Must stop spending

Options

Comments

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    We lucked out really - 2 sales had fallen through when they couldn't get a mortgage so it worked quite well for us as we had lots of negotiating room!

We liked the amtico but thought we would probably want to change after living there for a while so went for bog standard lino and it's actually really good quality so no regrets there!

It is easy to think like that. The thing that stopped me going overboard on extras was knowing they couldn't form part of the mortgage, and we definitely didn't have thousands lying round so we had to be frugal with our extras - the only thing we had was an outside tap!

Have you gone for anything like outside lighting etc?
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Yeh we got an outside tap too. For free! Lol. We have already spend £7k on extras... we are having a fitted kitchen with integrated applicances which was just under £3k but I also upgraded to granite work tops. Added extras like TV points and sockets and an outdoor light and socket in back garden. They wanted £130 for spotlights. That's per spot light! Er no!!
    We actually have about £25k to 'play with'. We left money aside to cover stamp duty which is £8k!! :( fees and extras. So we have to funds splash out but I still need to be sensible. We couldn't add any on to our mortgage coz we are already at the top end. We have put down more than a 5% deposit though and borrowed less than the 20% government loan. It's only a 3 bed house but there is no way I will be moving any time soon!
    What type of flooring have you got? X
    May 2015: £11685.56 / November 2017: £2076
    Credit card: £302
    Paid back : £700 / £2476
  • I've got £272 to last me until pay day...
    I need to put £80 on my Oyster to cover my travel to work until I get paid.
    I'm going out for lunch on Sunday which will probably cost £20.
    I'm getting my eyebrows done on Saturday which costs £20 but I only get them done about 3x a year.
    I owe £210 on my spending cc by mid March. - I bought tickets to a concert in the summer and 2 tops but I had a voucher for the store... (I always clear this card each month so I don't pay interest).

Other than that I don't have any more social plans coming up. We just want to concentrate on our flat now and getting it packed up.

We are in-between staying at our flat and my parents so trying to keep food shopping costs low. We have £50 left in our joint acc to cover food until pay day.

I cancelled our sky and TV licence. sky will cost me about £80 to exit the contract but today we got a refund for our TV licence of £72 so that helps.
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Yeh we got an outside tap too. For free! Lol. We have already spend £7k on extras... we are having a fitted kitchen with integrated applicances which was just under £3k but I also upgraded to granite work tops. Added extras like TV points and sockets and an outdoor light and socket in back garden. They wanted £130 for spotlights. That's per spot light! Er no!!
    We actually have about £25k to 'play with'. We left money aside to cover stamp duty which is £8k!! :( fees and extras. So we have to funds splash out but I still need to be sensible. We couldn't add any on to our mortgage coz we are already at the top end. We have put down more than a 5% deposit though and borrowed less than the 20% government loan. It's only a 3 bed house but there is no way I will be moving any time soon!
    What type of flooring have you got? X

Well done on the free tap - it's so much more appreciated when it's free, or is that just me?! :rotfl:

We have ceramic flooring throughout the ground floor (except lounge), lino in the bathroom/en suites and carpet to the rest of the house. The only thing I would change if I could was the carpet. It looked fine in the showhome but I wish we'd paid to upgrade so I'd have been happier with it in the long run - it's quite poor quality and looks old and worn already :(
    Ouch on the stamp duty - we got ours covered but it was only £2k, I was dreading it but 8K would devastate me!

It will soon be May and you'll be almost there, it will be worth every second of stressing and worry, I promise! Are you able to get near the site to see the build progressing?
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
  • There are people living on the site already but my house is so far back I can't see it :(

Ha yeh I was excited about the outdoor tap but that's all we got! Yeh £8k stamp duty is a killer! Oh no that's a shame about the carpet... I'm worried now. Do you know what type of carpet you have? We had two options and went for the better quality of the two. Also more expensive!
  • Just updated my signature :) realised my debt was showing as £4900 but it's £4680! Can't wait to get below £4000!!!
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    There are people living on the site already but my house is so far back I can't see it :(

Ha yeh I was excited about the outdoor tap but that's all we got! Yeh £8k stamp duty is a killer! Oh no that's a shame about the carpet... I'm worried now. Do you know what type of carpet you have? We had two options and went for the better quality of the two. Also more expensive!

We went for the absolute basic as that's what was thrown in for free, but I really wish we had upgraded to the next one up. I think there was a choice of 4 when we chose and I'd only have moved up to the next one, so if you've gone for top of range I definitely wouldn't worry :)
  • Free carpet! That's awesome! We literally just got the tap! Ha!
    If I was getting it for free I probably would have just picked the basic too but because I'm already spending so much on it all I just think whats a couple more £100 when I'm spending thousands... not very MSE :(
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Thing is, the upgrade would have only been £900 extra (only! :eek:) as opposed to needing the whole house recarpeting which is what will have to happen at some point. Not anytime particularly soon, but it's still in the back of my mind!
    Next door went for the upgrade and everytime we go round I have severe carpet envy. Although they went for lino in the kitchen and envy our ceramic tiles, so there's always something I think :o
  • It's Friday tomorrow :)

Looking forward to the weekend. Saturday we are going to spend finishing packing the flat and Sunday we are going for a pub lunch with friends.
    We need to buy some more boxes and bubble wrap which won't be cheap but needed.

Really wishing for pay day so I can make more debt payments! 10 more days...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills