PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS menopause memories?

Options

Comments

• dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm having my first case of spotting mid cycle here, and I'm wondering how many days it lasts? It's not heavy, more like the last day of a period (thick brown blood)
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dandy-candy, I've only had that once and it only lasted a day. However, I'm taking the approach of 'who knows what's going to happen and when' now as my cycle becomes more and more erratic and unpredictable. I'm just going with the rollercoaster now and reminding myself it won't last for ever!
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 September 2016 at 4:24PM
    Options
    Authority Nutrition. (a web site I read)

Relieving Menopause Symptoms

Alfalfa Sprouts

Alfalfa is high in plant compounds called phytoestrogens, which are chemically similar to the hormone estrogen.

This means that they can cause some of the same effects in the body as estrogen.

Phytoestrogens are controversial, but they may have several benefits, including easing menopausal symptoms that are caused by decreased levels of estrogen.

The effects of alfalfa on menopausal symptoms have not been extensively researched, but one study found that sage and alfalfa extracts were able to completely resolve night sweats and hot flashes in 20 women (10).

The estrogenic effects may also have other benefits. A study of breast cancer survivors found that women who ate alfalfa had fewer sleep problems (11).

I thought this was interesting.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • dandy-candy
    Options
    Thanks Mila, I'm going to look at various eating plans that will help me lose a bit of weight and also hopefully be beneficial for symptoms.
    I'm completely lost as to where I am in my cycle. After spotting for 5 days happened 8/9 days from my last proper period, I haven't come on yet which is a week late if I go by my proper period due date. I'm so confused.

I've also ended a 20 year friendship with my former best friend. We have been close but about 18 months ago she started to change a be really self centred. She lost some other close friends along the way, but after a few nasty things in my direction I mentioned I thought I was perimonopause and because her periods had been unpredictable the last couple of months I said maybe she was starting it too. I got the lovely response "I'm not turning into a withered husk yet". That was the last straw for me, so I broke it off. Unsurprisingly she wasn't even that bothered.

Anyway I will just keep on with this strange journey! I've asked two gps for a hormone test and they both said no. I am having a gynaecologist referral so maybe they will do one. I hope everyone else is coping fine x
  • beecher2
    Options
    dandy candy, that's a shame about your friend, sounds like she's in denial a little bit!

I got the results of my ultrasound during the week and a lot of my problems seem to be done to the multiple fibroids I have. Paid £10 to get a copy of all my medical reports and was sad to see how low my FSH was - according to that I'm nowhere near menopause! Clutching onto the fact that hormones are so erratic that I might just have been tested on the wrong day, really can't handle the thought of many more years of this!

sounds like your friend is in denial dandycandy, I suppose we all go through different journeys but that's a shame. My dr told me that at my age a uterus was a 'pointless void' which I felt was a bit harsh. Some people say really strange things, dont' they?
  • dandy-candy
    Options
    Wow Beecher that's an appalling thing for your dr to say!

I hope you can get on an even keel soon, the ups and down I find very hard too.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2016 at 6:26AM
    Options
    A huge thank you from me too OP for starting this thread.
    I have been reading for the past couple of days, got to page 5 so far, and it really is a blessing to know that you aren't alone.
    For me, I ended up at my GP on Monday after a horrible couple of weeks when I honestly thought I was suffering from early onset dementia. And I'm not exaggerating!
    The final straw came when Dh rang me at the weekend. He was at home, with the builders, about to install a set of trifold doors and they couldn't find the instructions. I was definitely the last person to have them but could I remember what I had done with them??? No way. Total and utter blank. And I mean blank!
    They had to make do with pictures of them which thankfully, Dh had asked me to send him a couple of weeks before.
    Where did I find them? In the drawer with the potatoes and onions!!!!! WTH???
    So on Monday I was in the GP's surgery, in floods of tears begging for help. It was just the latest in a long line of memory issues along with one palpitation, vertigo, increased joint pains, one hot flush, sleepless nights and utter exhaustion.
    I have had a load of bloods done just in case, and will have an ECG next week, but just reading this thread, I'm 100% sure it's peri menopause even though my periods are still regular.
    So thank you ladies for being here, and assuring me (through your posts) that I am not losing my mind.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    I am joining this club - I am 52 and STILL having my periods. I would much rather have the hot sweats and not the periods any day. They are heavy for the first 3 days ( hence why I am on Tranamexic Tablets to reduce the flow). They sometimes come late up to 14 days but this has always been the case.
    I hate the feeling running up to starting a period as I feel awful with your stomach looking like you are pregnant and slight back ache. Being forgetful, lethargic but when my monthly is over I am back to being ME.
    I have had the joy of having 3 missed months this year and I felt wonderful not having them.
    I have had my moan now- Have a good day all.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• beecher2
    Options
    I've only missed 1 period so far :( Can't wait for them to start spacing out, like you it is the heavy days which are a nightmare. Live in fear of a disaster! Maybe I should think about Tanamexic - are there any downsides to taking it? I'm 49 and praying I've only got another couple of years to go.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask if anyone has tried using hospital pillows? im having real trouble with night sweats at the moment I find my pillows are saturated dispite changing both the case and the protector daily the pillow feels horrid to me, but unsure if a wipeable pillows would make things worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure