PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS menopause memories?

Options

Comments

• dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    The final straw came when Dh rang me at the weekend. He was at home, with the builders, about to install a set of trifold doors and they couldn't find the instructions. I was definitely the last person to have them but could I remember what I had done with them??? No way. Total and utter blank. And I mean blank!
    They had to make do with pictures of them which thankfully, Dh had asked me to send him a couple of weeks before.
    Where did I find them? In the drawer with the potatoes and onions!!!!! WTH???

Rosie this really made me laugh because I can completely relate to it! Thank you for brightening up my day :)
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is crazy, isn't it? Last week I had no idea how to log on to my computer at work, it was a total blank. The fact that the log in details are my name is a bit scary, lol. It doesn't happen to me as often now though. Finally reached the point of no longer having to shave my legs so that is a bonus. Hoping it is a sign that I'm getting nearer the end as TMI alert, I cant keep losing this amount of blood. That's the one thing I find unbearable in all this.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    My mother (86 now) went through it all with very little difficulty. I quote - 'I don't think we had hot flushes in my day'... And to be honest, things were OK for me too. Hot flushes and night sweats were a pain for a while - but nothing that couldn't be solved by taking off a layer or having the bedroom window open.

And now, at not-quite-56, I haven't had a hot flush for months.

The question we really need to be asking is - why do we never get a hot flush at 6 in the morning when we're downstairs making tea and the heating hasn't come on?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When people say "hot flush," what exactly do they mean? I get the feeling really hot and then really cold, but I always associate it with wanting to faint.

Is this what it feels like or do I have something else to look forward to? :o
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I had another 'moment' yesterday. Went to the chemist then couldn't find my car. I had parked in q different street than I normally park in but I couldn't for the life of me figure out where. Found it after five minutes, but it was a long five minutes at the time!

Beecher, can I ask what happened with your joint pains? Did they go away in the end? I, like you seem to, have had what seem like different joint injuries, one after the other for a few years now. All the time, something is hurting. It's been my right knee now for a good few months. Before that it was my left hip, left ankle, right shoulder, and a couple of years back it was a lot of my joints all at once. I'm wondering if I should just try to ignore the pain and go back to the gym as this latest one is just dragging on too long.

Also folks, wen back to the GP yesterday to get all of my blood results. Discovered then that they hadn't in fact done any hormone levels. Apparently in my town, they don't check hormone levels after the age of 45! Oh, and they don't offer any HRT either u less you are really, really desperate.
    There was something else really important that I wanted to add but I have gone totally blank so when I remember, I will pop back. :rotfl:
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • beecher2
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Rosie, what do your ferritin levels say? I have a theory that my joint pain comes back if my ferritin goes below 40 but it is (like all my theories) 100% non scientific. I had trigger point pain in my right shoulder and down my back while my neck was really painful. I'd recommend an osteopath or sports massage but you're probably right to try to go back to the gym if you can. My neck's still a bit of a problem but nowhere near what it was like. Edit: what about your vitamin D levels as my doctor thought that was a cause

I don't know if hormone levels tell you much anyway, mine were 100% normal which I refuse to believe. Just depends on when they test them really.

polyanna, I don't have bad hot flushes during the day, like you I just have times when I get very hot and then very cold. I also have times when my neck feels as if it is on fire. I do have nightsweats for about a week before a period, and I wake up between 1am and 2am with sweat pouring from my head, back of neck and chest. I never really sweat, even if the temperature is in the high 30s so this is a real shock for me! Other women have it much worse though and have to change bedding - I only have to change clothing and it only happens once a night. I do not want this to happen during the day!
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The question we really need to be asking is - why do we never get a hot flush at 6 in the morning when we're downstairs making tea and the heating hasn't come on?

HA!! Those are the only ones I get - I call it my power-up. Once I'm awake I get one (with bonus crawling fire ants up the shins sensation) - apart from that - I occasionally get one about 30mins after a cup of coffee.

Does anyone else get The Random Angry Red Chest of Doom with no accompanying flush at all? (aka Oooh you've caught the sun) - I hate it and dread that it's going to become perma-red (as I'm ghostly pale otherwise and it looks v. odd).
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh! How weird this all is!!

Beecher, apparently my ferritin levels are fine. Only thing was that my calcium levels were borderline low. And that is with me taking calcium and vitamin D regularly. I now have them beside the coffee jar in the cupboard along with the Menolieve and vitamin B complex so that I remember to take them. My mum and grandma and all of mum's siblings developed kyphosis (hump back) and I really don't want that!!
    When I have forgot to take the calcium for a while, my joint pains are definitely much worse.

I've remembered now what it was that the GP said. If things haven't improved in a few weeks, come back and she will give me some anti depressants!!!!! What????? No way! She keeps asking me if I'm down. Says my symptoms could be depression. I have tried to patiently explain that I may not be as happy and chilled as normal, but I think it is because I keep doing stupid things. And forgetting things and making mistakes. All adds to the stress of a day and makes me dread what idiotic thing I will do next.
    I was in tears at the bus stop yesterday. Really needed to be somewhere. Was standing waiting for the bus in the town centre. When it finally arrived, some people got off, the bus driver was fiddling around with stuff and I thought that, as usual, he would stop for a few minutes as it was the final/first stop on the route. But no. He shut the doors and drove off without me! I was gobsmacked at my stupidity and stood there with tears pouring down my face feeling like a right plum.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    He shut the doors and drove off without me! I was gobsmacked at my stupidity and stood there with tears pouring down my face feeling like a right plum.

What a !!!!!!.
    You might be crying rosie383 but they are tears of frustration love.
    Report it next time.

Everyone gets muddlehead from time to time and I think we blame a lot of this stuff on meno.
    I get through life with a notebook full of lists + a cheapy diary - often I don't need to write stuff down but it helps me feel less anxious. Bonus - if you think you've forgotten to do something you can check back whether you did it or not.

I make notes of lots of things - I don't care if folks take the mickey - I am smug in the knowledge that a) I know when insurance is due and b) know what it cost us last year lol You can probably get an app for that now.:rotfl:
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • beecher2
    Options
    What a shame rosie. It is awful when you feel your brain isn't doing what you want it to, though to be honest I've had similar happen to me before peri hit! Hope you're having a better day and remember, it won't last for ever.Sorry to keep going on about ferritin, but the level doctors are happy with its shockingly low.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure