PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "I Quit Sugar" (by any method) support thread

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You do know that potatoes raise blood glucose levels more than sugar? I know you are transitioning but don't stay with simple carbs too long. If you are going to eat carbs, it will be important to start including complex carbs to help with cravings. If you are not vegetarian then meat and eggs are a good source for fullness. Boil some eggs to take with you when you aren't going to have time to fix breakfast the next morning. There are lots of tricks that diabetics use to stay off sugar. I know you are not diabetic but it might help you to peruse some online tips for snacks etc. :) If you stay with just bread and potatoes the sugar cravings are never far away.
    This is a new way of eating.
    I am a strict vegetarian, but agree protein and fat are a good idea to avoid an insulin surge.

The potato salad that I had the foresight to make yesterday was made with single cream, and loaded with celery and spring onions so plenty to slow down the carb release. Followed by a v small serving of strawberries and cream. Did the job nicely, but the lesson is to be prepared with the right food on the go.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • readingfc4ever
    Options
    I have been following a low carb high fat way of eating.
    There are some fantastic recipes etc on the websites 'Ditch the carbs' & Diet Doctor'.
    Good luck everyone on cutting out sugar.
  • june89
    june89 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Options
    jackieblack - Could you look at different marmalades? I very rarely have jam but when I do, I always treat myself to the St Dalfour ones. They're not drastically lower in sugar but the fact they're fruit sweetened rather than sugar sweetened makes me feel better. And they're delicious! There's also ones made with sweetener if you're not opposed to that.

For those asking about Weetabix Protein - there is actually slightly more sugar and less wholegrains in those than the regular ones. And only 3g more protein per serving.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    june89 wrote: »
    For those asking about Weetabix Protein - there is actually slightly more sugar and less wholegrains in those than the regular ones. And only 3g more protein per serving.
    Thanks, I'm that case I'll stick with the original plus a small serving of almonds to get the additional 3g!

The recommendation is 0.8g protein / kg body weight, so in my case roughly 50g/day. Easily done with dairy products and nuts.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My daughter did the Atkins diet and had 'carb flu' withdrawal symptoms after a day. They went though and she was fine after that.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2016 at 11:33AM
    Options
    june89 wrote: »
    jackieblack - Could you look at different marmalades? I very rarely have jam but when I do, I always treat myself to the St Dalfour ones. They're not drastically lower in sugar but the fact they're fruit sweetened rather than sugar sweetened makes me feel better. And they're delicious! There's also ones made with sweetener if you're not opposed to that.
    Hi
    I've looked at different marmalades but there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the amount of sugar they contain.
    I actively avoid anything with artificial sweetener in.
    The St Dalfour ones look lovely but are nearly 4x the price of my usual brand and the jar contains half the amount!
    Maybe when I win the lottery :rotfl:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • nth2923
    nth2923 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I stopped eating sugar at least a year ago. I read Zoe Harcombes book (Why do you overeat when all you want is to be slim). Puts into simple terms the dangers of sugar in our diet and also the vilification of fat by the food industry leading to the obesity epidemic.
    Its a great read and once you are eating 'real food'' its hard to ever imagine enjoying sugar
  • june89
    june89 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I've looked at different marmalades but there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the amount of sugar they contain.
    I actively avoid anything with artificial sweetener in.
    The St Dalfour ones look lovely but are nearly 4x the price of my usual brand and the jar contains half the amount!
    Maybe when I win the lottery :rotfl:

:rotfl: They are pricey! But as I said, it's a treat for me. I rarely have toast, last jar went mouldy as I took so long to get through it! I'll probably switch to the tiny jars and just buy when required - again a pricey option, but I'd rather pay a bit more and not waste any.

I generally avoid sweetener too, only have my coffee syrup left because it's a giant bottle and I don't want to just get rid of it. I have cut back how much I use though, trying to work back to none.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Jillyjean wrote: »
    This is a great discussion. I've been eating sugar in large quantities for years and would dearly love to cut it down drastically. I'm 46 and have recently been diagnosed with osteo arthritis. I've researched this condition and found out that stopping eating sugar can drastically reduce or even reverse this disease. I've got a great incentive to stop eating sugar but lack the power to do it beyond about three weeks. I hope I can get strength from you all on here because by God I need it!!

It would be interesting to have any details of useful websites and/or books you have found on this particular aspect please.

I think a lot of us have either got it or worry that we might (I'm in the worry I might category personally).
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lynnejk wrote: »
    I have almost given up sugar for the last six months. I don't think it's necessary to give up all sugar unless for medical reasons, but I just think of most sweet things as an occasional treat.

I have porridge every morning and add half a teaspoon of golden syrup. I also eat three or four portions of fruit every day, I know they have sugar but it's also the fibre and vitamins etc and I do think the sugar is processed more slowly. Don't try to do it with fruit juice though as that's loaded with sugar and no fibre.

I don't eat biscuits, cakes, desserts or sweets at home. If we go out for a coffee I might have a piece of carrot cake maybe once a month. The occasional times we go out for a meal I might have a dessert.

I don't eat much processed food apart from half a GF basic pizza tarted up once every two or three weeks and an MnS £10 special about once every two months. I'll have a sandwich or toast or toastie on H*vis about once a week, so just two slices.

I have two squares of dark chocolate (80%) on Saturday night as a treat sometimes if I remember.

I found that I can't drink tea without a little sweetening and have found a product called truvia. It's made from stevia plants and I use the powder - about a third of a teaspoon in a mug and it's plenty for me.

I think eating is more about balance. If you look at what you eat every day and it's out of balance with sugar (or anything else) then it's good to address this.

I have found that not buying sugary foods, or if like me you have others in the household that want to eat them, then keeping them out of sight in a cupboard really helps. I have increased the amount of protein I eat every day and, if I want the odd snack in the evening, I have a few nuts (try to avoid the salted ones though)

Don't know if any of that is helpful
    Lx

this is exactly the sort of balanced approach that i am hoping to train myself to follow. I may have to go cold turkey first as self control when craving is not my strong suit! I was disappointed at the recent sugar tax as I feel that many sweeteners also carry health problems for many (as a fibro sufferer I am advised to stay away from aspartame, for instance, and other sweeteners have been linked to obesity and diabetes exactly as sugar has been)) plus an opportunity to 'train' the nation to accept less sweet food generally (which would only be a return to pre 1950's norms) has been missed

In the same way that instead of a clean air at work requirement we have a smoking ban, instead of an attempt to encourage a healthier palate we have an easily circumnavigated sugar tax which will encourage substitute consumption, with a good chance of more health problems to come.

Many thanks to the OP for starting this thread, which is advocating ways to achieve what I regard as being the healthiest combination of diet and attitude
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure