Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Good job Nathan - Was that the first call back or when you called to cancel?
  • nathanhill69
    Options
    chib wrote: »
    Good job Nathan - Was that the first call back or when you called to cancel?

I cancelled the contract on Monday and this was the first call back from the retentions team 48 Hours later (actually second time they called as missed a call a couple hours previous). As is always the case, you have to "cancel" your contract before you get access to the better deals by way of them calling you.

My tip for people is make sure you have your mobile number, or number they are likely to catch you on, recorded on your account so you receive the call as seems like they work office hours (I might be wrong on that point).
  • cici71
    cici71 Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with Virgin Media for years. I often call and haggle a good deal. However I don't think they're offering me a good deal anymore. I rang last month and wasn't happy with the deal offered so just left it. I rang again today hoping somebody different may offer a better deal. They didn't. I've never done it before but I went one step further and have booked the disconnection date. It's not for a month. Will I get a call from someone offering me a fantastic deal?? Or should I call back and accept the feeble offer? Anyone else gone this far and had luck? Btw...I have no intention on leaving as want to /have to stay with VM. Thanks.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are you going to do if they actually disconnect ??
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've frequently haggled the price down it's possible, indeed probable, that you're no longer profitable to them and they'll be happy to let you go. They're in business to make a profit after all.
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    If you've frequently haggled the price down it's possible, indeed probable, that you're no longer profitable to them and they'll be happy to let you go. They're in business to make a profit after all.

Rubbish! The equipment is there, the services are in place anyway, you're not costing them anymore to receive channels that are being streamed across the network anyway, so they're better to get something out of you as opposed to nothing. That's not to say they won't play hardball though.

I just phoned up and spent 25 minutes trying to get a better deal, but the only deal they offered me was a cut in the services I have for a corresponding price cut. I asked about 4 times to give my notice and each time they wouldn't take it, arguing that their Mix package was the equivalent of Sky's Entertainment pack. Ended up saying just leave it as is and I'll phone back later because we were going round in circles.

So they've p!ssed me off now and I'll be calling back later today to hopefully get someone who is not as stubborn and will put the notice through.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    c_smith wrote: »
    Rubbish! The equipment is there, the services are in place anyway,

If services are in demand in a particular area, they may decide to free up equipment to attract higher spending customers. OR they may just to decide to play hardball for a couple of months to re-educate the market that discounts are not quite as available.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 February 2018 at 2:44PM
    Options
    People are still getting good retention deals as seen on here and other forums. It is a game but you have to be prepared to cancel and wait as it is the Outbound team who have the better offers. I have turned down one Outbound offer and hope they will come back with a better offer (one week since cancellation).

Some people phone up, ask for a better deal and get nothing so walk away leaving the contract running. They then comment on here that they have been offered little/nothing and are disappointed - what did you expect if you haven!!!8217;t actually cancelled? The inbound team rarely have access to the best deals, so are not being awkward or unhelpful, but are normally only going by what is available on their screen.

When out of contract (or 30 days before!) you need to phone, cancel, and await the Outbound call. If all else fails, on day 29/30 phone back and cancel the cancellation and then cancel again while you negotiate/find a better deal.

Some reports suggest ordering from BT or elsewhere with a number transfer can nudge the Outbound team into action - does anyone have experience of this please and how long after ordering with BT are Virgin notified/Virgin back in touch?

Many thanks
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    People are still getting good retention deals as seen on here and other forums. It is a game but you have to be prepared to cancel and wait as it is the Outbound team who have the better offers. I have turned down one Outbound offer and hope they will come back with a better offer (one week since cancellation).

Some people phone up, ask for a better deal and get nothing so walk away leaving the contract running. They then comment on here that they have been offered little/nothing and are disappointed - what did you expect if you haven!!!8217;t actually cancelled? The inbound team rarely have access to the best deals, so are not being awkward or unhelpful, but are normally only going by what is available on their screen.

When out of contract (or 30 days before!) you need to phone, cancel, and await the Outbound call. If all else fails, on day 29/30 phone back and cancel the cancellation and then cancel again while you negotiate/find a better deal.

Some reports suggest ordering from BT or elsewhere with a number transfer can nudge the Outbound team into action - does anyone have experience of this please and how long after ordering with BT are Virgin notified/Virgin back in touch?

Many thanks

I spoke to BT when considering going down the port number route and they stated that as soon as I signed up then they notify Virgin that I am moving providers and have requested to port my number. From what I’ve heard elsewhere, Virgin outbound ‘ports’ team are pretty quick to call straight after this within a couple of days or so hence you still have enough time to then cancel the BT sign up given the 14 day cooling off period.
  • alan17
    alan17 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I actually bought a BT package last year as the outbound calls offer was poor, for me the port number date was set about 10 days before my new equipment was arriving. So I had to wait a couple of weeks, then on that day BT requested to move it, Virgin called and luckily I answered as I got a good deal.

I then had to go online and cancel my bt equipment etc.
    It was a bit concerning getting so close to the new equipment arriving.

I cancelled with virgin last Thursday, no call yet. I have less patience this year and may just leave to be honest.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback