Must stop spending

Options

Comments

• Oh wow my estimates were well off! Ha! That's good though. Not sure where I got that figure from. It's not even a big house but it is flooring for every room and we do want Amtico downstairs...

Maybe I was counting other extras with that cost like fitted wardrobes.

Thanks guys! I'm losing the plot! Ha
    May 2015: £11685.56 / November 2017: £2076
    Credit card: £302
    Paid back : £700 / £2476
  • Or maybe I just get ripped off with London prices :(
  • jenberry
    jenberry Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Little Miss!

First of all...WOW! You're doing amazingly well. The dent you've made in your debt now is more like a black hole! Keep at it! I'm fairly new to the forums and have been browsing through your story, so inspiring. I was in a fair amount of debt a couple of years ago with credit cards and a pretty severe spending habit. Each month, my wages were burning a hole in my pocket and about 3 days after payday, they had somehow disappeared. Now, things are quite different. I moved jobs and area, paid off my debt and am only now, at the age of 32, really trying to save. I realised around October last year that I had wardrobes full of clothes, shelves full of books and was having to pick up another parcel every day. Of course, none of it made me happy: I was always chasing after the next purchase.

Now, I'm steadily putting away a % of my earnings and becoming quite tight with money. (I was always that person who would spot a nice gift for a friend and buy it, but I realised that no one has ever done the same for me). Now, I live within a budget, haven't bought any new clothes since October, don't buy toiletries until my current ones have run out and tend to buy food in Aldi and Lidl. I have cleared my house of everything I never used or wore and life is simpler, I have more time and more money.

I know it's hard at times but you're doing absolutely the right thing for your finances (and mental health. Debt is definitely not good for that). I think when it comes to spending, we are programmed to just think '£1 won't hurt' but it soon adds up to thousands. Be strict with yourself, you'll definitely be grateful for it when you're debt free (which won't be long!)

Jen xx
  • Wow Jen that's amazing well done. I can really relate to what you've said. Especially the part about presents for friends and them not doing the same and about chasing after purchases but that it doesn't make you happy. Horrible isn't it.
    I love the idea of a simpler life.
    Now that we are moving I have found loads of things I don't need and don't want to be in this position again.
    Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement :) x
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there LMSTM

I've just read your diary from start to finish and it has been very interesting and I got very excited seeing your debt decrease, it made me look forward to my own coming down.

I hope everything goes well for you this year. x
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Ah thank you so much Florence :)

Good luck with your journey x
  • It's the weekend! :j

I literally wish my life away waiting for the weekend.
    My parents get back from holiday tomorrow. We have been staying at theirs looking after the dogs so tonight will be spent tidying.
    Tomorrow we are going to our new home to look at carpets and flooring and then on Sunday we are meeting friends for dinner. Not sure where yet so I'm hoping somewhere cheap!

No new updates on my flat sale. Haven't heard from my solicitor since I emailed back with the answers to the enquiries. Fingers crossed it's all going ok. I have no idea how long this stuff is supposed to take but my flat is all boxed up now and I'm mentally ready to let it go and move out.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend :)
  • Soooo we went and chose our flooring options on Saturday...

Tiles in hall, WC and kitchen.
    Amtico in living room.
    Carpet on stairs, landing and 3 bedrooms.
    Lino in ensuite and main bathroom.
    3 fitted wardrobes.

The total came to just over £7k! :eek:

Prices must be higher coz I'm London. I've asked my friends and they have all paid similar prices for flooring :(
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    :eek: ouch to those prices. I'm even more grateful that we got flooring thrown in now!

On the upside at least you got fitted wardrobes for the lower end of your original flooring estimate :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Ha yes this is true! Although I do think my original guesstimate had included wardrobes and they are only in one room. We will worry about the other rooms at a later date!
    We are already starting to doubt the lino and want amtico in the bathrooms.
    You're so lucky you got the flooring thrown in! Jealous!
    You guys would think I'm crazy if you knew how big my new mortgage is going to be. I just keep thinking I'm spending £100,000's what's another grand?! Eep not how I should be thinking!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills