PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 April 2017 at 8:54AM
    Options
    houndour wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We've just had 3 quotes from estate agents all with different advice. I'm so confused and don't know what to do!

One says 300k is what the house is worth and what we'll get. Another valued at 320k (me thinking accept 310k). Another thinks £310k but wants to start it off at £325k.

Any advice from your experiences?

We sold last year.
    We had 3 quotes;
    £330k to get £320k
    £320k to get £310k
    £285k

We went with the estate agent that we liked best and he happened to be the one who said £330k to get £320k.
    You also have bear in mind any tie in periods, etc.

We accepted an offer of £320k so he was spot on!

I've no idea what the £285k agent was thinking - perhaps he had a mate he wanted to get it cheap for!

We worked out all our figures on the worst case scenario of getting £300k and having to buy the one we wanted at full asking price.
    In the end we got the one we wanted for £25k under asking price so were able to move mortgage free!

Good luck.

PS Congratulations Smallholdingsister! Really pleased for you - we were both on here last year, must have been so stressful for you.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TBH I think years ago most people only had one viewing and perhaps another further down the line for measuring up.
    I blame the likes of Kirstie and Phil (Location) who always say "are there any you'd like to have second viewing?" which has made people think they ought to have another look.
    I don't think P&K were around in 1977, when I had 3 viewings of my first property.

Three viewings is standard for me, and each one will serve a different purpose.

That first property was on the market a week and went to sealed bids, so it doesn't have to take long.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hoping Smallholdingsister - and everyone else - gets good news today!

We generally have two viewings, but often the second one has been after we've had an offer accepted. Last-but-one purchase (long distance as we were selling in Essex and buying in Wiltshire) we viewed once, offered, then went back to check out a few things as it was a listed building with some suspicious unfinished work we wanted to look at more closely. Glad we did, as we discovered a deal breaker (to do with an adjoining piece of land) that caused us to pull out ;)

Next move, we conducted a viewing of the house we were selling as our EA was unavailable. The lady viewing - who we'd been warned was flakey by said EA - burst into tears half way round and made an asking price offer on the spot, direct to us. Slightly taken aback we said we'd get our EA to contact her. We'd already had two offers at below AP that day (one from a cash buyer), which we'd not accepted as we wanted to see where this one went.

On speaking to our EA that afternoon, he confirmed her offer, but said she needed to bring her DH to see the house at the weekend (it was Tuesday) which of course set alarm bells ringing. They lived two miles away so not sure why he couldn't view any earlier. We tentatively accepted via our EA as they were in a short chain and spent the rest of the week biting our nails.

Saturday came and so did our 'buyers'. Her DH loved the house as much as she did and the whole selling process was tied up in nine weeks :D
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Lovem
    Lovem Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Any ideas on how to get a neighbour to shush their mouth? Next door is fine he is harmless...with exception to his mouth. He talks complete nonsense about one house on the street! Lucky for us our viewers yesterday bumped into him. I am no detective but I bet he put the nail in the coffin with them crossing our house off from what he told me that he passed onto them. I would have run a mile! 99.9% of what he said is not even the truth. So yeah :(
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    New to this thread and just want to vent my frustration... put house on market end of Feb and accepted an offer the same week from a keen FTBer... we then found a house and had our offer accepted. Have instructed and paid solicitors, got our mortgage offer. It all went quiet for a couple of weeks but I was in and out of hospital due to another life disaster and understood our buyer was away so wasn't really thinking about it all. A week ago our EA said he was suddenly having trouble getting hold of our buyer. Today she emailed our EA confirming that she is withdrawing her offer because she has found another house she prefers. :mad: Why do people still look at houses once they've found one/make offers on houses they don't really want? We cancelled viewings after accepting her offer and have spent money on our purchase that I am hoping will still go ahead, house has been off the market for 6 weeks, but all this time she has been hedging her bets and looking at other houses.

Anyway, we are away this weekend and have a viewing lined up tomorrow so fingers crossed for a quick offer again!
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Excepted offer on mine yesterday, and made offer on the one I want yesterday, excepted to after a bit of haggling 😀 Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. As wasn't far off taking off the market. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
  • Cinders:
    Cinders: Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mr_da wrote: »
    Excepted offer on mine yesterday, and made offer on the one I want yesterday, excepted to after a bit of haggling 😀 Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. As wasn't far off taking off the market. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

That's fantastic news, hope everything goes smoothly :beer:
    SPC # 115 :p
  • Cinders:
    Cinders: Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sulphate wrote: »
    New to this thread and just want to vent my frustration... put house on market end of Feb and accepted an offer the same week from a keen FTBer... we then found a house and had our offer accepted. Have instructed and paid solicitors, got our mortgage offer. It all went quiet for a couple of weeks but I was in and out of hospital due to another life disaster and understood our buyer was away so wasn't really thinking about it all. A week ago our EA said he was suddenly having trouble getting hold of our buyer. Today she emailed our EA confirming that she is withdrawing her offer because she has found another house she prefers. :mad: Why do people still look at houses once they've found one/make offers on houses they don't really want? We cancelled viewings after accepting her offer and have spent money on our purchase that I am hoping will still go ahead, house has been off the market for 6 weeks, but all this time she has been hedging her bets and looking at other houses.

Anyway, we are away this weekend and have a viewing lined up tomorrow so fingers crossed for a quick offer again!

What a complete nightmare, I'm not surprised that you're cross. Hopefully you'll get a higher offer from the viewing tomorrow :)
    SPC # 115 :p
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Sulphate what Donkeys they are.

We are sale agreed!

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and upbeat. This is a great thread.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We are sale agreed!
    Proper job! :beer:

Are you intending to stay in the area? (bearing in mind that our 'area' covers many more square miles than a city type of area!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback