Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4.2K replies 792.6K views

Replies

• Olliepop.

You have to cancel to get the 50% offer and you may also get £50 off as well. You may also have to wait till the 30 days notice ends but it may well pop up on the SKY service app as soon as you have cancelled.

I have cancelled and am not even accepting 50% discount as I am greedy and want an offer of 60% off to match last year. In the meantime I am using now tv via the app on my LG smart TV. Its 6.99 a month for the entertainment pass which you can get even cheaper from various places like ebay, check it out. This is a streaming service from errrrrr SKY and although its only in 720P there is very little difference between that and the 1080i you get from the SKY satelite service. There is no actual contract so you can get rid any time you want. Additionally you can get SKY cinema, SKY sports passes as well quite cheaply if these services are important to you.
  • davidscotdavidscot Forumite
    584 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Regards getting a discount is it better to phone or use live chat to haggle the best deal? Been a customer but left Sky a couple of months ago and was thinking of going back but just wondered who was best to use to get the best deal
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Olliepop wrote: »
    With sky and contract is up for renewal but suffice it to say deals offering to keep us after 14 years is sadly lacking.......Have called numerous tI'm es over different time periods and still same.

What would you guys recommend have threatened to cancel and still same. Real disappointed, if we're to cancel how long would I have to wait to rejoin as a new customer. :hello:

Have you actually said you have decided cancel the contract at the end of the renewel period? I cancelled and contacted them later for offers and they gave me better offers.

Don't threaten, do it. You have some time before your contract finishes anyway.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie/ Bowelhead99 RIP
  • lydriverlydriver Forumite
    264 Posts
    I cancelled last weekend, instantly got 35% for 12 months offered on MySky, got a call through the week offering 35% off for 12 months but no contract....surely they can do better than that!
  • edited 25 July 2016 at 10:08AM
    csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2016 at 10:08AM
    lydriver wrote: »
    I cancelled last weekend, instantly got 35% for 12 months offered on MySky, got a call through the week offering 35% off for 12 months but no contract....surely they can do better than that!

They can but need to wait for a few days or a week or so. I got 50% off TV and free broadband (not fibre) and line rental , keep persisting
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

• I was disconnected on Tuesday morning, then got the following offers via live chat that afternoon:

1st offer: 50% for 10 months, with 12 months contract
    2nd offer: 50% for 12 months, 12 months contract
    3rd offer: 50% for 12 months, rolling contract
    4th offer: 3rd offer + £50 account credit

I turned it down because I've got a multiroom, and the discount wouldn't be applied to it

I'll hold out for a bit longer, as I won't really want Sky until the start of the football season, and in any case my team won't be on until September
  • Also, logging in to My Sky (web, not app) offers me 50% on 12 month contract (i.e. offer 2 above)
  • youravinalarrrfyouravinalarrrf Forumite
    351 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    This year it took 5 separate offers before I finally accepted their 5th offer yesterday. It's only for Variety with Sports with no added complications like HD or Multiroom so ended up with £59.50 coming down to £29.75.

1st Offer 25% off for 5years with only 12 months commitment made when cancelling via Live Chat on 4th July.
    2nd Offer 35% off for 12 months on a 12 month contract available in My Sky immediately after cancelling on 4th July.
    3rd Offer Exactly same as 2nd Offer but came via email on 15th July (I suppose some bright spark at Sky finally realised that it probably might be a really good idea to actually inform me that the offer even existed).
    4th Offer 50% off for 10 months plus £50 credit on my account on a rolling 31day contract made via Live Chat on 15th July.
    5th Offer 50% off for 12 months plus £50 credit on my account on a rolling 31day contract made via Live Chat on 26th July.

Inbetween those dates I was also plagued by numerous silent phone calls on my mobile which turned out to be from their Winback Team based in Derby and that's despite having my marketing preferences set correctly to stop this happening.

After all that messing about I told them what they needed to offer to keep me as a customer and amazingly they immediately offered it and without hesitation or argument this time.

Why they play this silly game each year and continually risk losing long standing customers by annoying them is beyond me. They don't seem to understand that what they offer is grossly overpriced. :mad:
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This year it took 5 separate offers before I finally accepted their 5th offer yesterday. It's only for Variety with Sports with no added complications like HD or Multiroom so ended up with £59.50 coming down to £29.75.

1st Offer 25% off for 5years with only 12 months commitment made when cancelling via Live Chat on 4th July.
    2nd Offer 35% off for 12 months on a 12 month contract available in My Sky immediately after cancelling on 4th July.
    3rd Offer Exactly same as 2nd Offer but came via email on 15th July (I suppose some bright spark at Sky finally realised that it probably might be a really good idea to actually inform me that the offer even existed).
    4th Offer 50% off for 10 months plus £50 credit on my account on a rolling 31day contract made via Live Chat on 15th July.
    5th Offer 50% off for 12 months plus £50 credit on my account on a rolling 31day contract made via Live Chat on 26th July.

Inbetween those dates I was also plagued by numerous silent phone calls on my mobile which turned out to be from their Winback Team based in Derby and that's despite having my marketing preferences set correctly to stop this happening.

After all that messing about I told them what they needed to offer to keep me as a customer and amazingly they immediately offered it and without hesitation or argument this time.

Why they play this silly game each year and continually risk losing long standing customers by annoying them is beyond me. They don't seem to understand that what they offer is grossly overpriced. :mad:

Maybe they get commission for keeping you. The automated offers people don't get commission for.

• Ive give my 30 days notice and been offered nothing, other than £125 prepaid card for introducing a friend! My sky (sports, movies, boxset, multiroom, broadband and phone) going from £38 to £112. Needless to say i wont be renewing my contact at the lack of offers from Sky lol
    If ive helped in any way please feel free to hit the "thanks" button!
    It only takes a second and means so much ;) :beer: