PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "I Quit Sugar" (by any method) support thread

Options

Comments

• thelurch
    thelurch Posts: 816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Angelina-M wrote: »
    Well i'm sure glad I read this. I eat no processed food except chocolate and I do have white sugar. I never add any salt to my food or cooking so I never have any salt.

Recently i've been feeling pretty crap to be honest. I've been having cramps in my legs in the night, my joints ache and now i've started with really dry eyes, so bad in fact that i've had to put eye drops in before I open my eyes in a morning.

This morning I felt so ill, shaky and faint. I sat reading MSE whilst drinking my homemade smoothie and read your comment and I wondered if it was lack of salt making me ill. So I had a quick Google and found the dangers of low salt, especially for people like me with low blood pressure.

I chucked a quarter teaspoon of salt in my smoothie and will have some more on my vegetables at tea time.

Thank you so much for mentioning this! I do believe its why i'm feeling ill when I eat healthily! :T

Our son used to get bad growing pains and we never added salt to his cooked food, so he got very little, then we were advised to give him salt and vinegar or ready salted crisps when he had the pains and they went straight away
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    thelurch wrote: »
    Our son used to get bad growing pains and we never added salt to his cooked food, so he got very little, then we were advised to give him salt and vinegar or ready salted crisps when he had the pains and they went straight away

When I wrote that post yesterday I was feeling really quite ill. I felt like I was going to have some sort of panic attack, I was anxious etc. I've done a lot of research yesterday and everything makes sense. All my symptoms are listed under the salt deficiency.

I felt a lot better by last night so I'm going to keep it up. I wonder if I would have got really bad looking at some of the stuff that can happen when salt gets dangerously low
  • thelurch
    Options
    Angelina-M wrote: »
    When I wrote that post yesterday I was feeling really quite ill. I felt like I was going to have some sort of panic attack, I was anxious etc. I've done a lot of research yesterday and everything makes sense. All my symptoms are listed under the salt deficiency.

I felt a lot better by last night so I'm going to keep it up. I wonder if I would have got really bad looking at some of the stuff that can happen when salt gets dangerously low

I agree, salt has always been demonised for its bad qualities so lots of people avoid it (apart from that which is hidden in food) but like anything, your bodies need a certain amount, especially if you are active and sweat a lot thus losing salts through the skin.
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I’m glad I came across this thread. I could write a book on my addiction to sugar and I’ll be honest, although my diet is better than what it was, I’ve given up trying to stay off sugar.

Briefly; I’ve always had sugary foods. I would spend my lunch money for high school on sweets. Every day. I’ve always stayed fit through various sports so I never put on weight so I continued eating just rubbish. All day, most days. I’d rather have a dessert than a starter. I’d rather have a pop tart from breakfast than something more suitable. When I worked in Edinburgh, I drove past Krispy Kreme every day and I’d go in maybe once or twice a week. I once bought 2 x dozen doughnuts to share with the office, but they only ate 2 – so I ate the rest, couldn’t have them going in the bin could I?!?!

Today, I work hard in the gym keeping fit however I still really struggle to keep my diet on track it’s definitely holding me back. I can’t go a day without something sweet. I tried cutting out sugar, cold turkey, last year and all I could think about was sugar, my favourite sweets/cakes/desserts. I felt ill and soon caved in.

My immediate family members only half joke that I’ll soon be diagnosed with diabetes, which TBH, I expect.

I’ll be watching this thread closely to see what tips and tricks you all may have to beat this. People laugh when I say I’m addicted.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 May 2016 at 11:08AM
    Options
    Thanks for the flapjack hints and recipes!
    I’m glad I came across this thread. I could write a book on my addiction to sugar and I’ll be honest, although my diet is better than what it was, I’ve given up trying to stay off sugar.

Briefly; I’ve always had sugary foods. I would spend my lunch money for high school on sweets. Every day. I’ve always stayed fit through various sports so I never put on weight so I continued eating just rubbish. All day, most days. I’d rather have a dessert than a starter. I’d rather have a pop tart from breakfast than something more suitable. When I worked in Edinburgh, I drove past Krispy Kreme every day and I’d go in maybe once or twice a week. I once bought 2 x dozen doughnuts to share with the office, but they only ate 2 – so I ate the rest, couldn’t have them going in the bin could I?!?!

Today, I work hard in the gym keeping fit however I still really struggle to keep my diet on track it’s definitely holding me back. I can’t go a day without something sweet. I tried cutting out sugar, cold turkey, last year and all I could think about was sugar, my favourite sweets/cakes/desserts. I felt ill and soon caved in.

My immediate family members only half joke that I’ll soon be diagnosed with diabetes, which TBH, I expect.

I’ll be watching this thread closely to see what tips and tricks you all may have to beat this. People laugh when I say I’m addicted.
    Welcome to the thread. People don't get it because it's not seen as a social menace until someone gets sufficiently offended by another person's size - hardly the same impact an alcoholic or heroin addict might have on society.

Day 16 for me and I don't fancy anything sweet at all. I feel a lot leaner and now exercise is back on the cards I seem to be stuffing my face with croissants again to up my energy intake!

Just thought to add that I bought a copy of Rachel's Holiday from the chaz recently, am hoping the story of a stay in rehab might put any sudden urges into context.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ladykernow
    Ladykernow Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I want to give up sugar in coffee. I drink far too much. :( Tomorrow i'll join you!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Ladykernow wrote: »
    I want to give up sugar in coffee. I drink far too much. :( Tomorrow i'll join you!
    I would recommend substituting every teaspoon of sugar for a croissant on the side :D

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    I think, if you reduce it gradually over time, most people can cut their salt very low without it being dangerous - but some is still needed.

You might want to chat with your doctor if you get a chance - ask for a blood test perhaps?

Personally - I can't cut my salt as my body is a bit broken (not just my mind) as I have an endocrine issue that means my body can't balance salt and potassium without a little help.

Before I got Menieres, I was still eating a balanced healthy diet, so I wasn't eating huge amounts of salt, but after I got my diagnosis, I went down to 1g of salt a day. I've read on the Menieres forum of people going down to 400mg a day without any ill effects. As I'm currently in a remission period, I aim to consume no more than 2g a day - by doing this I hope to remain in a remission period, well, forever really!

But I wouldn't be cutting this low if there wasn't a medical need for it.
    thelurch wrote: »
    I agree, salt has always been demonised for its bad qualities so lots of people avoid it (apart from that which is hidden in food) but like anything, your bodies need a certain amount, especially if you are active and sweat a lot thus losing salts through the skin.

I don't demonise salt, but I watch what I consume, as the result of overindulgence has potential for me to have some very unpleasant short term and long term problems.

I think if people have medical needs for cutting or increasing their salt intake, then that is fair enough, but for 'normal' people, they are wise to follow a balanced diet in all respects, and with regard to salt, stick to the guidelines and not have more than 6g a day. After all, a fry up each day, including bacon and sausages and then adding more salt at the table, isn't going to improve your health on a long term basis!

I think people are much more likely to demonise sugar rather than salt. On threads like these, I've seen people say they have given up fruit altogether due to the sugar content, which I think is a great shame.

People are keen to cut their sugar, which is why these types of thread are popular. But, if I started a thread for low salt diet support, I'd be there on my own, as there isn't the general interest about keeping salt intake at sensible levels. It's a shame really, as most people don't realise how much salt they consume in a day, as they don't pay attention to the food labelling, and there is often more salt than you think in many foods
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • thelurch
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Before I got Menieres, I was still eating a balanced healthy diet, so I wasn't eating huge amounts of salt, but after I got my diagnosis, I went down to 1g of salt a day. I've read on the Menieres forum of people going down to 400mg a day without any ill effects. As I'm currently in a remission period, I aim to consume no more than 2g a day - by doing this I hope to remain in a remission period, well, forever really!

But I wouldn't be cutting this low if there wasn't a medical need for it.

I don't demonise salt, but I watch what I consume, as the result of overindulgence has potential for me to have some very unpleasant short term and long term problems.

I think if people have medical needs for cutting or increasing their salt intake, then that is fair enough, but for 'normal' people, they are wise to follow a balanced diet in all respects, and with regard to salt, stick to the guidelines and not have more than 6g a day. After all, a fry up each day, including bacon and sausages and then adding more salt at the table, isn't going to improve your health on a long term basis!

I think people are much more likely to demonise sugar rather than salt. On threads like these, I've seen people say they have given up fruit altogether due to the sugar content, which I think is a great shame.

People are keen to cut their sugar, which is why these types of thread are popular. But, if I started a thread for low salt diet support, I'd be there on my own, as there isn't the general interest about keeping salt intake at sensible levels. It's a shame really, as most people don't realise how much salt they consume in a day, as they don't pay attention to the food labelling, and there is often more salt than you think in many foods

I think I'm addicted to salt and sugar tbh but agree with you
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Day 17 and no early morning craving for sugar.

My body is screaming out for exercise, though! Here I go....

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure