PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "I Quit Sugar" (by any method) support thread

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Careful what you wish for VF - if its exercise you want = then I've got a garden that needs a lot of digging still at the moment. Plenty of hard muscular exercise there and I'll be gracious enough to let you do it for free:rotfl:

So - any time you can spare a couple of hours....;)

Now sitting there wondering how anyone could feel like exercise - and feeling envious of that...:)
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Day 17 and no early morning craving for sugar.

My body is screaming out for exercise, though! Here I go....

Oddly this past two weeks I've wanted to 'do more'.

Not sure if it's the change in weather, the change in diet, or a permanent shift in attitude...
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Room for 2 doing that digging in garden - I've got both a spade and a fork:):rotfl:

Just been sitting here thinking of a poster on another thread saying she can only do 2-3 hours of gardening a day because of ME and thinking "Well - what's my body up to then that I feel the same?:cool:".

I shall restrict myself to a bit of gentle "potting-up" and a visit to the supermarket today and the rest of the day with feet up with a book or two. My excuse being that I must "rest up" ready for a group walk tomorrow - and I have no idea how long it will be...but I'm betting it will be muddy....:( (and that's extra effort right? - as in dragging feet out of mud at regular intervals).:cool:
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would like to quit refined sugar, so I'll join you to that extent OP? I have no problem with natural sources of sugar in moderation - berries, fruit, honey, maple syrup or sweet veg, I'm just aiming to quit the processed stuff for now.

I will try to make a homemade sugar-free version of Nutella later; toasted, peeled hazelnuts blitzed to a butter mixed with cocoa powder and honey or maple syrup to sweeten. If that tastes halfway decent, then that's my main source of sugar eliminated straight away!
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • thelurch
    thelurch Posts: 816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the subject of eating fat, I mentioned my friend at work who has eaten zero sugar/carbs for 20 years. His motto is only eat it if it had legs.(humans excluded)
    He goes to the butcher and gets the fat trimmings from the steaks in a bag, freezes then in little chunks and eats them like snacks.

He also eats mince raw too, and his colesterol levels are completely normal.

I won't go that far to be honest!
  • june89
    june89 Posts: 480 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2016 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Goldiegirl - I would join a low salt thread! I don't need to watch mine for medical reasons but I don't like it at all. So I add salt to nothing and avoid anything like crisps that taste salty. But even I can struggle to stay under guidelines some days just due to hidden salts. Especially if I have something like a chilli with a few tins of tomatoes and beans in it.

Anyway, I'm normally in the SW thread but I thought I would pop in here too as I've found I've been having a lot of really sugary treats (e.g. jelly sweets) lately which is not like me at all. So want to cut out processed sugars for a bit to see if I can kick this habit before it sets in.

I don't think I'll go cold turkey as I have some bits to use up (biscuits mainly) that can't pass off to DH and I'm too MSE to let them go to waste! So will be working on reduction for now if that's OK. And as others have said, I'm fine with continuing to have natural sugars in fruit/veg. I don't have dairy and have already switched to unsweetened soya milk. So I think it's mainly the sweets that are the problem for me.

So for my first official baby step, I ran out of weetabix yesterday and instead of repurchasing, I replaced them with shredded wheat as there's no added sugar in those. Just curious, where is the line on sweeteners, sugar free syrups, etc? I don't use powdered sweetener at all (don't like the aftertaste) but do add syrup to coffee, one cup max per day. Maybe this is another one to try cutting back to see if I miss it. Probably more habit than anything else!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have started my snack changes.

Made the cheese scones and added egg to the liquid mix for more protein. They look lovely and will be satisfying, I am sure. I made several single portions of crumble in small enamel dishes, for freezing. Blackcurrants with stewed apple topped with crumble made from wholemeal flour, butter and dessicated coconut. I had one after my lunch today and it was also satisfying, I didn`t miss the sweetness at all. I did top with a little ice cream though. Custard without sugar would have been good too

Tomorrow I will make ice cream which will be massively lower in sugar than the ready made stuff. I will be using double cream, some (but not a lot) of condensed milk, liquor, what ever I fancy tomorrow (just a small amount), plus a flavouring which will probably be vanilla extract. The alcohol will stop it going rock hard when in the freezer. I have a 15 year old gaggia gelataria, so it will be a matter of whisking it all a bit and using the machine

I am getting an online shop tomorrow and have ordered a bag of sugar free werthers, just for the times when I have to have something in my mouth but so far so good. I don`t miss sugar when I am busy so therein lies part of the answer, for me
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thelurch wrote: »
    On the subject of eating fat, I mentioned my friend at work who has eaten zero sugar/carbs for 20 years. His motto is only eat it if it had legs.(humans excluded)
    He goes to the butcher and gets the fat trimmings from the steaks in a bag, freezes then in little chunks and eats them like snacks.

He also eats mince raw too, and his colesterol levels are completely normal.

I won't go that far to be honest!

Most people believe that fish and shellfish are healthy options - does he know something the rest of us don't?
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am getting an online shop tomorrow and have ordered a bag of sugar free werthers, just for the times when I have to have something in my mouth but so far so good. I don`t miss sugar when I am busy so therein lies part of the answer, for me

Just brought to mind the effect sugar free mints had during one particularly stressful time at work...

:eek: is all I can say
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ...I will try to make a homemade sugar-free version of Nutella later; toasted, peeled hazelnuts blitzed to a butter mixed with cocoa powder and honey or maple syrup to sweeten. If that tastes halfway decent, then that's my main source of sugar eliminated straight away!
    Well I roasted my hazelnuts a bit too well - some got burnt. I added 2 level dsp cocoa powder to 200g blitzed hazelnuts and about 2 dsp of maple syrup. It tastes very good but slightly bitter, so next time I'll try to not burn the nuts and add only 1 dsp cocoa.
    Definitely healthier than the real thing and very, very rich. Soo good.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport