PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS menopause memories?

Options

Comments

• beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you've had a better week this week rosie. It's a bit of a cliche and easier said than done but you do sound as if you need some more time for yourself. Not having time for breakfast for yourself isn't great, especially as I'm sure you had time to make sure your kids had breakfast.

I realised I've gone 4 months without having to go home from work early feeling ill so I'm taking that as a real positive sign. I also now really don't care if I forget a word - in the beginning I was pretty tough on myself. Last week I went to the same restaurant 2 days running and I was 100% sure they'd changed where the door was overnight - I quite often have that disorientated feeling but that's probably just down to me being daft and not hormones.

Hope everyone is keeping well :)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Beecher. Sounds like you're having a wee run of calmer weather!

I've had an up and down week. A couple of days when I haven't felt too bad and that has helped. Then a day when things aren't so good. The good days definitely help the bad ones not seem quite so awful.

I got myself a wee diary and am trying to do a bit less. A friend asked me to help with some academic work that would tax me at the best of times. Normally I would say yes and try my best to do it, but this time I just said I wasn't in the best of health and couldn't do it. The relief after I said no was great!

I'm trying to be much more organised, and giving myself a break rather than stressing over things I can't help. Was proud that I managed through sheer will, to hold it together yesterday when I nipped into the bank to deposit some money. The machine decided to freeze mid-transaction and ate my card! Took half an hour of time that I didn't have, to get it back. I got out without screaming at anyone or bursting into tears!

I've also been making myself stop and eat regularly (even though I swing between junk and veg with not much in between!) and that definitely helps.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found my keys!!!!!!! (lost on 10/08) They were in the bottom of the bits and bobs bowl.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • rosie383
    Options
    Hi guys. Just checking in with a quick question if you don't mind.

I have been struggling with joint pains for a while now and have discovered through another forum somewhere that these can also be a symptom of perimenopause. Makes a lot of sense.
    For any of you who have had this type of pain (can be excruciating at times, but mainly is just an inflammatory type thing that seems to come on for no reason and lingers for a long time), do you get treatment for it? Try to ignore it and keep going to the gym if at all possible? Take pain killers? Bother going to the Doc?
    The other evening I had been ironing for about an hour and just turned some way and pain shot down through my hip. I was hobbling for the next few days. It has settled down now but still hurts I also have a tender elbow for no reason (about two months now), a painful knee which has been quite sore and swollen for about 6 months.
    I'm normally really fit but because of the pain, I go to the gym about once or twice a week now instead of almost every day as I just can't cope with it.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • beecher2
    Options
    Hi rosie

I had hip pain and then shoulder/neck pain for a good 2 or 3 years at the beginning of perimenopause. I spent a fortune on physio and osteopathy and things are much better than they were. Could be that's just down to me being in the next stage of perimenopause though. I had lots of trigger points which would be released and then just tighten up again.

Would suggest getting vitamin d, iron and thyroid tested. I've been taking vitamind d for a year now, no idea if it has made a difference though. Good luck, so hard to work out what's going on and what helps when hormones are imbalanced, and that imbalance changes by the hour!
  • rosie383
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I have been taking calcium and vitamin D for a wee while now along with cod lover oil.
    Had bloods done a few months ago when I went to my gp in a bit of a mess, not knowing what was going on. I think I will ask them for a copy of them to look and see the actual levels for myself.

It is so hard to know what to do though. We have BUPA cover through my dh's work. The knee has been long term so probably would be worth checking out but a few days ago my hip was so intense but has now settled down. By the time I go and see someone it could be something else and I could pay a fortune on treatment. I do look like an old woman when I first stand up to walk.
  • rosie383
    Options
    I know about the health benefits to cutting down sugar but I'm talking specifically in relation to peri menopause here.
    I had a bit of a light bulb moment yesterday after a couple of particularly bad days. I have been craving a ridiculous amount of sugar lately. Unfortunately I have been giving into those cravings in a crazy way. As an example, I bought myself a bag of sweets in a pound shop yesterday (big bag about 300g). I ate the lot.

Did I feel bad afterwards? You bet I did. Not in a guilty way, (as someone who has struggled with weight for years, that usually happens) but I felt awful. Really awful. I didn't want to eat proper food, and have been stuck in this cycle lately of eating junk, and not eating proper meals.
    Because of the joint pains I physically can't manage the regular gym classes as much as I would like to so that doesn't help either.

My LBM was when I suddenly realised yesterday that it probably would help my menopause symptoms a lot if I cut out all the carp.

Have any of you done this? Did it help? I have never been the kind of person who will be happy to completely cut out all forms of sugar and fat and whatever else, and survive on water and a handful of nuts. I'm exaggerating here, but I really would rather live in denial than be so drastic. I do need some support with this though.
  • beecher2
    Options
    I gave up sugar in January and am going to do the same this month. I know I quite often feel awful when I eat it, but I do wonder if this is down to hormonal imbalances making me crave it, and wonder if I'd feel awful anyway?

I think a lot of women do find eating less rubbish helps, I used to be able to eat anything and now find I quite often have stomach pain after eating.

Good luck, we can have a 'don't eat any rubbish in March' support group if you want :)
  • rosie383
    Options
    Thanks Beecher. Not sure I can completely go cold turkey and cut out all rubbish!
    I have eaten properly today so far and cooked proper dinner for the kids so that will help. Rather than doss about feeling all lethargic and weary, I decided to clean. Didn't get all done that I wanted but did do a few jobs which I had been putting off so that felt good.

I even had decaf coffee instead of normal today as apparently the caffeine isn't too good. Working this evening though so will need coffee to get through that!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive cut all ADDED sugar. I don't add sugar to food or take it

I've also stopped all coffee

I'm now stopping all diet pop as well.

I did take a few flushes when I stopped the pop but now I'm back to normal ( two weeks cold turkey)

All my meals are scratch cooked. Boring as hell but it works. If I get take out I feel rough as a badgers rear end :)

It's the hot flushes for me that are the hardest thing to deal with. I get aches and pains but the cleaner my diet, the less they are
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure