Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do retentions call back if you phone up and only give notification of cancellation of one or two service? For example if you keep the phone and broadband but give 30 days notice to cancel the tv?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    c_smith wrote: »
    Do retentions call back if you phone up and only give notification of cancellation of one or two service? For example if you keep the phone and broadband but give 30 days notice to cancel the tv?

I don't know but suspect that is just seen as a service change rather than a cancellation (though I appreciate that it is cancelling a service).
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    I spoke to BT when considering going down the port number route and they stated that as soon as I signed up then they notify Virgin that I am moving providers and have requested to port my number. From what I’ve heard elsewhere, Virgin outbound ‘ports’ team are pretty quick to call straight after this within a couple of days or so hence you still have enough time to then cancel the BT sign up given the 14 day cooling off period.

Thank you. Did you activate the port and VM come up with a better deal? So far Outbound have only gone as far as £48 (for Full house including 100MB BB, weekend calls, 1 x V6, 1 x Tivo) which still seems expensive to me having achieved £28 last year and having seen offers that some people have achieved.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Thank you. Did you activate the port and VM come up with a better deal? So far Outbound have only gone as far as £48 (for Full house including 100MB BB, weekend calls, 1 x V6, 1 x Tivo) which still seems expensive to me having achieved £28 last year and having seen offers that some people have achieved.

Yep seems a bit pricier than my deal which same as yours except without the V6 but with complete sky sports package (I’m paying c£53 pm I think).

In the end I managed to get back in contact with outbound before I needed to activate the port.
  • ap823
    ap823 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    The usual annual procedure. Cancelled, then within a week received a call from outbound team with an offer which I have rejected. After several minutes on hold the offer was improved to £47.50 per month with 12 month contract for the same services as I had before:
    • Full House TV (XL)
    • V6 box and an additional TiVo box
    • VIVID 200 broadband
    • Phone line rental included with Talk Weekends.
    £47.50 is a few pounds better than I had before the cancellation, so I have accepted.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,113 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    For the first time that I can remember, VM refused to offer me anything! They said I was getting their full package which basically outstripped anything their rivals could offer, so there was nothing to offer me.

Asked to be transferred to disconnections and surprisingly (or not) they had offers for me!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to help a family member reduce his VM bill. He currently has TV, broadband and phone but is looking to reduce to broadband only (though I understand that keeping the phone as well is likely to work out cheaper). I've seen recent reports in this thread of people getting Outbound offers of £20pm for 100Mbps and £18pm for 50Mbps. Can we expect to get these offers with a bit of persistence or is it all a bit hit and miss?

On this Virgin Media Insider Retentions Tips thread there's mention of the Outbound Port Callback team. Is that another name for Outbound retentions or is that yet another team? Is a number porting request from another ISP sufficient to trigger a call from Outbound even if you haven't put in your cancellation with VM? Otherwise what's the best way of timing the cancellation request and the order to a new provider to ensure that you get a decent offer from Outbound within the new provider's cooling off period?
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Been with VM for about 5 years , 2 years on current plan. I have tried previously to reduce my bill which was in £90s per month for 100 mbps, 24/7 calls and international calls and XL tv and 2 boxes.

After signing up to a new BT package, I called VM to cancel and ended up with a better deal than BT but with added sky sports package. So now 100 mbps, Mix tv package, anytime plus international calls, dropped to 1 box but replaced with a new V6. £48 a month plus £150 upfront line rental for 12 months.

That was the first retention offer without any haggling, so I was happy saving £35 a month but with the added sports channels and no inconvenience of moving.
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone of the above new deals had their contracts yet? The reason I'm asking is that just having renegotiated another deal (yet again) I can't get a digital contract on the "my virgin media" account and as It might take a month or two to see what I'm actually paying after all the juggling of numbers etc. that I might be out of the "cooling off" period to cancel my contract if it turns out that the figures that they gave to me were wrong.
    I mention this as the last two times they promised me x price but billed me y price plus line rental, which took a great deal of time to get sorted.
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    onejontwo wrote: »
    Has anyone of the above new deals had their contracts yet? The reason I'm asking is that just having renegotiated another deal (yet again) I can't get a digital contract on the "my virgin media" account and as It might take a month or two to see what I'm actually paying after all the juggling of numbers etc. that I might be out of the "cooling off" period to cancel my contract if it turns out that the figures that they gave to me were wrong.
    I mention this as the last two times they promised me x price but billed me y price plus line rental, which took a great deal of time to get sorted.

Can their retentions people ever be persuaded to put offers into emails?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback