PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS menopause memories?

Options

Comments

• Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2016 at 5:17PM
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    It isn't a given that the menopause is a slew of unpleasant symptoms. We're all unique and will have different menopauses. Some women barely notice it's happening.

Exactly.
    No shame in taking HRT - no prizes for doing meno without.
    I'm a hot-flusher/foggy-thinker but not a special snowflake - I'm hoping talking about meno makes it less 'medicalised'.

Cooling breezes to those who need them :T and xxxxxxx

Oh - and there is a Meno Forum that might be of use to someone
    http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Can I ask if anyone has tried using hospital pillows? im having real trouble with night sweats at the moment I find my pillows are saturated dispite changing both the case and the protector daily the pillow feels horrid to me, but unsure if a wipeable pillows would make things worse.

The plastic covering would certainly make your pillow easier to keep clean, but you would definitely be sweating more I'm pretty sure. I'd try to get a cover online (that's all it Is really, rather than a special type pf pillow). Hope it helps. Let us know if it does. TBH, it's not very money saving but I would prefer to buy a pack of cheap pillows for a few quid and recycle them after a month or so. I can easily spend a few quid a week on junk to eat, so a couple of quid per month, per pillow would do me rightly.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    beecher2 wrote: »
    I've only missed 1 period so far :( Can't wait for them to start spacing out, like you it is the heavy days which are a nightmare. Live in fear of a disaster! Maybe I should think about Tanamexic - are there any downsides to taking it? I'm 49 and praying I've only got another couple of years to go.

I have had the disasters that why I am on tranamexic, I have been taking them since I was 46 and they help me through my heavy few days of my period, I also take paracetamol too. As they work on me that is why the hospital would not carry out an ablation procedure on me.
    I am a member of that menopause forum and it is worth joining - there is lots of good advice on there.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy at 37, n they removed one ovary, n said the other one would work till normal menopause age.To cut a long story short I soon felt like I was losing my mind, as well as pouring with sweat even in the freezing cold.I was driving to work one day n there was a really steep hill.I panicked, n had to pull over, as I was convinced my car wouldn't make it up the hill, without rolling back down.I sat in the car and cried for an hour, then drove straight to my drs and finally managed to get the HRT i'd needed right away post op .
    The feeling of losing my mind was the worst thing ever :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • rosie383
    Options
    That's been the thing for me which made me go and ask for help. I don't have the best memory anyway, and could be more organised in life, but I felt as if I really was losing my mind.
    Standing in the kitchen holding an onion and not having a clue what I was supposed to be doing with it. And not remembering where I put anything at all.
    I'm sure all of the physical things will come along in varying degrees but I feel so much better already knowing that I am not just going slowly crazy.
    I'm also utterly exhausted too. Way more than I should be. Is that a thing too? Partly it's because I'm not sleeping properly but some days I feel (almost) as I did when I was breastfeeding babies and was desperate for even a wee bit extra sleep. Okay, reading that back, I don't think it's possible to be that exhausted again. But I could happily lie down on a hard floor in a crow if people and try to nap. But then the joint pains wouldn't let me! Joy of joys.
    Sorry. Moan over. It's just been all building up.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    That's been the thing for me which made me go and ask for help. I don't have the best memory anyway, and could be more organised in life, but I felt as if I really was losing my mind.
    Standing in the kitchen holding an onion and not having a clue what I was supposed to be doing with it. And not remembering where I put anything at all.
    I'm sure all of the physical things will come along in varying degrees but I feel so much better already knowing that I am not just going slowly crazy.
    I'm also utterly exhausted too. Way more than I should be. Is that a thing too? Partly it's because I'm not sleeping properly but some days I feel (almost) as I did when I was breastfeeding babies and was desperate for even a wee bit extra sleep. Okay, reading that back, I don't think it's possible to be that exhausted again. But I could happily lie down on a hard floor in a crow if people and try to nap. But then the joint pains wouldn't let me! Joy of joys.
    Sorry. Moan over. It's just been all building up.
    This link is from the NHS website but just type in menopause symptoms and you will see there are a long list of symptoms we have to endure while going through this process. The fatigue bit and my periods not starting on time are my worst problem, I have bouts of not being able to sleep. If you are really tired then ask your GP for a blood test to check that you are not anaemic.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Menopause/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Rosie, I had awful muscle and joint pain about 3 years ago, that's really how it all started with me. Tried physio, sports massages and osteopath. Osteopath was the best, or maybe my hormones shifted - who knows. Also had that crashing fatigue and brain fog. Tried agnus castus but again could be that my hormones shifted again as now it's more anxiety and fairly irrational thoughts I suffer from. . I seem to be going through every one of the symptoms one by one!

I would ask what your ferritin results are. Doctors are happy with 15 but it should really be a good bit higher. I wasn't given iron tablets until mine reached 10 and it is now at 40 something and I suppose this could be the reason that my joint pain and tiredness has gone. It's all so hard to know what's going on. Just keep telling myself it won't last forever :)
  • Tipsntreats
    Tipsntreats Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just reading through a few posts. Pillows - The chiller pillow is great.
    Strange as I never had one night sweat in Tenerife, the night temp was 25. Returning home they have come back.
    Tips x
  • rosie383
    Options
    That's strange about your night sweats. I had such a poor night's sleep again last night but for no discernible reason. It's weird.
    My lovely sister sent me a wee parcel yesterday with black kohosh, vit B complex and a very posh bottle of shower gel. I started on the supplements yesterday so will see if they help while I'm waiting for the blood results.

Spoke to a friend yesterday on the school run. She was looking a bit harried so I asked if she was okay. Lo and behold she is suffering in exactly the same way! Well, the feeling like she is losing it, hubby thinks she is nuts and just doesn't care etc etc. If you saw the look of relief on her face when I was able to tell her she isn't alone.
    Her mum had told her about hot flushes but that's it.

We need to get the message out there ladies that there is so much more to peri menopause than hot flushes. Btw, I keep reading about hot 'flashes'. Is that just an Americanism? Or have I been saying it wrong myself?
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ladies, how is everyone coping?

I have been sweating like a beast (sorry if tmi) though only during the day, but the Brain fog is so embarrassing! I took our rabbit to the vet to have his teeth trimmed and I mentioned I'd had a text saying he was due his booster injection. The vet checked the computer and said it could wait until next time if I wanted or he could do it now, it was up to me; so I said to do it next time. We then chatted while he weighed and checked bunny, before he said "I'll just take him out back and do his teeth" at which I piped up and said "what about his injection?" Cue awkward look from vet ...:rotfl:

Add to that that I just drove up the motorway at 70 thinking my car was a bit sluggish, only to realise I still had the hand brake on.... yes I'm going to stay at home for a few days now

Please do keep posting any things you have discovered that help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure