My devil mother is seeking forgiveness before she dies!

Options

Comments

• kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to be happy: Forgive, forget and move on THATS LIFE
    What happens if you push this button?
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    you can choose your own peace of mind over hers

This is a valid viewpoint but from the opening post, it didn't seem as though there is any peace of mind nor much happiness. Is knocking back half a bottle of spirits truly a celebration?

Whatever the OP decides to do, it is a very sad situation for everyone concerned including those of us who have had painful memories revived. Oh, when I think of the misery human selfishness creates...
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's not much support for abused children who make it to adulthood, the OP probably does need therapy but NHS waiting lists for talking therapies are long, as long as 18 months in some areas and cut to 4-6 sessions per person to try clear the queue so not long enough to really help.

Private therapy costs money, some charities (anxiety UK are one) will subsidise the cost of therapies but only certain therapies are available in some areas. Telephone counselling is available and worthwhile if you can afford what they expect you to afford.

So peace of mind for someone with no support, no therapy who has shoved the whole thing in a mental prison cell might well be just reassurance that no one will come along and force them to open the door and let it all spill out again.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Would it not be good to make contact with her, if only to know that you did and not wonder what would have happened if you had?

And, it is true that to hate someone you have to love them first.

Speaking as a woman who would do anything to see her mother having lost her 35 years ago.

And just one thought. Your mum obviously had an "addictive personality". Please, please, do not let yourself go down the same path. Half a bottle of vodka is not good.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Listening to your mother is not necessarily the same as forgiving her. Why don't you meet up and see what she has to say? It may be healing for you.

Forgiving her is not the same as being best buddies. It may be as simple as accepting that the past cannot be any different for you. (To sort of quote Oprah Winfrey).
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,115 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A friend had a similar dilemma, she wrote back that she had moved on with her life and no longer held grudges but she didn't wish to have any contact.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I don't think confrontation is a good idea. You may not get the reaction you want/need.

I would just ignore the letter. That will send a message loud & clear to your mother by itself.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 July 2016 at 10:44AM
    Options
    Forgiving her does not mean saying that she has done nothing wrong. If she had done no wrong there would be nothing to forgive.

It also does not mean that her actions have not caused you pain and damage.

But in the end, it will be better for you if you could let all the hurt and anger go. This may be very hard for you to do .

I don't think it is right to go and see her just to tell her how much her actions affected her life. She knows that, otherwise she would not be asking for forgiveness.

If you feel you can't forgive her, then don't see her at all. Otherwise, be the better person, forgive her, let your hurt and pain go and get on with a life knowing you have done the better thing.

I would also consider some professional counselling for yourself.

I wish you well whatever you decide.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    I don't think confrontation is a good idea. You may not get the reaction you want/need.

I would just ignore the letter. That will send a message loud & clear to your mother by itself.

This.

Either ignore the letter and she will wonder if you ever even got it or send it back with or without a note to say you won't meet.

But there is a good chance if you do meet then you won't get the reaction you want, whatever that may be

I also think it's selfish of your mother to send you a letter now after all this time requesting a visit, she has had years to ask forgiveness but only now she is dying (possibly ) does it matter .

I found out last year my mother died a few years ago and I got a feeling of relief that at last I could walk around with no chance of bumping into her. Ever.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I would ignore the letter or send it back as others have said. Having a confrontation will only be more painful in the long run imo.

I can relate to what you're going through, I haven't seen or spoken to my birth giver since I was a teenager because of the truly terrible things she's done. I used to really hate her but now I feel nothing for her, holding onto all the hate is not good for you and letting it go really doesn't mean forgiveness. I know it's easier said than done though.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family