My devil mother is seeking forgiveness before she dies!

Options

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Andrew Ryan 89, there really some really evil people around, my step mother was one of them, and I actually high-fived my daughter when I heard she had died because I hoped it meant I could mend the relationship with my father that she had destroyed.

Don't judge until you have experienced what that person is experiencing.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Andrew_Ryan_89 Posts: 530 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2016 at 12:49PM
    Options
    Apologies, posted deleted.

I actually see where you are coming from OP. Drinking the Vodka though, is that something you usually do to celebrate? Or was it drowning your sorrows in a way?

You don't have to forgive but part of me feels that if you don't acknowledge her, the hurt will eat you up more than at least acknowledging her.

I was bullied severely when I was younger (different situation I know). The main culprit, up until recently, I thought about him almost every day and wishing I could gouge his eyes out and put him in a wheelchair. I saw him recently and it was obvious that I was in a much better position than he was in life. He brought up the way he treated and there was no way I could forgive him. I just said Okay. The hate was still there but the rage was gone.

I'll say see her. Let her apologies, you don't have to accept it. Just see her, don't even have to say anything.

I only suggest that because your OP suggest you are not at peace nor will be once she is dead.
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I disagree, forgiveness is as good for you as it is for the person who needs forgiving. I doubt that you can move on without it.

I don't understand this opinion. Can you explain why?
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • AylesburyDuck
    AylesburyDuck Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2016 at 1:35PM
    Options
    If it were me hypothetically speaking,
    The creature that was called by mother had made her bed and layed in it, now the end is near she cannot tidy said bed up before she dies, it was made the way she made it, and is now not down to others to make her feel better about it.

Your thinking isnt immoral, its human, probably to act on it would, so no, dont make things worse, but dont ease them either.

Either ignore the letter, or maybe return it with a simple one word reply.

NO!
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't understand this opinion. Can you explain why?

Sorry, I don't have time to write a proper reply but this pretty well says what I feel.

"Psychologists generally define forgiveness as a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness.
    Just as important as defining what forgiveness is, though, is understanding what forgiveness is not. Experts who study or teach forgiveness make clear that when you forgive, you do not gloss over or deny the seriousness of an offense against you. Forgiveness does not mean forgetting, nor does it mean condoning or excusing offenses. Though forgiveness can help repair a damaged relationship, it doesn’t obligate you to reconcile with the person who harmed you, or release them from legal accountability.
    Instead, forgiveness brings the forgiver peace of mind and frees him or her from corrosive anger.
    While there is some debate over whether true forgiveness requires positive feelings toward the offender, experts agree that it at least involves letting go of deeply held negative feelings. In that way, it empowers you to recognize the pain you suffered without letting that pain define you, enabling you to heal and move on with your life."
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Enid_H wrote: »
    I want her to die knowing I hate her.

I think she already knows that.

Don't respond. Throw or keep the letter, that's up to you. And go and dance on her grave once she's gone.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Don't forgive. Just tear the letter up and move on. Some rifts cannot be healed.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Someone gave her your address, so that person has come to terms with her past. Maybe you should speak to them about how they moved on? Not so that you can see her or forgive her, but just so that you can get rid of the rage and anger.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,685 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You only have three options really.

Tear up the letter and ignore it.
    See the devil mother, confront her with how much she damaged you in your childhood and tell her you will never forgive her and do in fact hate her
    Speak to her, acknowledge her apology and move on

Only you know how easy or beneficial it will be to you to do any of these options but I would say if you are having to down a half bottle of vodka to deal with this then you are still very damaged and may not be able to move on without doing one of the last two options above. Burying it again will not help your health. Inward anger and bitterness hurts the victim as much as the perpetrator so I don't think the second option will be useful as you may end up regretting this and there is no way back if she is dying. Think very hard when you are not under the influence.

Whatever you decide I hope you gain some peace in the end.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ignore her or send it back with a brief note telling her you do not want to meet and she is not forgiven. I don't get the forgiving will make you feel better stance either. I am sure she well deserves all the hate.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills