous task and break it down into babysteps - take the first step!
2)Plan a visit to a local beauty spot/visitor attraction - be a tourist in your hometown/locality - we take what's on our doorstep for granted!
3) I notice a few comments re me time - if you're thinking of taking up a new hobby use the WWW to find out what's on offer in your area

FRIDAY GET FRESH FOR THE WEEKEND

AND ENLIST ANY HELP YOU CAN!

Go round the house opening all the windows - and armed with a bin bag.
Collect any rubbish/empty waste bins as you go - straight into the binbag!
Go back to each room and straighten cushions/tidy/make beds 10 minutes per room - MAX.
Run the vacuum over heavy traffic areas.

S&S in the kitchen and the bathroom.

Now, hopefully the house looks tidy enough.

Enjoy the weekend!

Finally, thank you to Natty for last week's thread. I am happy to step in on supply, Natty, please let me know!
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm in, thank you forthe thread and to our supply leader for the week xxx

Been up since silly o'clock again BUT

Whole house is clean
    WM x 3 out on line
    Admin type stuff started
    Listy made for food and a plan for meals as well
    Bills checked on line and seems ok

To do
    Tip run
    Food shop
    Post office, as I have sold something else of eby................ I know I keep saying one day I will run out, but it keeps going out..............
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Biscuit_monster
    Options
    Morning,

Thanks very much for stepping in Valli, it's very much appreciated x

Am I actually first? Wow!

Am going to be on it today! No paid stuff until Friday!
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was waiting for a nod of approval before I started the thread, hence the delay.

I have pegged out washing (3 lots)

Just about to have my breakfast then I am off to work, where flingage is the order of the day!

I will be back later to monitor your progress.

*cracks whip*
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Valli:A - I'll be in from tomorrow when I get back home from holiday.

Today's flying will consist of packing my suitcase and, errr, being a tourist!! Hope that counts :rotfl:

Strangely looking forward to being able to keep up with you all over the next few weeks and getting my house back to a good flylady standard.

Hugs to all who want or need one xx
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you Valli.

DH and I have had a difficult conversation about shared responsibilities. He has asked me to make a list, so I shall have to go upstairs to the PC- I find it easier to think whilst typing (kinaesthetic learner!!!).
    But shower first, and S&S ensuite...

A bit apprehensive about the day ahead.

Hope e everyone has a good day and that LW gets another house guest asap x
  • GunShotResidue
    GunShotResidue Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 July 2016 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Yay! Thank you for the new thread!

I've done some bits, like cleaning the bin, over the weekend so my list is...

Wipe the worktops and anything that is visible on them
    Sort out bottom drawer

Hope everyone has had a good weekend :) I am inspired by your signature kazwookie, I have 74lbs to lose!
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning all,

Thank you Valli for stepping in :A

Firstly, some of you may remember my grandad is unwell. He is receiving end of life care and it is likely to be this week that we say our goodbyes. Could those who pray please pray for a peaceful passing and coping vibes for my grandma xx

I am most definitely in. It's the first week of the school holidays here, only 7 weeks until DD starts Reception. There are loads of fiddly jobs I want to do in the house starting with sprucing up the downstairs loo - I have ripped up the stinky carpet that was left in there by the previous owners (I hate carpeted toilets and bathrooms) and ordered the lino to replace it.

Right I need a cuppa have lovely days all x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Valli for the lists :)

I have my own list on paper which I'll also be working from.

Monday Munch Mess Mayhem - KITCHEN
    Level 1
    Wipe the worktops and anything that is visible on them, including that kettle - after you've descaled it, that is!
    Level 2
    Get down on your hands and knees and give the kickboards a wipe
    Level 3
    Take any mats outside and whack them against the wall
    Clean the windows
    Extras
    Sort out ONE drawer - you get to choose which but be ruthless and bin junk
    Check your TOOTS list...with the fine weather is there any job you could get done (eg curtain washing/pillow washing/duvet washing)?
    HHI - you're bound to have some! I have!

Right now though I need to get bills paid and my household accounts up to date while DD walks Zack :wave:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Valli for stepping in xxx

Hugs and peace to you and yours, ATB xxx

Sticks and spoons to all in need!

I'm around this week but most definitely off list as decorating is happening here.

Have had text from Majorca and all is well - sounds like great fun :)

Made a big frittata this morning that should keep me going all day, plus used up some leftovers. Will free up lots of time for painting. I've done inside the under- stairs bit already but now I'm having a drink and then will start removing the acky border that is all around the top of the walls. Hope it comes off easily... Yuck.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Food shop done and under budget for the week! :)
    Parcel has been posted
    Tip run done
    Spent loads of time doing these 3 things, as kept bumping in to folk I know, and had to stop and chat...................
    DW now of a cleaning cycle.

See the list has windows on it, may do the front ones in a bit, but the sun is on the back ones so those will have to wait.

May have the musketeers around in a bit, courtesy of iplayer...........

Now windows or musketeers, windows or musketeers, windows or musketeers............................... :rotfl::rotfl::D I know which one will win, wanders off ..................................................
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills