We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Joined 31.05.16

Options

Comments

• fay66
    fay66 Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    evening psl hope your ok, I am 51 and been bancrupt and now a bit of a mess if I can get myself out of it , Im sure you can x
    Debt £10k , HMRC £3K old debt £4k Jan 2021
    Had biatric surgery was 135k 2016 now 97kilo 22.1.20 up to 106 kilo 12.1.21
    Travel plans New York 2021 New year cancelled due to covid
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Advice noted thank you.

i don't live very close to London at all. It's about 40 miles away in a town with few jobs. If I sell now I will never get back on the property ladder.

This is kind of my outlet. Not really so much of a request to be criticised.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    No one is criticising you PSL we are all offering advice based on how we see things from what you post,maybe a public forum isn't the place for you to do this and that is fine but everyone on this forum are here for the same reasons to try and clear our debts (some have cleared and are here to help and support others)

If you need an outlet and feel those who offer their opinion are criticising maybe keep a private diary somewhere.

We cannot help if you don't want us to.

I wish you all the best and hope you come to a solution that works for you

Good luck.
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with StokieBecks no one here is criticising you, we can only offer suggestions from what you post.

I think you sound like a really lovely person whose struggling with the demands of peer pressure and keeping up with a certain lifestyle/ group of people

I don’t think you have had your TRUE light bulb moment yet. When you do, you will become obsessed with spending as little as possible and will not care about coats, shoes and handbags.

Only by stopping and not buying unnecessary items will you ever reduce your debt.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    im just doing my best and posting here because I have nobody to talk to about debts. And it helps me. Which is kind of the idea.
    I don't really need a battle here on top of the money battles.

I understand if I spend too much I will never get out of debt.
    And I understand that I can't add it to the mortgage and overspend yes.

And I understand that I need to watch mortgage rates.
    And yes I understand that people think I haven't had my lightbulb moment.
    And i understand that people think it's a bad idea adding the debts to the mortgage.
    None of these points need to be repeated.

But I am just taking it one day at a time.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • louby40
    Options
    (((hugs))) to you PSL
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    im just doing my best and posting here because I have nobody to talk to about debts. And it helps me. Which is kind of the idea.
    I don't really need a battle here on top of the money battles.

I understand if I spend too much I will never get out of debt.
    And I understand that I can't add it to the mortgage and overspend yes.

And I understand that I need to watch mortgage rates.
    And yes I understand that people think I haven't had my lightbulb moment.
    And i understand that people think it's a bad idea adding the debts to the mortgage.
    None of these points need to be repeated.

But I am just taking it one day at a time.

That is exactly why the forum is here PSL to post here for support and ideas as debt is not spoken about IRL normally. You have said yourself that your parents don't know, so presumably neither do your siblings so you cannot lean on your family for support and as you currently don't have a partner that makes it doubly hard so please continue to post. You live in an expensive city which isn't easy and are trying to maintain a lifestyle presumably comparable to your peers.

I think people are concerned for you which is why they, myself included counsel against some of the things you are considering but that is all we can do and please do not take it as attacking you although when you read some of the posts in isolation I can understand you feel a little defensive. We are here to help and support but ultimately it is down to you how you deal with it. I do hope though that you continue to watch your spending and your budget as in the long run it is you that will benefit from solid finances. Keep posting and taking it one day at a time and in the long run these small changes and economies will reap rewards.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • louby40
    Options
    Hope all is well with you PSL.

Thinking of you
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Thanks Louby and Enthusiastic Saver

I am OK. Hope everyone is having good Christmas. Xx