The "I Quit Sugar" (by any method) support thread

edited 10 May 2016 at 4:50PM in Old Style MoneySaving
285 replies 50.4K views

Replies

• ClytemnestraClytemnestra Forumite
    27 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I did this last year as a "New Year's Resolution". I did it as a two step process: for the first three months, I avoided sugar (and, largely, processed foods, because of hidden sugar); but I ate anything I fancied that wasn't sweet (favourite being cheese scones, which I love). Then, after I had largely dealt with the cravings for bars of chocolate etc, I started cutting out the snacks etc.

The sugar has crept back in a bit (occasional jam on toast, etc); but nothing like what it was before - and no chocolate whatsoever.

Sadly I have never managed to acquire a taste for good quality dark chocolate - I do better without!

I just wanted to say "good luck" to all in the midst of giving up - It is worth it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Quick note: Read your peanut butter labels as some brands can have lots of added sugar. Well, at least that's true here in the States. I have found a store brand that has very low sugar content and that's a big plus for me. Saving! And low sugar.

meridian, biona etc. Important to read labels. I use peanut butter which only uses peanuts

clyemnestra, two stage is a good idea and I am adding cheese scones to my mouth hungry satisfy list. Will get some very strong cheese to give me that mouth taste that I need and will also use wholemeal flour
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1593642/cranks-cheese-scones
    lol, I still use that cranks book from the 70s
  • SoworriedSoworried Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We reduced our processed food intake a few years back when I took ill. We cut out all biscuits, cakes, chocolate. We massively reduced our crisp and cracker intake and we only eat rice or pasta once a week now. Bread we also limit to 2 whole grain wraps each a week.
    We fill our plates with tonnes of veg that we stir fry in a little coconut oil and a touch of water. We add in a dash of soy sauce and a few herbs or spices and serve it with what ever protein base we are using. Mainly eggs or lentils as they are cheaper than meat. We also use a lot of seeds. We add them to wrap pizza, salads and the stir fried veg. Great added protein crunch and very cheap. We replaced spaghetti with spiralize veg of cabbage cut as ribbons.
    Over the 3 years we have both gotten our weight down to where we can barely pinch an inch without really ever dieting and I am well enough to be back working full time :j Sorry brought it back to health :o
    I've adapted most recipes to be quick to make, cheap and lower in sugar/carbs so they don't have to be expensive. I base my meals around the super 6 most weeks.
    Good luck with your challenge and I'll keep reading :A
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • thelurchthelurch Forumite
    816 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I'm in....

I started sugar free nearly two weeks ago, following a mix of the principles of the low or zero carb diets ( I know diets don't work lol )

I'm a firefighter and have been for 20 years and have always battled with my weight. Every medical I'm assessed as morbidly obese, but I've got a big frame and I don't take too much notice of BMI. I can still do my job and pass fitness tests etc.

Last year I went sugar free about the same time, and had stuck to 20g of carbs a day for 4 months, It enabled me to get back into road running and before long I was running 20 miles still on 20g of carbs a day. I'd never felt better.

But then my dad died and it sent me completely off the wagon, I started drinking again, way too much, and we all know what that does to your will power for avoiding the bad foods.

I'm over that now so am restarting, especially as the moobs have returned!

I'm also the sort of person who can't reduce my alcohol or reduce some things, I have to cut it out completely.
    I don't have the will power otherwise, but limiting myself to 20g of carbs a day is different. It gives me incredible will power as this method converts your body to ketosis which would be ruined by suddenly having the odd piece of toast.

There is a guy on another station who has only eaten meat for 20 years, he hasn't eaten anything else. He drinks coffee with double cream and he's in the best shape ever, colesterol levels normal.

I find the biggest battle is boredom snacking but I find once I get to about week 3 of doing this my blood sugar levels are so level that I just don't get hungry, I have to force myself to nibble throughout the day. It's important to drink lots of water to flush out the nasties.

So that's me.
  • I'm going to join you all too.

I have gone from pre diabetic to one pregnancy with gestational diabetes to now developing type 2 diabetes and understand that is need to control my sugar intake as much as possible.

I'm going to cut down things like biscuit and treats to half of what I'm currently having and then reduce again.

I find the more sugary things I eat the hungrier I am overall. So hopefully I will decrease my hunger too.
    TSB CC- £1327.34
    VIRGIN CC -£726.43
    Barclaycard - £3709.87
    TSB OD - £1500
    Next - £446.03
    Total - £7709.67
  • WantToBeSEWantToBeSE Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    They only really kicked in at day 11 for me in the form of headache / flu-like symptoms, but now I've had my banana bread the brain's been satisfied and the body feels well. I'm paying attention to Sarah Wilson's advice and hope to stick to it.

Am vegetarian but have upped the mozzarella and strained yoghurt intake considerably for protein. I quit my vegan diet some years ago because I worried about my calcium and iron intake.

Really glad you joined us btw! We could all do with your support.

Thanks Vf :)

I see people mentioning that they are eating honey, croissants, PB and fruit.

I got great results by cutting those things out too.

Honey, maple syrup, agave, fruit, they are all still sugars. Croissants shouldn't be on anyones menu if looking to lose weight. i used to love the almond croissants from Tesco, i miss those :rotfl:
    PB, i either get Meridian (no added ANYTHING, just roasted peanuts) or i make my own.

Fruit wise, i only had 1 piece a day. Normally an apple. I ate loads of veggies though :)

I hope that helps a bit.

i am back on board with you. Obviously not with dairy/meat, but with cutting out the fruit and sugary junk.
  • Upsidedown_BearUpsidedown_Bear Forumite
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, can someone tell me how much a 'mug' is in dry equilavant?
    Try this :)
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/531168/cups-to-grams-converter
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a set of American style measuring cups.

I would say there are two cups to one mug
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I have a set of American style measuring cups.

I would say there are two cups to one mug

Oh sorry - I just use a mug....

I adjust the liquid till it looks right.... - sorry, all a bit vague.

:p

But it is quite forgiving...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thelurch wrote: »
    Last year I went sugar free about the same time, and had stuck to 20g of carbs a day for 4 months, It enabled me to get back into road running and before long I was running 20 miles still on 20g of carbs a day. I'd never felt better.
    Wow, that's incredible! Not recommended for everyone by any means - most of us would have a hard time visualsing what this even looks like (2 thin slices of bread, for the record).

Love the idea about the cheese scones, these cheese and chilli ones always go down well and I will try my brown bread flour in them.
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Croissants shouldn't be on anyones menu if looking to lose weight. i used to love the almond croissants from Tesco, i miss those :rotfl:
    I'm not looking to lose weight (have actually not exercised for a few days now in an attempt to conserve a bit of energy) but can't deny myself everything. I just go nuts on sweet pastries, can't help myself but also know I can't be trusted alone with a pack. You're right about the almond croissants, made with raspberry jam are my favourite. Feels so long ago now....
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion