Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• ccdorset
    Options
    I cancelled about 2 weeks ago and wasn't offered anything. I just went onto Live Chat and was initially offered 30% off. They then offered 50% off with a £25 credit and no contract. I have said that I will think about it, but am still tempted just to go for a Freeview Play box instead.
  • spreadtrader
    Options
    50%off on an 18 month rolling contract with £25 credit is what they offered me quite a few times in my cancellation period.
    Now looking at alternatives and free sat seems to be the way to go after 15 years sky. Also you can get a now TVs entertainment and cinema pass for 12 months for £99 at the minute which would save me £30 a month and I was on 60%offf
    Once I purchase the box at about £165 there will be no going back
    [
  • ccdorset
    Options
    50%off on an 18 month rolling contract with £25 credit is what they offered me quite a few times in my cancellation period.
    Now looking at alternatives and free sat seems to be the way to go after 15 years sky. Also you can get a now TVs entertainment and cinema pass for 12 months for £99 at the minute which would save me £30 a month and I was on 60%offf
    Once I purchase the box at about £165 there will be no going back

Was there a specific Freesat box you had in mind? I haven't considered Freesat and was just thinking about Freeview. I live in a flat and only have one satellite feed, so wondering if the Freesat Box will still be limited to only be able to watch/record one thing at a time.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I'm afraid that the Freesat box really needs two feeds to work most effectively.

It looks like Freeview may be the better option, providing you have a good terrestrial signal. Do you have a communal outdoor TV aerial that works?
  • ccdorset
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Yes, I'm afraid that the Freesat box really needs two feeds to work most effectively.

It looks like Freeview may be the better option, providing you have a good terrestrial signal. Do you have a communal outdoor TV aerial that works?

We do, I am on a smaller transmitter, so we only get half the Freeview channels here, but the signal is strong and touch wood very reliable.

I have been looking at the Humax FVP-5000T 500 GB, but it is quite pricey at £227 on Amazon. The Youview alternatives aren't really practical as my router is not near the TV and they don't have Wi-Fi as an option. Not a fan of Powerline Adapters.
  • Mastanlem
    Options
    I have an old Humax HDR freesat which works with one feed only. I have it set to a welsh postcode although I live in Sussex. I cane record BBB 1 and Itv at the same time and watch bbc4.

I think the new models can also use one feed. For more advice go to the Digital Spy forum and enquire. Plenty of knowledgeable folks on the forum.

The new Humax 1100s also has the catchup services.
  • pen1
    pen1 Posts: 369 Forumite
    Options
    Humax sell a few single LNB feed boxes- hard drive not included- to which you can add an external hard drive. The current model retails for about £99 and includes wi-fi:
    https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/freesat/humax-hb-1100s-smart-freesat-receiver-now-with-wifi.html

I have the earlier model- as at https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/hb-1000s-94e552.html

This model records smoothly with an external hard drive, interacting with the EPG, as you would expect if the hard drive were internal. It doesn't include wi-fi, however.

Humax also sell refurbished models, with 12 month guarantees:
    https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.html

Shipping is according to weight and will generally add £7 to the displayed prices.

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product-category/freesat/

The above includes links to "Humax Direct". However, other retailers also have new stock and in some instances are cheaper.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm in my cancellation period and the best Sky have done is offer me Sky Cinema for £10 a month. I currently have 50% off Sky Cinema and Box Sets and the best an advisor could offer me was a 40% discount even when I said I would cancel. I think I'll need to look into Freesat boxes as well because I only have a satellite feed in my flat.
  • spreadtrader
    Options
    After a bit of research I think the humax free sat box with 1tb storage for around £200 gives the best value. Also if you wanted you could get a Now tv pass for Sky cinema and entertainment for £99 for 12 months and basically have all the channels sky offer with the pause live tv and record functions on the free sat.
    Think I would recover my costs well within a year and I was on 60% off
    [
  • copels
    copels Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2017 at 6:50PM
    Options
    I'm paying £130 / month for Fibre unlimited, calls, Multi-room, Variety pack, Cinema, Sports, HD.

I'd like SKYQ (been with Sky for 15 years so get free install) but the best deal they've offered me on message service is:

Soooo.. If I were to change the structure of the TV package and so that you are on the boxsets bundle with sports, cinema and sports HD, I would be able to offer: - 20% off the boxstes bundle for 18 months on an 18 month term with a one off £10 admin fee automatically added to the next bill -£20 complete sports for 18 month son an 18 month term -£10 cinema for 18 months on an 18 month term -£2 sports HD instead of £6 for 18 months on an 18 month term. That would bring the monthly cost down to about £74.40 a month for the complete bundle with multiscreen :) (it would be £10 less if you chose to remove the cinema) With the the upgrade to Sky Q 2tb with 3 mini boxses, as you a black tier sky vip customer I would be able to offer the 2TB and the first mini box for free instead of the £85 that would have been.. The next two mini boxes after that would be £99 each normally but I could do these for £168 for both for the install and activation :) ​​​​​​​ We would send you a new broadband hub free of charge as well!

For the broadband I would be able to upgrade you to fibre max with £10 off for as long as you have sports and line rental with us :) .. That would mean instead of paying the standard £25 for that you would pay £15, line rental would be £18.99 and your anytime call package would be £8 :)

I make that £117 a month so not much of a saving.

Should I just go for BT Infinity (which includes BT Sport which the kids want) and a basic TV package?

Any guidance on what is a reasonable price to pay for SKY appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE

The advisor I am speaking with has suggested I can have the best of both worlds - move to BT Infinity (and get BT Sports) and keep the TV package with SKY. He is concerned that if I cancel I would lose the tenure on my account (17 years) and no longer be eligible to the free SKYQ upgrade! Any advice how to proceed?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback